The adventure begins with Texas DMV

txmilam

Waco district said no can't do it showed them pages from reg. Manual got supervisor he had his list of the mods I showed him the pics told me microwave didn't count in his as food prep.. Had clerk copy all my pics send them to. Austin waiting for there review. Also said I didn't change the truck cab so its still a truck  tractor 

This sucks. That is two that I know of that are having to argue to get registered as a MH. Texas seems to be leaning away from the "easy" place to register. 
Keep us informed. Touch base with Exile for the contact info in Austin. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I agree, that sucks. But many long haul truckers pulling semis have a micro wave in their truck. I have a friend who is a CDL long haul driver and he has sleeping quarters, a microwave, satilite dish in the cab. But DMV needs to look at the totality of the circumstances, maybe have affidavit that you sign that you are not a commercial vehicle, and get you registered as a motorhome. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• Phil D changed the title to The adventure begins with Texas DMV

If cooking is an issue, get a small grill and put it in the jockey box.      My lil Weber Q grill fits nicely, just keep the propane outside the cab. 

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

This sucks. That is two that I know of that are having to argue to get registered as a MH. Texas seems to be leaning away from the "easy" place to register. 
Keep us informed. Touch base with Exile for the contact info in Austin. 

I asked if I had a school bus and did the mods would it not be a mh I didn't change the outside of the bus...exile did send me contact in Austin when the supervisor seen it that's when he told the clerk to copy the pics and let Tamara handle it ... I hope I spelled her name right..I pointed out that it only said cooking facility with on board fuel source most people cook with microwave and it has shore power..

waco supervisior just called said he would not approve the change unless i could show him were the microwave ,heater and frig had a sticker that said it meets ANSI, standards for rec vehicles...also didn't know what private truck  was he said a truck tractor was 1 thing a cmv.

2 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

If cooking is an issue, get a small grill and put it in the jockey box.      My lil Weber Q grill fits nicely, just keep the propane outside the cab. 

Steve

I think I remember the OP saying in another thread that the items had to be permanently mounted.  That's how Ohio and Indiana are too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

54 minutes ago, txmilam said:

waco supervisior just called said he would not approve the change unless i could show him were the microwave ,heater and frig had a sticker that said it meets ANSI, standards for rec vehicles...also didn't know what private truck  was he said a truck tractor was 1 thing a cmv.

I have a 1996 Teton that I removed the fridge, heaters and micro from.     None of these have any ANSI or registered testing lab certs as RV.    I just looked up ANSI/RV and it seems the RV industry association RVIA is the source of this certification.     That is a trade group not a regulatory body.    Perhaps a call to your state rep ?

Steve

Edited by Steve from SoCal

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

31 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I have a 1996 Teton that I removed the fridge, heaters and micro from.     None of these have any ANSI or registered testing lab certs as RV.    I just looked up ANSI/RV and it seems the RV industry association RVIA is the source of this certification.     That is a trade group not a regulatory body.    Perhaps a call to your state rep ?

Steve

thanks socal...this guy IS by THE BOOK ..retires next week

Get with Exile and get the names of the people in Austin. Waco answers to them. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Most appliances like micro waves, televisions etc. are not made for RVs and are standard household appliances installed in an RV and therefor would not require an RIVA sticker. Ask this idiot where in the rigs is a RIAV striker required. No wonder he is in the WACO Office. I would go up the chain of command. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Get with Exile and get the names of the people in Austin. Waco answers to them. 

i was just going to pm him ill pay for his help.. just want you to know he's been doing this 27 yrs and knows what he's doing..also said mh  needs chassis coverage 

Edited by txmilam
Add more information

11 hours ago, txmilam said:

just want you to know he's been doing this 27 yrs and knows what he's doing..also said mh  needs chassis coverage 

No, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing.  He's a career bureaucrat that thinks he knows more than he really does, and worse yet, one so close to retirement that he doesn't care that what he's doing is preventing you from doing what needs to be done.  What you're trying to do has been legal to do in Texas for many years.  He's just inventing "rules" as he goes along, not following the manual.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Had a problem in MD. Some states like MD have a specific form to convert a vehicle to a "camper". In MD it is VR-95, asks you to certify 4 out of 7 RV "things" are in place, take the form in to MV and it's a done deal. Maybe your state also has a form like that.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

12 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Had a problem in MD. Some states like MD have a specific form to convert a vehicle to a "camper". In MD it is VR-95, asks you to certify 4 out of 7 RV "things" are in place, take the form in to MV and it's a done deal. Maybe your state also has a form like that.

tx form vtr 61 got it 

Sent you a PM

2014 smart Fortwo

A factory built MH can become a commercial vehicle - it depends on use.  Same for a tractor.  If use changes to RV and there is no evidence of commercialization why would it still be a commercial vehicle?  I detest bureaucrats that believe they are authorized to make their own rules and screw the public.  The ONLY hangup I had when I registered in SD was if I had a "bathroom" in my truck.  A picture of the portapotty with the lid up resolved that in seconds.  Good luck with your bureaucrats.  

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!