dishwasher

Tim and Peggy

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Studies have proved air drying is more sanitary than cloth drying. I used to have proof, my kids showed me the website once.

While that^ may be true , and , as much as I'd like to utilize the method , our coach doesn't have a lot of room to allow a dinners dishes and cookware to be air dried . 

Beside all that , the job getting totally done , in short order , helps keep 'everyone' happy . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

as much as I'd like to utilize the method , our coach doesn't have a lot of room to allow a dinners dishes and cookware to be air dried . 

That was one of the things I loved about my van--it had a six-foot long counter with a sink about 1/3 of the way down it. Dirty dishes on one side of the sink. Clean dishes left to air dry on the other side. I just had to put away the clean dishes before the next time I drove off. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 3/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, Ray,IN said:

Studies have proved air drying is more sanitary than cloth drying. I used to have proof, my kids showed me the website once.

Yes, it is true. 

We have a food truck, we can only air dry the dishes according to the state health department. 

A few years ago Dilbert creator Scott Adams held an on-line contest to design the perfect Dilbert House.  One of the online suggestions was to install two dishwashers.  Dirty dishes go in one, the other contains clean dishes.  As you use them, you draw from the clean dishwasher and then put them in the dirty dishwasher until all of the contents are transfered over.

Then the dirty dishwasher is run, and it becomes the clean dishwasher and dirty dishes are placed in the other one.  Repeat as needed without having to wash or put away the dishes.

If I ever design a RV, I''m adopting this and making room for two of the Fisher Paykel drawer dishwashers.

Edited by Lou Schneider

7 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

A few years ago Dilbert creator Scott Adams held an on-line contest to design the perfect Dilbert House.  One of the online suggestions was to install two dishwashers.  Dirty dishes go in one, the other contains clean dishes.  As you use them, you draw from the clean dishwasher and then put them in the dirty dishwasher until all of the contents are transfered over.

Then the dirty dishwasher is run, and it becomes the clean dishwasher and dirty dishes are placed in the other one.  Repeat as needed without having to wash or put away the dishes.

If I ever design a RV, I''m adopting this and making room for two of the Fisher Paykel drawer dishwashers.

IMO that is a much better plan than someone posted some years ago. The stored all their dishes in the dishwasher, put dirty dishes back in, when most of the clean were used, they ran the dishwasher.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

X2.  DW says a dishwasher is a waste of space and CCC.  Of course, she said the same thing about the washer and dryer....and so they were removed and sold.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 10:52 AM, Lou Schneider said:

I've heard that story before.  Makes sense.

My Travel Soopreme came with washer and dryer.  The dryer was elevated above with about 12" of useless space in-between.  I got a shorter dryer and raised it enough to get a FP dw drawer in between.  The hot and cold water, drain and power were all there.  All that needed to be done was box in the area which I did.

Now there are no dirty dishes around, they go straight into the dw.  My tap water is hotter than my hands can stand and the DW uses a gallon plus or minus.  I've seen by brother do dishes, by the time he finishes a sink load, the water is lukewarm at best, so I doubt they are as clean as any dw can do.  But hey, each to their own.  By the way, he has a 1500$ Bosch dw which hardly gets used.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:52 AM, Lou Schneider said:

You would need a 3rd dishwasher for pots and pans....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

5 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

You would need a 3rd dishwasher for pots and pans....

My Dave pointed out you would need to cook the same meals all the time so you didn't need different dishes.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GreenPete said:

A kitchen sink can run at a flow rate of 2-5 gallons per minute, while a dishwasher uses 4 gallons per use. If you are concerned with water usage, then using a dishwasher is your best bet. 

You can also wash dishes in a small amount of water in a dishpan - much less than 4 gallons.  We did it!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

You can also wash dishes in a small amount of water in a dishpan - much less than 4 gallons.  We did it!

