When will the Chinese spam posts be deleted?

4 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Because keeping them out takes time and money. We have a volunteer brigade, that hides them, but the corporate IT office has decided they must be hands on for the final removal. Their time doing so removes their services from other issues, unless more IT is hired. Endless circle time. Invision boards, that the forum runs on, aren't particularly fun to oversee, either. In the past few years, the software has removed a lot of automated "housecleaning" tools, while charging more for the space. At the risk of a lynch mob forming, it may be time to look into a new provider. Think back to the last time the boards were down, and all the teeth gnashing, hair pulling, and wailing.

I ran a vBulletin forum for years.  It too has it's quirks and a rather steep learning curve. 

Having said that, once an admin figures a few things out it is pretty easy to keep, or at least limit, spamming.  To register, the person had to answer a couple of questions that couldn't be automated. 

There is also a function that limited the number of posts an individual can do in a set timespan.  The average user never experienced it, but a spammer who was doing multiple posts in a short time got throttled by the software. 

I could also block new registrants based on part of the world. 

Unrelated, but the THANKS mod was very popular and got tons of use.  It is a way to let someone know you appreciate what they have said without doing a "me too" post.

Having said all that, after years of running a forum, I greatly appreciate those who put forth the effort to keep a forum like this running.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

2 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Having said all that, after years of running a forum, I greatly appreciate those who put forth the effort to keep a forum like this running.

Thank you for taking notice. We do this mostly to help out the club and our fellow RV folks and get nothing but satisfaction for the work. And of course, we also get lots of free advice!  😎

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 6/23/2019 at 6:42 AM, Sehc said:

But why do I only see them on this forum?

Pretty hard question to answer since we're not you and we're not watching you online, but I see them in various places.  We used to have them on my forum until we blocked Russia and China, and added the IQ test to sign up.