dishwasher

Tim and Peggy

Peggy and I will start our own the road life in late September. I just asked the place where our 2014 Tiffin is being serviced (next door to The Villages) Alliance RV to give me a quote on installing a dishwsher.

Would love to get feedback about spending $1900 to have one put in. Neither one of us is opposed to doing dishes, but in the scheme of things this might make life easier.

Thanks.

Tim and Peggy

Dishes are so minimal for two people.  Plus, we grilled just about nightly.  We can't see a need for it but everyone is different.  I've never looked into them but we dry camped in public parks most of the time.  Do you need hookups and electric to use them?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We love our Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawer.  I ordered it as part of the purchase of our rig so I don’t remember the cost, but I am very happy we ordered it.  It actually uses  less water to wash a load of dishes in the dishwasher than to wash them in the sink.  I don’t remember the exact number off the top of my head, but it takes less than two gallons to run the dishwasher.  This has been verified by measuring the actual water output of the dishwasher.

I have my dishwasher powered from my inverter sub panel so we can use it with or without hook ups.  It is actually very power sensitive and requires a true pure sine wave form of power, so it won’t run on a non inverter style generator (like our Onan 6.5 KW built in generator).  When I run it from the inverter, I run it in Eco mode which cuts out the heated drying cycle.

It is nice to not have dishes piled in the sink.  Everything goes directly into the dishwasher (after being wiped of large chunks with a paper towel) and then it gets run when it is full.  We do still wash some large pots and pans by hand periodically, but mostly the dishwasher gets used (whether we have hook ups or not).

I don’t think we will be without one from now on.  

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We purchase our coach off the lot and did not order it, otherwise it would not have the dishwasher.  As soon as we took possession I removed all the dividers from the inside and turned it into our pots and pan storage drawer.  

It is simply a personal preference thing.  When we were in the sticknbrick we always used a dishwasher.  In our RV we never felt the need.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I didn’t have one in my 5er but my Class A came with one. I wash the dishes by hand but use the dishwasher to sanitize them. I am solo so it takes me a few days to fill it so I only run it a couple of times a week. It is nice not to have dishes drying in a rack above the sink. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Tim & Peggy, one other thing you may want to consider.  During our first couple of months of full timing in our current coach we re-arranged things not only in the outside basement compartments but also in the interior cabinets, especially in the kitchen.  We were seeking the best way to make perfect use of all our storage space, which is always at a premium when full time.

My point is maybe hit the road for three or four months without installing a dishwasher and see how it works.  If you can still spare the space and feel the need then start looking for a good reasonable place for the install.  Just a suggestion. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Joe and Cindy,

Great point and of course that IS the right thing to to. Figure it out, don't jump to any decisions, especially when spending updwards to $2K. So we'll spend the first two weeks in Bushnell, FL getting acclimated. Rearrangng things, donating thing to charity that "don't fit" and then we will start out. First stop will be Destin.

Great advice!

With storage space at a premium, we opted not to add the dishwasher even though it would have been nice. It comes to a matter of priorities and since you do not have one, I agree with Joe that you should try things our first before you spend the money and storage space as you can't get them back once they are gone. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Kirk on storage space.  But we do not have an oven other than the convection microwave and it serves us well.  We have a Vesta dishwasher and would not be without it for full time living.  

Where we refuse an add on was a fireplace,  It kills too much storage space.  We carry 2 small quartz heaters that store under the bed when not in use  and take up far less room than the fireplace.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We did not have a dishwasher in any of our RVs but we have one in this apartment. We store dirty dishes in it until we run it then we store clean dishes in it until they finally get put away. In the meantime, the dirty dishes are piling up on the counter. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 7 months later...

We not only don't have a dishwasher in our RV, we removed the apartment sized dishwasher from the Park Model home that we bought. As noted by many, two folks generally don't generate an awful lot of dishes, and the room may be better utilized for something else.

That being said, in our previous sticks-n-bricks home we had a dishwasher and never even considered hand washing. I guess it's all what you get used to!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We had a Vesta dishwasher added to our 5er about 3 years ago and love it.  We cook a lot from scratch, so we do get dirty dishes.  We do not boondock and we find that the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing.  

$1900 is way to much to add a dishwsher.  Have it added after market.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 7/26/2019 at 10:44 PM, Tim and Peggy said:

Peggy and I will start our own the road life in late September. I just asked the place where our 2014 Tiffin is being serviced (next door to The Villages) Alliance RV to give me a quote on installing a dishwsher.

Would love to get feedback about spending $1900 to have one put in. Neither one of us is opposed to doing dishes, but in the scheme of things this might make life easier.

Thanks.

Tim and Peggy

We've had a dishwasher in every RV we have owned. DW just looks at her dishwasher and turns it/me on.

Seriously, It takes me at most 20 minutes to clean up and wash dishes each morning after breakfast. By the time she is ready to go somewhere I'm done with my  daily chore. I like to eat, DW likes to cook, the least I can do is wash dishes and clean up after meals.

Once a week we take a break and eat out one day.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I can't help myself reading this topic and thinking "First World Problem". 

I would recommend adding a water softener to your RV if you have a dishwasher, since the water is hard in many places and that is hard on the dishwasher jets.  We have a water softener in the house, since  we have hard water and a dishwasher.   But we hand wash in the RV.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, bobsallyh said:

In the same boat as Kirk. As far as Pat & Pete's question, I do unless there is a first down play or a dunk! Then I have a tendency to get behind,

A little trick is to keep the humidity really low so they almost dry themselves . Then it only takes a quick swipe . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

12 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

I can't help myself reading this topic and thinking "First World Problem". 

I would recommend adding a water softener to your RV if you have a dishwasher, since the water is hard in many places and that is hard on the dishwasher jets.  We have a water softener in the house, since  we have hard water and a dishwasher.   But we hand wash in the RV.

The owners manual for our new house dishwasher says not to use softened water; I didn't buy that so bought a new Culligan water softener too..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Don't tell anyone, but I have had the same dish washer for more than 50 years and she still does a great job! 

Ten will get you twenty you have told her Kirk.😀

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

A little trick is to keep the humidity really low so they almost dry themselves . Then it only takes a quick swipe . LOL

Studies have proved air drying is more sanitary than cloth drying. I used to have proof, my kids showed me the website once.