Crater Lake Oregon

Martin

So I am starting a journey across the country. I am fairly new to this and trying to figure it out. I am starting in northern California and I have reservations at a private campground at lake Shasta. Next I want to go to Crater Lake National Park - but I find it very confusing. I want to stay for a week or 2 in late July, but apparently the national park does not take reservations for the sites for hookups. They tell me it is first come, first serve.

I have a 35 foot 5th wheel. I am afraid that if I show up there, I will not be able to get a site and then what do I do?

Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience with the national park campgrounds at Crater Lake?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I checked and Mazama Village CG takes reservations in July, August and September for 75% of the sites the other 25% are first come just like all gov sites in the US. Call 866 292-6720 to check availability but for that time of year the reservable sites may already reserved.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I called them and the agent told me that they do not take reservations for any of the sites that have utilities. Maybe the agent I had on the phone was mistaken or misinformed, because it didn't make sense. How risky would it be to go to Mazama CG on a first come / first serve basis?

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

How risky would it be to go to Mazama CG on a first come / first serve basis?

I can only tell you that arriving right at check-out time on Sunday gives you the best odds at any first come place as the weekenders are generally leaving then. But, you can often call a campground before you go and ask them what their current status is to give you a better idea of that particular time and place.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 minute ago, Martin said:

I called them and the agent told me that they do not take reservations for any of the sites that have utilities. Maybe the agent I had on the phone was mistaken or misinformed, because it didn't make sense. How risky would it be to go to Mazama CG on a first come / first serve basis?

Get there early before check in but I would call back and you may get someone else that knows more than the first person. A few years ago all government camping sites even the ones that are on government leased land have to leave 20 to 25% of there sites to first come, we used first come a couple of times last fall and we always got in going east.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

If you can't get in there I'd suggest one of these two very nice parks:  Joseph H. Stewart State Rec. Area on Hwy 62 south of Prospect or Collier Memorial State Park at Chiloquin. Both are a very easy drive to Crater Lake for day trips.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Collier is a possible alternative and they do take reservations. You might want to check their website for availability.

They do allow walk-ups if they aren’t full, but will only let you stay one night unless you go online and book extra nights. Or at least that was their policy this past September when I stayed there. Apparently their website allows one to book a site up to midnight the night before, so they can’t say the site would be available for additional nights.

You might also check out the Diamond Lake RV park.  It is a commercial park with hook-ups.  There is also a USFS park next to Diamond Lake but not sure you would fit.

Diamond Lake RV park is very close to the North Entrance to Crater Lake National Park.  You can get to it via Hwy. 97/138 or come in on Hwy. 62 from I-5 (Medford, Or).  

It's all good road and beautiful country - have a great time.

16 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

You might also check out the Diamond Lake RV park.  It is a commercial park with hook-ups.  There is also a USFS park next to Diamond Lake but not sure you would fit.

Diamond Lake RV park is very close to the North Entrance to Crater Lake National Park.  You can get to it via Hwy. 97/138 or come in on Hwy. 62 from I-5 (Medford, Or).  

It's all good road and beautiful country - have a great time.

X2 on Diamond Lake RV Park and we did not encounter mosquitoes, since the campground is away from the lake.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I may have been the agent you spoke with.

There are only about 10 electric sites and maybe half of those are reserved for ADA sites.  There are no reservations for these sites prior to arrival.

Count on dry camping and if you get a hookup site it would be a bonus.  If you require hookups I would suggest staying outside of the park with a reservation at some of the campgrounds recommended above.   

Many national parks are just not setup for large RVs and electric which can go down at any time in remote locations.  No cell phone, internet or TV at Crater Lake.   We even had trouble with the land lines.

We actually just left Collier Memorial State Park in Chiloquin, where we stayed for 2 weeks in full hook up site, and used it as base for area, which included 3 day trips to Crater Lake (50 minutes drive to rim.) (Made those reservations 6 months in advance.) While there, we also drove by Diamond Lake RV park, and thought it would be good, closer alternative. Some considerations:

In June BOTH parks, and whole Klamath Basin area, is overrun with mosquitoes! Collier sprays maybe 1x per week, which knocks them down locally for couple days. Locals advised that once mosquitoes go, black flies move in, so...hey, your camping, come prepared! Our screen house was welcome respite at Collier.

