License Plate Location

SuiteSuccess

Can’t seem to find a definitive answer so thought would ask the group. My state of Tennessee issues only one license plate that by statute must be on the rear of a Motorhome (my truck registered as MH) .  I assume it has to be readily visible at all times if LEO crawled between 5er and truck. My dilemma:  I would like to build an expanded metal “basket” that I could put in my receiver hitch to toss my chocks and leg blocks in for easy access. It would be lockable. My question since the expanded metal is see through is that sufficient or do I have to remount on the box with a light?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I ain't Phil but I betcha the plate has to be clearly visible.

Just put on the outside of the basket

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Only toll roads I have been on are turnpikes, ill, Ind, Ks.    They have all taken my money gladly with nary a hitch  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I ain't Phil but I betcha the plate has to be clearly visible.

Just put on the outside of the basket

laughing-smiley-face-emoticon-smiley-thu

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

I agree and with a light.

smiley-face-thumbs-up-thank-you-huge-thu

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

Ditto on the back of the basket with a light.  If you were asking about CA, I could give you the code section that applies.  I don’t know Tennessee codes, but I would be willing to bet they have something similar.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Timon said:

I thought all HDTs were required to put their single plate on the front. In fact I thought no HDT only get one plate eve in CA. 

Varies based on your state. In South Carolina it is located on the rear. In Minnesota we had two plates so one on front and one on rear. I believe there is at least one state that requires it located on the front if you are commercial and on the rear of your are not.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

15 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Question.... if you only have one plate and it’s on the rear of the truck how do you use “toll roads”?

It's certainly possible you don't get charged, especially with unmanned toll roads that use plate-by-mail tolling.  Even something as simple as leaving the tailgate down on a pickup means no read of the tag, and with no toll booths or transponders required, there's no way to assess a toll.

It's kind of like freeway speed cameras in a lot of places--they're often set up to photograph only the rear of the vehicle (mainly so the cameras can be hidden behind things), and a vehicle with front-only tags gets through without a ticket. 

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

4 hours ago, Timon said:

I thought all HDTs were required to put their single plate on the front. In fact I thought no HDT only get one plate eve in CA. 

Tennessee very specific on the rear for Motorhome. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We have two hdt's, one work and one play, both licensed in Ohio.  We have plates front and rear, but the renewal stickers are on just one plate.  On the work truck, that stickered plate must be on the front, so as to be visible when hooked to a trailer.  On the "play truck", with MH designation, the stickered plate must be on the rear.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, Timon said:

You are thinking commercial registration and "Apportioned" registration. An HDT registered as a truck or a motorhome puts the license plate in the same place their respective state requires every other truck and motorhome to put it. 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

It's kind of like freeway speed cameras in a lot of places--they're often set up to photograph only the rear of the vehicle (mainly so the cameras can be hidden behind things), and a vehicle with front-only tags gets through without a ticket. 

The toll roads in Harris County, Texas use a rear of vehicle shot only also. I went through towing the trailer once. They snapped a picture of the trailer and sent me a nasty-gram and a bill plus penalties. I called and said I have an EZtag. They said the trailer plate wasn't linked to the account, so I told them to add it. They can't add a vehicle that doesn't have an EZtag. I said that was dumb, since the tow vehicle has one, and they needed better equipment. In the end, they sent me an EZtag for the trailer. It's in a drawer somewhere so their reader will never see it. But if they miss the one on the truck, at least the trailer is listed on my account now.

The fun was the toll road around Austin, they picked up the truck AND the smart, loaded on the bed, at the same time. They graciously refunded the $6 for 3 toll plazas after they looked at the pictures they snapped as I passed through. 

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

All the tow-truck drivers here in the Dallas area have removed their toll tags.  So what happens is when they pass thru a toll both the reader picks up the car being towed and the toll is then changed to the towed vehicle owner and not the tow truck operator.  The tow truck still has a toll tag assigned but leaves it in the office.  So if the vehicle being towed does not register when passing thru the tolls, the tow truck is charged the tag rate and not the non-tag rate.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

The toll roads in Harris County, Texas use a rear of vehicle shot only also. I went through towing the trailer once. They snapped a picture of the trailer and sent me a nasty-gram and a bill plus penalties. I called and said I have an EZtag. They said the trailer plate wasn't linked to the account, so I told them to add it. They can't add a vehicle that doesn't have an EZtag. I said that was dumb, since the tow vehicle has one, and they needed better equipment. In the end, they sent me an EZtag for the trailer. It's in a drawer somewhere so their reader will never see it. But if they miss the one on the truck, at least the trailer is listed on my account now.

The fun was the toll road around Austin, they picked up the truck AND the smart, loaded on the bed, at the same time. They graciously refunded the $6 for 3 toll plazas after they looked at the pictures they snapped as I passed through. 

That is interesting Phil. Anytime I tow thru Houston, I hit the Sam Houston. Never had a problem

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

That is interesting Phil. Anytime I tow thru Houston, I hit the Sam Houston. Never had a problem

It's only happened to me once, Glenn. For some reason the reader missed the the trucks EZtag, so they took a picture of the trailers license plate and sent me the nasty-gram. I wasn't gonna go through the hassle again so I got the trailer added onto the account...with its' own tag. 

2014 smart Fortwo

In NY, registration (license) plates must be clearly visible and, "shall NOT be covered by glass, plastic or ANY OTHER material". Technically, you can't even put a coat of wax on the plate (there are further requirements as to placement). These days, there are clear, spray on products that supposedly prevent a treated plate from being clearly photographed. I would expect TN and most other states to have similar laws on the books. If I were you, I'd locate the plate OUTSIDE of the box and, have a working light illuminating said plate when driving at night (I know; when hooked up, the trailer blocks the view of the plate. Laws often ignore logic and common sense). Find out exactly what TN laws cover number plates and, have a printed copy in the folder I'm sure you have.  The few extra dollars you spend could help you avoid trouble down the road. 

I have radio operator plates so all three vehicles have the exact same plate number. I one eztag and it is tied to the plate nu,very. I can go through the toll plaza with no problems.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Just to muddy the water....... NORMALLY where does a rear plate go?  Center, right or left side of the rear apron of a HDT.  My son (VA LEO) told me that on our truck with the trailer connected the tag should go on the left side so it could be seen as a LEO pulled around the rear of the truck in the left lane or glanced back in the rear view mirror.  I replied:  "OK, what if I am on a 4 lane road in the outside lane?"  (Note: Old photo, old tags, old bed design shown)

P4210189_1.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On 7/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, Ronbo said:

I have radio operator plates so all three vehicles have the exact same plate number. I one eztag and it is tied to the plate nu,very. I can go through the toll plaza with no problems.

I have never seen multiple vehicles with the same plate number. That circumvents part of the reason we have plates at all.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

13 minutes ago, Imurphy907 said:

I have never seen multiple vehicles with the same plate number. That circumvents part of the reason we have plates at all.

Quite a few states do this, and not just for radio operators. Tennessee regularly issues the same standard plate number for multiple vehicles, though they avoid doing so for multiple vehicles of the same body type (e.g a sedan and pickup get the same number, but two sedans should not).

It frequently exposes the sloppy work of photo enforcement contractors and police officers that review notices before they go in the mail. It doesn't look too credible when you take the stand and read from the citation that the dump truck in the photo did violate the speed limit as shown in the photo when the photo is of a red Corvette.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com