That^ really does work . I just tried it . But , I didn't use a dishpan or I'd have had to wash that , too . LOL

I used about a gallon and a half . Rinse , included . ;)

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

That^ really does work . I just tried it . But , I didn't use a dishpan or I'd have had to wash that , too . LOL

I used about a gallon and a half . Rinse , included . ;)

I take it that the dishpan is already being washed with the soap in there.  Then we use that water to flush the toilet with instead of letting it drain in the gray tank.... saves space in the grey when dry camping and saves fresh water wasted by flushing the toilet with fresh. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I take it that the dishpan is already being washed with the soap in there.  Then we use that water to flush the toilet with instead of letting it drain in the gray tank.... saves space in the grey when dry camping and saves fresh water wasted by flushing the toilet with fresh. 

That's a good way to go . 

Might even help with unpleasant odors . ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

• 2 months later...

I think you'll find Corelle dishware is likely the most popular overall among RV'ers. They're fairly light weight, nice looking, nearly unbreakable, microwavable, and yes, machine washable.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think you'll find Corelle dishware is likely the most popular overall among RV'ers. They're fairly light weight, nice looking, nearly unbreakable, microwavable, and yes, machine washable.

x2

Corning outlet stores are a good place to buy just the pieces you need. My favorite piece is a 9" pie plate with a plastic lid. Good for corralling food that tries to escape your fork, good for storing leftovers, good for reheating leftovers in microwave, good soup plate, etc.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

37 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

Thanks so much for sharing! I found my own dishes that is  Camp Casual (CC-001) There are two different size plates. These are a great addition to anyone who loves to camp, has an RV or camper as we do. I could get these locally, but, with free Prime shipping it was cheaper and easier than going to our local camping world.

That site is primarily pushing melamine dishware that's known to be unsafe for microwaving food.

https://www.fda.gov/food/chemicals/melamine-tableware-questions-and-answers#:~:text=Foods and drinks should not,served on melamine-based tableware.

Dutch

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 7:00 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

That site is primarily pushing melamine dishware that's known to be unsafe for microwaving food.

https://www.fda.gov/food/chemicals/melamine-tableware-questions-and-answers#:~:text=Foods and drinks should not,served on melamine-based tableware.

Each of Robert Clark's posts contain a link back to his website, which has links to other products on affiliate sites. I've noticed this with another of our new members. It seems that these "helpful" links should disclose that they will take you to a site that the individual is running for profit. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

40 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Each of Robert Clark's posts contain a link back to his website, which has links to other products on affiliate sites. I've noticed this with another of our new members. It seems that these "helpful" links should disclose that they will take you to a site that the individual is running for profit. 

In that case, I probably didn't make him happy by pointing out the safety issue with melamine dishware. ;)

Dutch

• 5 months later...

We debated a dishwasher and did a lot of research and read a lot of posts about it. Because of what we read, we elected no to get one mainly because the storage space seemed worth more than the dishwasher for 2 people. 

Now, in hindsight, I would have gotten the dishwasher for one main reason. I don't mind doing the dishes, but I wish I had an easier way to sanitize water bottles.... We like to hike and cycle, and its harder to sanitize the water bottles manually, so wish I had the dishwasher for that reason.

Space is not an issue in our awesome class A kitchen, so I would not have given any up that I really need.

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

3 hours ago, Bill&Anneli said:

I don't mind doing the dishes, but I wish I had an easier way to sanitize water bottles.... We like to hike and cycle, and its harder to sanitize the water bottles manually, so wish I had the dishwasher for that reason.

We bought our first dishwasher to sanitize baby bottles. Same concept--put them in, turn it on, let them dry. Now we, also, use it for water bottles. Never had one in any of our RVs, though. Guess we weren't as sanitary before Covid-19 hit.

Linda

As long as you have a, Good water, supply and a tank for waste water, then Ok.  If not, then you should be in some kind of  park to have the supply and waste water deposals sites.  Sanitizing  can be a big problem. Hot water and soap for the dozen or so item you need to wash, each time . really to us is not a big deal. We do a lot bar-b-Q outside / cooking to reduce the orders and film in the TC.  What works for ....go for it.. OU812