At moment, east side road around Crater Lake still closed due to snow, as are most trails...unless you are snowshoeing. Limits your activities then. But, 11 mile trail around Diamond Lake is gorgeous, open, and good for biking...bring DEET!

There is are no decent grocery stores near Collier, so restocking is a 35 or more minute drive to Klamath Falls. Situation probably worse at Diamond Lake.

Number of other interesting things to do near Collier, like the adjacent logging museum, and incredible Train Mountain Museum site. Check it out on campground reviews.com.

Full-time since May 29, 2018, formerly from SE Pennsylvania

2017 Ford F350 CC Long Bed, Diesel

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

I guess that September is better for avoiding mosquitoes, since both times we camped were in September.  We only stayed a few days and brought our own food.  Note that cell service on both Verizon and AT&T is iffy in the area.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We visited Crater Lake yesterday, the campground is under construction and only 25% of it is open. We got there at 11am and there was a long line waiting for camp sites. They don't open the desk for camping until 12 noon! We parked the RV at Mazama Village and drove the toad round the part of the lake that was open (East loop closed due to snow) by the time we got back around 2pm there was still a line for campsites.

You can make online reservations starting July 1st. Personally I'd stay in Klamath Falls and commute to the park. Unless you intend on hiking there you probably will have seen what you need in a day.

If you are around that area Mount Shasta and the lakes around there are beautiful. The Oregon Coast is nice but busy, Consider McMinneville and the Spruce Goose at the Evergreen Aviation Museum. Mount Hood and the Bennet Pass East of Portland and the Columbia River Gorge. Watch our blog as we will be visiting them all in the next couple of months I'll post our Crater Lake experiences in the next couple of days.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Again - thanks to all for the responses.

I am trying to get the national park scenario figured out. I have booked a private CG in Crescent, Oregon for the Crater Lake leg, but as a newbie - it just looks like national parks are tricky and its difficult to make full hookup reservations online.

Please somebody - tell me I am wrong. ( LOL )

After Crater - I am headed for Glacier. I'll break it up and probably take a couple day driving break in Northern Idaho.

5 hours ago, Martin said:

I am trying to get the national park scenario figured out. I have booked a private CG in Crescent, Oregon for the Crater Lake leg, but as a newbie - it just looks like national parks are tricky and its difficult to make full hookup reservations online.

After Crater - I am headed for Glacier. I'll break it up and probably take a couple day driving break in Northern Idaho.

I wonder if the full hookup sites are handicapped sites.  It's very rare that you will find full hookups in national parks.  With our 40' motorhome we always headed for the first come campsites & were always successful.  You need to stay nearby the previous night and get to the campground early morning.

You said you're going to Glacier.  There aren't any campgrounds with hookups.  Your best bet would be to try for Apgar campground on the west side.  It has lots of sites but first come.

Full-timed for 16 Years

2 hours ago, Martin said:

I had an assumption that most national parks had full hookups - or at least power and water.

Is this a wrong assumption?

Only the major attraction national parks usually have at least some sites with water & electric. Few of the smaller or less known parks have hookups. Often they will have a place to get water and some have flush toilets and showers and those usually also have a dump station. The same is true for our National Monuments, also managed by the NPS. You need to visit the website of any park or monument that you plan to visit in order to know what campinng is available. Parks that have more than one campground are likely to have at least some sites with hookups, usually in only one of the campgrounds but you need to check with each park before you plan to stay there. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Martin said:

Maybe thats the learning curve here. I had an assumption that most national parks had full hookups - or at least power and water.

Is this a wrong assumption?

Here's a good article for newbies to read.... or anyone, for that matter:  https://www.tripsavvy.com/national-parks-with-rv-hookups-2912349

You need to learn how to do without hookups and you'll be able to stay in some very special places geared around nature.  It's not difficult.  You just need to conserve water and energy and do things out of the RV like exploring and hiking.  Read some posts on "how to boondock" and give it a try.  Also, typically, national parks have certain hours when you can run a generator and it's usually a couple hours in the morning, noon and evening around dinnertime so you need to plan around that.  There won't be any exceptions allowed.

Full-timed for 16 Years

there are sites a plenty out of the park, all dry. but free. just have to look for them.

and stop at the logging museum on hwy 97. and ask about how to get to the springs. worth the side trip. all free.

and train mountain on hwy 97 just out of chilquin or.

Edited by packnrat