RECOUPERATING - HDT & 5er sitting - Stir Crazy!

RandyA

I've had a few PM's and Emails asking:

Back Surgery was on the 8th and 9th (yes, two days).  I've been out of hospital 2 weeks today.  Incisions hurt badly - especially the bigger one on the left side.  Bored out of my BF'ing mind.  Only so much you can read before eyes give out.  Tele generally sux's even with PRIME and NETFLIX.  Can't sit for more than a few minutes due to incisions in lower back. Four more weeks with brace, walker and no bending, twisting or lifting then rehab over as many weeks to build muscle strength back up.  Not the most enjoyable way to spend the summer.  But, if they did everything right, back pain and leg pain will be gone and life normal again.  Keep posting new stuff - I enjoy reading the HDT thread.  BTW - Volvo still needs washing and waxing if anyone is interested 😎.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Hi Randy,

Nice to hear that you are on the the road to to recovery. Just think, it won't be long before life will be normal again. 

Hope to see you this upcoming spring,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Randy glad to hear your on the road to recovery hope all goes well. maybe some of your old friends from the Cedar Creek club could send you pictures from the upcoming FROG Rally, I will relay this to Torben as he always takes great pictures

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Hi Randy,

Here is an idea for you. Ever think about meditation. Maybe it could help with the discomfort of recovery. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Randy, glad you are mending well. Just be sure you do what the Dr says. I'm sure that Oscar is enjoying his increased time with you since you are not outside doing working on projects all thje time. Just keep on thinking about Florida...that should make you feel better.       Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Hope you recover quickly and completely. Don’t try to rush it. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Take this time to produce some dissertations that have been placed on the back burner due to time constraints. There has to be some projects you haven't done write-ups on.  Beyond that, take some personal time for introspection, Professor.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Now's one of those times I wish the country were a bit smaller.  I'd gladly wash/wax your truck for all the grief you've saved this crowd.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Randy  Glad to hear you are getting better. I watched Baltimore play a 6 hour and 18 min game last night and this morning. I know how uncomfortable I was and I feel ok. So you must really be hurting. So like it's been said do what the Doc tells you to do. Take care and I'll see you soon.   Pat

The Old Sailor

9 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Take this time to produce some dissertations that have been placed on the back burner due to time constraints. There has to be some projects you haven't done write-ups on.  Beyond that, take some personal time for introspection, Professor.

That is an interesting reply.  After doing the dissertation for my doctorate I quit.  Finding valid conclusions was like juggling a dozen tennis balls.  I've pretty much confined my work to white papers - a much safer approach.  I wrote for Woodall's and the Trailer Life directory until they were sucked up by Camping World/Good Sam and only wanted me to write about products or places that were on their income ledger.  That's not the way I write so I told them goodby.  I've thought about starting a blog again but I would most likely rant about congress and race relations which would get me into trouble socially.  So, after 20 years of silence I got my son to string up some wire for a HF dipole antenna and run a hank of coax into my man cave.  I dusted off all of my newest ham radio equipment, constructed a good ground system by driving an 8 foot copper clad rod through a hole I drilled in the basement floor and plugged it in.  Not much going on due to low sun spot activity but I did manage to make a contact with a Brit on 40 meters with 100 watts.  Nice but cell phones and texting have destroyed the glamor of Ham radio and RTTY.  When mother sun wakes up again and sends us a flare of electromagnetic radiation that fries every semiconductor in those cell towers our antique radios with vacuum tubes may be the only communications we have - seriously.  I have a Heathkit HW-101, a DX-100 and a military surplus BC221 receiver that are not "solid state" that are still operational.  Yea - as you can see I'm getting bored and close to falling off the edge.  Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.  I'm an impatient man and this is killing me.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

19 hours ago, RandyA said:

and close to falling off the edge.  Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.  I'm an impatient man and this is killing me.

From someone that has had the L3-L4 area repaired, pushed their luck, and went back to work and play before they should have, and now needs that L3-L4 fixed again AND L4-L5 repaired, do what your doc says.... Take it easy, don't push to soon...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Howdy Randy,

Glad to hear your on the mend.  Soon I'll be getting my left knee replaced a while later the right one, I too am going to be BORED for months, at least when we meet we can compare scars and talk pain meds like all the other ole coots out there.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Randy,

Glad to hear your on the mend.  Soon I'll be getting my left knee replaced a while later the right one, I too am going to be BORED for months, at least when we meet we can compare scars and talk pain meds like all the other ole coots out there.

Dave

Boy, isn't that the truth!  Already doing that with some friends. I'm improving and able to begin doing some light stuff.  Still not driving though.  Long way from working on the HDT.  It all hurts to get fixed but it is a medical miracle that we can have knees, shoulders, hips and more replaced.  Actually it is easier to do those than fix the #5 cylinder manifold exhaust tic on the Volvo - with Medicare it sure is a lot cheaper too!

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

23 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Randy,

Dave

I didn't think I was an ole coot, but if scars, pain meds, and sitting at home bored of daytime TV is the bar, I'm guilty. Patience likely isn't any better as a sophomore in high school, and back then, between a dial-up internet connection and soap operas, afternoons got real old in a hurry.

Glad the surgeries went well, and we'll be sure to see you back at 100% real soon.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com