Bug Out Bag

LindaH

I know this subject has been discussed here before, but I wasn't able to find it on a search.

I'm in the process of gathering all the information needed for a bug out bag.  I've scanned items like driver's licenses, credit cards, passports, etc. to a thumb drive.  Haven't yet done so, but will be scanning items like the titles for our car and house, marriage certificate, etc.  We'll also be making extra keys to our house, car, and RV to keep in the bag.

For those of you with bug out bags, 1) Do you keep the original documents in your bag, or only scanned copies on a thumb drive?  2)  If you keep original documents in your bag, what do you put them in so that they don't get wet, crumpled, etc.?  3)  What type of bag do you use?  I've seen all types of bug out bags (mostly the backpack type) that come with a lot of things, most of which wouldn't be relevant to us.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We scan most documents for thumb drive storage as well as making printed copies, with the hardest to replace laminated. If the disaster involves an EMP (ElectroMagnetic Pulse) from a high level nuke or solar flare, the thumb drive will be useless. Hard to replace originals are stored in a fire rated lock box that may or may not go with us depending on the nature of the disaster. Our bug out bags are standard hiking backpacks in case vehicle travel is not available.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We had a small binder with plastic sleeves that we kept papers, including some originals. We used a backpack - easy to grab and carry & doesn't have 'the look' of an important papers storage container.  We know of someone who lost all papers in a 'fireproof' safe when their RV burned.  They opened it and it held ash.  We kept our backpack by the door & in the bedroom at night.  Easy to grab day or night.  It went with us when we went out siteseeing for the day and for RV maintenance appointments.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We use hard copies stored in plastic bags. I do keep a thumb drive with a backup of my computer in my pocket at all times but that requires access to a computer that can read it which may not be available in an emergency situation. We tend to grab our laptops on the way out the door but how long will they help in a power outage situation?

Our bag is a backpack that was not sold as a bug out bag. It has what we think WE would need. Our biggest challenge is remembering to swap out our prescription meds so they don't expire while sitting there. Yes we keep prescription information besides the pills themselves in the bag so we can get more from any CVS pharmacy that is still functioning even if their computers are down, too.

We find it easy to carry emergency food but carrying as much water as they recommend is not doable. I do have a LifeStraw that would let us drink from pretty much any source.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

first what do you need to bug out from?

that will say what you need in a bug out bag.

if a full on collapse of the gov kind of thing, no electricity kind of thing, no computer stuff is of any value.

mother earth got mad again. then yes have copy's of the most important things. but your bob must be light enough for you to carry for days.  have food, water, shelter, sanitary, clean yourself,  medical, heat, a way to clean water,. spare clothing  (for heat and cold).

Our bug out bag was not meant for national issues so much as it was for theft/fire issues. It was for if anything would happen to our RV while we were out siteseeing or in case of fire.  We also didn't like to leave important things  in the RV when we took it in for servicing.  We took our laptop and meds, also.  Doing it all the time became repetitive so it was automatic and just took a minute to grab.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, Sehc said:

If a document is required with a raised stamp, such as Birth Certificate, it will not be accepted if laminated.

Correct, and for those documents we have certified raised stamped copies.

Dutch

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We know of someone who lost all papers in a 'fireproof' safe when their RV burned.  They opened it and it held ash. 

The contents in a good quality UL certified 350-1 hour rated document safe should survive a 1700 degree fire for one hour, especially if it's stored away from the engine area and close to the floor. We've all seen the videos of how fast an RV burns, so even a 350-30 minute safe is probably enough for most circumstances.

Dutch

38 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Linda, we do not have a bag as our 5th wheel is our bag. It carries everything we need and if we need to bug out, we just hook up the truck and hit the road.

So, if your 5th wheel catches fire you are toast? I hope you have fire suppressors behind your fridge and in your engine compartment.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for all the ideas, folks. 

My main purpose for a BOB is if we have to leave the house or the RV in case of emergency -- like a fire.  I'm not really looking at an "end of the world as we know it" scenario.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda I do a "Fire" presentation at the HDT National Rally. In that I discuss a bug-out bag for fire....not for "urban collapse" Here is a document that describes the contents of ours.....it may or may not suit you.... If the link does not work let me know.  LINK

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, if your 5th wheel catches fire you are toast? I hope you have fire suppressors behind your fridge and in your engine compartment.

Linda

No engine as it is a 5th wheel and I have a 110 residential fridge. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Just now, rynosback said:

No engine as it is a 5th wheel and I have a 110 residential fridge. 

I'd still recommend you consider  a fire "go bag".  Nothing complex,  but if you have a fire it will be invaluable.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As Jack calls it , a fire emergency bag is what you are discussing. Most all documents, auto titles, birth certificates etc are replaceable. It’s valuables that should be in your bag. A bug out bag is a different creature. A bug out bag contains, a hand gun, ammo, knife, food, matches, clothing etc. I keep both with me and depending on the situation which or both I will grab on my way out. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Ours is not an end of the world bag. It is for when mother nature or local official decides we should leave home. Thus, it holds documents we might need in a hurry, three days worth of food and medicine, solar powered flashlights, and electronics if we can grab them in time, but no armaments. Living in Minnesota the likely scenario is a tornado or fire in which case we would grab everything we could and head immediately to the closet long-term stay hotel in hopes they haven't filled up yet. Once we are safe there we can go about getting more food and meds or whatever.

This building is well built, though, and fire alarms are by zones within the building. The policy is to stay in your apartment unless smoke comes in. We had a kitchen fire two floors directly below us and our alarms went off but the only way we knew its location is because Dave went out on our balcony and saw the smoke coming from their windows. There was a fire in a different part of the building and our alarm never went off. We found out about that one when admin sent a global email telling us it was over. I really like this place!

Linda

21 hours ago, LindaH said:

'm in the process of gathering all the information needed for a bug out bag.  I've scanned items like driver's licenses, credit cards, passports, etc. to a thumb drive.  Haven't yet done so, but will be scanning items like the titles for our car and house, marriage certificate, etc.  We'll also be making extra keys to our house, car, and RV to keep in the bag.

One of the reasons that this list of items is so debated is that so much depends upon what you need and what your reason for leaving is. Ours is based on fire or other RV emergency and in it we keep things that may be replaceable but take time, such as our passports, and emergency funds. I do not believe that there is one single answer that will satisfy everyone. I didn't base ours on a fall of government at all, but based it on a total loss of the RV. Those items that can be scanned can easily be stored in the cloud or some other internet access point and only need to be there if the originals are important to you, under our approach but if preparing for anarchy you need an entirely different approach. You probably also have different needs based on where you stay in the RV. We very seldom stay in really remote areas any more so our needs are much less than they were back when we took a popup and 4WD vehicle far away from civilization. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you truly believe the whole government infrastructure will collapse and all is lost. You are already prepared for armageddon. We are talking about Fire, earthquake, storms, floods and electric grid shutdown affecting generalized areas. I hope we are all prepared for those temporary, but possible, emergencies. Don't get into a position where you pay $20 for a bottle of water because I can't make change. In a disaster I will only take US silver coins. Keep a sack of quarters or halves.

5 hours ago, Sehc said:

electric grid shutdown affecting generalized areas

That's what made us decide hard copies were best. If you can't get to the cloud what you have stored there (and we have a lot stored there) is useless. Many storms cause power outages and our electronic's batteries will only last so long if we can even get online.

Linda

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, Jack Mayer said:

Linda I do a "Fire" presentation at the HDT National Rally. In that I discuss a bug-out bag for fire....not for "urban collapse" Here is a document that describes the contents of ours.....it may or may not suit you.... If the link does not work let me know.  LINK

Thanks, Jack!  From just a quick perusal of the document, it looks like I have a lot of the stuff assembled already, but there were a couple of things I hadn't thought of, so I emailed the document to myself to explore in depth later.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

On 7/16/2019 at 6:56 PM, Twotoes said:

As Jack calls it , a fire emergency bag is what you are discussing. Most all documents, auto titles, birth certificates etc are replaceable. It’s valuables that should be in your bag. A bug out bag is a different creature. A bug out bag contains, a hand gun, ammo, knife, food, matches, clothing etc. I keep both with me and depending on the situation which or both I will grab on my way out. 

That sounds like a "survival" type of bag.  Like the type of thing you would need if you had to go hide in the woods and survive?  

About the only "bug out bag" we have ever prepared is when there are severe weather warnings.  We will have our rain gear and possibly a small bag with some valuables sitting on the front seat to grab and run.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)