Which Stand-alone GPS Unit to purchase?

lance1

• 1 year later...

I am ready to change navigation system. I have a GPS in my Ram truck that leaves a lot to be desired. It needs up dating but there is a fee for that. I'm thinking Garmin is the way to go. My question is what unit should I be looking at? I like a larger screen , and Ive been reading about some units made especially for R V's what is the difference between regular and r v unit. I like the idea of free up dates, traffic info. Thanks for any info

George the Greek  

Edited by George the greek
spelling

RV units have extra options.  There are ways to put in your RV height and dimensions so you are less likely to find your unit routing you under a bridge that’s 10’ high when your unit is 12’, things like that.  Some of the Garmins also include dash cams or the ability to link to one.

I keep thinking about getting a Garmin, but just haven’t yet.  I’ve been using the truck’s GPS but often double-check my route against Google Maps and the like - I don’t always agree with the route the truck chooses.

I have a Garmin RV890.  It is an 8" GPS based on a Garmin modified Android tablet.  An advantage of the size is the screen looks more like a Delorme Street Atlas image than a typical Garmin.  Lots of side street details, etc.  You can run it in landscape or portrait mode, built in WiFi - you can even use it as a web browser.  The bad - more than your price range - currently running around $500.00, although I bought mine on a Black Friday special for $399.99.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

17 minutes ago, vermilye said:

I have a Garmin RV890.  It is an 8" GPS based on a Garmin modified Android tablet.  An advantage of the size is the screen looks more like a Delorme Street Atlas image than a typical Garmin.  Lots of side street details, etc.  You can run it in landscape or portrait mode, built in WiFi - you can even use it as a web browser.  The bad - more than your price range - currently running around $500.00, although I bought mine on a Black Friday special 

thanks the 8” sounds great  the price is not the issue for me. The gps that came with the truck is not that good. And out dated needs up dating but is expensive to up grade. I’ve been looking at the garmins since you all mention them just have to decide which one 

I have used both a Garmin and the nav system built into my 2018 Ram.  I don't care for either one, but the Ram has the edge because it does well with weather, road and traffic issues.  My cellphone Google maps and related search functions do much better and are always up to date.  With Verizon, I very rarely lose my cellphone connection while on any major roadway and any lapse in service is usually very brief.

Agree completely with the RAM's out of date GPS.  I use google maps on my iphone for route directions but that one irritates me occasionally too.  IF we traveled more than we do (or.. don't), I'd look at getting the truck version garmin.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• 2 weeks later...

our coach came with Rand McNally installed so I don't know cost to purchase - however, we never rely on it. We turn it on for long drives because it alerts to state border crossings, time zone changes and speed warnings. But I will say - compared to the Co-pilot app we use on our phone, we have found that RandMcNally picks routes very badly, we never rely on it for actual navigation. We rely on co-pilot installed on our i phones...

I have used garmin many years ago and don't remember any issues with routing such as we have experienced with Rand McNally.

Best nav system I have ever used that works without any cell service is the one that comes installed on a Lexus, not sure if it can be purchased as a stand-alone, or if you must also purchase a Lexus - nice ride but maybe not practical for RV-ing.

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport