780 Generator Install

Chad&Jen

21 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

There is an aspect of propane that should be considered.     IF you have a small air cooled generator cold weather opps could be an issue.     Forklifts and equipment that run  on propane have water heated vaporizers and even with that running in very low temps below the teens can be challenging.     That is probably not an issue for general use, in an emergency situation that condition could exist.     That said I have no first hand knowledge of these small engine systems, the propane engines I have all use the forklift bottles that draw liquid not vapor.      I agree that for intermittent use propane is the fuel of choice.

Steve 

I would assume if you are using propane for heat in the trailer, it will also work for the generator. Flow is flow, but if it is too cold to work for your furnace, then you have more problems to deal with! :)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

forgot pic of the Onan 8k diesel, sips from tanks and is very quiet. And it is working now! I think the 8k is quieter than the two Hondas. 

TzHC5S2l.jpg

I wish you would quit posting this picture. I get so jealous everytime I see it!!

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

I would assume if you are using propane for heat in the trailer, it will also work for the generator. Flow is flow, but if it is too cold to work for your furnace, then you have more problems to deal with! :)

The withdraw rate is factor, a small heater is not using the volume a generator does.   

Steve 

2 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

I wish you would quit posting this picture. I get so jealous everytime I see it!!

I'll send you a copy of the invoice it took to repair it. But all good now. 

1 minute ago, lockmup68 said:

I'll send you a copy of the invoice it took to repair it. But all good now. 

That is where I have you beat. I live at an Onan service center. They will hopefully keep it running well for me. I'm heading to Herrin next week to get the stinger(?) built to house mine. With any luck, by this time next month I will be running a 7.5kw Onan QD when I need it. I just wish I could have mounted mine the way you did...or under the right side fairing...oh well, Plan A, B and C shot to hell, on with Plan D. 

2014 smart Fortwo

I hear ya. Mine was a controller board went out. Up until that point, It just flat worked. You can't just replace the controller board on the older design, have to replace the entire inverter head to which the controller board is soldered. :( 

I'm seriously thinking about moving the gen set to the drivers side rear side, right behind the tires, same position it is in now, but to the drivers side outside the framerail, and move the hitch forward into the spot where the genset is. I could shorten up the bed by 3 feet or so.

AC fix first......

Edited by lockmup68

The idea of mounting b/w the frame rails has crossed my mind but service could be a problem.  There is a pic or pics out there of a generator mounted on a slide which came out the back of the truck.  Much the same as motorhome installations. I'm not sure if the door came out with the generator slide or swung out of the way.

Sliding out would cause some issues for wiring.

7 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

The withdraw rate is factor, a small heater is not using the volume a generator does.   

Steve 

True.  Evaporation is what makes yout a/c work......... and keeps the ice box.....iceeeeee.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 6/17/2019 at 3:53 PM, lockmup68 said:

forgot pic of the Onan 8k diesel, sips from tanks and is very quiet. And it is working now! I think the 8k is quieter than the two Hondas. 

TzHC5S2l.jpg

Wow!  That is really quiet!  I can't even hear it!!!!😀

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I mounted my Onan in a tool box that I got from Vander Haags salvage yard. I had an electrician run outlets and a breaker box. I have one 30 amp and two 20 amps on the bed. Four 20 amp outlets inside the cab. I got a 50 gallon John Deere fuel tank. Mounted to the bed. Bolted through the cross member and to the headache rack using the factory mounts. I have run the exhaust through 2 car mufflers. It is very quiet.

UFes7wNl.jpg

AEMOH2zl.jpg

WPctp4tl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an Onan Propane 5500 for the Redwood. It runs well and does what it's asked, but kinda has a drinking problem. I make sure we are full when we leave. I don't want to wreck the train, but I'd sure like to find a 7500 or + diesel for the bed of the hauler to marriage to the rig 

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

2 hours ago, NTPA Announcer said:

We have an Onan Propane 5500 for the Redwood. It runs well and does what it's asked, but kinda has a drinking problem. I make sure we are full when we leave. I don't want to wreck the train, but I'd sure like to find a 7500 or + diesel for the bed of the hauler to marriage to the rig 

Propane has many btu’s less per pound than gasohol and even more less than summer deezil fewl. It’s why deezil engines are “more efficient”...

btu’s per lb and high compressions. Rudolph Diesel was pretty intelligent for a guy without a smart phone 😁

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, NTPA Announcer said:

I'd sure like to find a 7500 or + diesel for the bed of the hauler to marriage to the rig 

I just picked my truck up from Herrin Welding today. The box is done....I've got to clean up the carbon from being run with a broken exhaust, wire it up and then get the bed liner applied to it and the bed and that project will be done. 1 down, 467 million projects to go.
 I couldn't pass up that commercial grade 7.5kw Onan QD. 
Pictures here

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

On 7/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, NTPA Announcer said:

Exactly. It was in the coach when we bought it. I’m grateful for the constant power when needed. 

And LPG stays happy in storage - no gasohol absorbing water - no diesel growing algae...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 1 month later...

Are any of you home fab folks using the space behind the chassis fairings?  (I don't mean the flip open step fairings)  I have space in front of my tanks that I would like to use for a Honda 2000 inverter gen, but no good way to access behind the fairings.  They are a bit broken and I might just ditch them altogether.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 8/18/2019 at 1:17 PM, Sculptor said:

Are any of you home fab folks using the space behind the chassis fairings?  (I don't mean the flip open step fairings)  I have space in front of my tanks that I would like to use for a Honda 2000 inverter gen, but no good way to access behind the fairings.  They are a bit broken and I might just ditch them altogether.

You mean like this

2014 smart Fortwo

7 hours ago, Big5er said:

You mean like this

Thanks Phil , yes exactly like this, but on my 2013 that space is taken with the DPF.  I want the access like yours but farther back.

How is retirement treating you?

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

On a newer DPF truck there is not usually room to mount a "real" genset under the cab. We usually only have 22" of space for our APUs and in some cases less. There may be room to squeeze in some Honda 2000-style units. Every truck is different - just measure and see. Then you can build a custom rack as shown. 

We can build a custom drom that has an Onan in the bottom and storage above. But it takes more space depth-wise than a typical drom and you have to plan your deck spacing around it. That has the advantage of leaving side box space on your bed - which is more accessible and usable than drom space.

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

9 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Thanks Phil , yes exactly like this, but on my 2013 that space is taken with the DPF.  I want the access like yours but farther back.

How is retirement treating you?

Damn the DPF stuff. I went as far back as I could and then ran into the fuel tank. I've got the new Onan generator so now that is just open space...maybe i need one of those tiny motorcycles?

And retirement is great, thanks. I have no idea what day it is anymore....everyday is Saturday :)

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 8:03 AM, Sculptor said:

That's it!! I could stuff one of those behind the passenger side fairing. 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 8:21 PM, Big5er said:

That's it!! I could stuff one of those behind the passenger side fairing. 

I found a "better" one :) Mr. Cob will enjoy this.   I skipped to 15:32 because after the paint it takes shape.   

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3