When will the Chinese spam posts be deleted?

On 6/12/2019 at 6:23 AM, Twotoes said:

How do you know its Chinese and not Korean? 

I listen to a lot of Asian music . . .

Korean uses "circles" = 축하해주신 모든 분들 감사합니다

Japanese has lots of curves = ずーっと行きたかった所やっといけた

Thai uses curves, circles & accents = ที่ไหนสักแห่งเหนือสายรุ้ง

Chinese looks like buildings to me = 美国文凭办理微信

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I was a site administrator for a large RV site for several years.  We started getting so much garbage out of China and Indonesia that we finally blocked all IP addresses from certain countries.   

Maybe the IT folks can just block all of these Asian IP's.  I doubt if any Escapees are based in Asia.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I don't recall what it takes to sign up here.  I run a motorcycle forum with pretty good traffic so we used to get plenty of spammer signups.  Now we've put in a question that only someone with motorcycle knowledge would answer properly, and just don't approve any registrations without that answer.

9 hours ago, TXiceman said:

I was a site administrator for a large RV site for several years.  We started getting so much garbage out of China and Indonesia that we finally blocked all IP addresses from certain countries.   

Maybe the IT folks can just block all of these Asian IP's.  I doubt if any Escapees are based in Asia.

Ken

But you can spoof an IP address.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

8 hours ago, Carlos said:

I don't recall what it takes to sign up here.  I run a motorcycle forum with pretty good traffic so we used to get plenty of spammer signups.  Now we've put in a question that only someone with motorcycle knowledge would answer properly, and just don't approve any registrations without that answer.

That could be tough and exclude any people thinking about RVing that have no knowledge of it. Which motorcycle site? 

16 minutes ago, rynosback said:

But you can spoof an IP address.

You cannot.  That's a common myth/misconception.  I mean, you can spew packets in ONE direction in some very limited cases with a fake IP,  but you cannot engage in a connection with a site from a spoofed IP.  A connection to the site requires traffic in both directions, and a spoofed packet would get the return traffic sent to the real location of the IP.

Source:  Been a network engineer since the 80s.

Yes, you are correct as each computer has there own IP address/Mac address. But you can mask your location using a VPN. So unless you know all of the IP address of the spammers, it is impossible to stop them. The only way I could see is a stronger verification system for new members. But sites like this want to show high numbers of members, as I would think that they could sell more advertising. Even though looking at the active members is the real key.

So put about 5 RV related questions up for answers....no answers, no entry.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

So put about 5 RV related questions up for answers....no answers, no entry.

Ken

First of all, if you require new members to have RV knowledge, then that would eliminate new members coming here for................RV knowledge.  Second, it doesn't matter what RV related questions you ask, someone could come up with an answer from Google in about 30 seconds.  

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

But you can mask your location using a VPN.

Except that they just don't.  I deal with this every day for work; we've stopped 60-80% of issues by just blocking China and Russia on some of the most-attacked servers.

3 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I don't think the questions even need to be RV related - just a text question: "What is the sum of seven and three?" will filter out most robots.

The last episode was definitely human driven, not bot. You could see the time they spent learning the board, as they copy pasted several recent threads to post as their own. Once they had that down, the floodgates opened. There's no easy solution to this, only vigilance.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yeah, most of the spammers we see on my forum are humans.  But they still don't know the answer to the motorcycle question, ever, so that has been pretty effective.  Blocking China and Russia completely has also been a huge help.  I'm considering the middle East next, as that's another problem area, however we actually have some members who travel there regularly.

Not sure what format or even version that is being used here. I’m on 3 other forums and there is not this issue.  Maybe it is just about the settings that they have allowed? Two of them are using