Purchasing Fuel

bigredhdt

How do you purchase fuel?  I have been using my credit cards, but they limit the purchase per credit card swipe.  $100 - $125 is less than a 1/4 tank.  Also I frequently get shut down on the 3rd swipe of my card even with notifying the card company of my specific cards.

Do any of you use the commercial fuel cards like "fuelman"?

Edited by bigredhdt
Spelling

One of us will take a credit card in to the cashier & indicate a $3-400.00 credit to get the pump turned on.  Kind of a pain but it works.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

1 minute ago, redcrzr said:

One of us will take a credit card in to the cashier & indicate a $3-400.00 credit to get the pump turned on.  Kind of a pain but it works.

Todd

X2

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Same problem w/ swipe at the pump. My Costco card limits the discount to the price of 75 gals of gas. So I keep the swipes less than that. It will give me the discount on multiple purchases same time/location. But have noted a problem when you hit $75 on the nose more than once, it thinks it's a duplicate transaction. So I vary it by a dollar or so.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

4 hours ago, redcrzr said:

Todd

I'm the runner and pumper but not always the receipt receiver. It works but got me in trouble last fall. Inside I asked for $300 worth of fuel. I signed my name, my signature accepted and the electric power failed. The UPS failed to catch their computer so until the power was restored, computer restarted my credit card was authorized to give the pump $300 worth of fuel and couldn't cancel. So I waited and 75 minutes later I exited the station with $295 worth of fuel. I don't what would have happened if I had paid cash and been authorized.

Now with it starting to get dark and was Dark upon getting to the campground. One of my wife's worse fears and that is a difference story $s

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I use the Pilot/Flying J Good Sam RV card at the semi lane and pay at the pump. No problem. Get my discount. a full tank and dont even have to go inside and stand in line behind people buying soda and coffee.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I try to avoid truck stops near the interstate system, and look for smaller stations in industrial or agficultural areas, as they're usually a good bit cheaper.  A couple weeks ago, we were west of Nashville and diesel was $0.40 cheaper 2 miles down a state highway.  And that was a station with truck islands.

If you're in Texas, just go to a Buccees..........🤣

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

32 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I try to avoid truck stops near the interstate system, and look for smaller stations in industrial or agficultural areas, as they're usually a good bit cheaper.  A couple weeks ago, we were west of Nashville and diesel was $0.40 cheaper 2 miles down a state highway.  And that was a station with truck islands.

If you're in Texas, just go to a Buccees..........🤣

Isn't that the place that kicked Phil out?

I agree with I guess now "Former Farmer" Rick, the small stations are much cheaper and, generally better.     I was on my way back from Columbus and stopped at a Casey's that was literately down the street from a Flying Hook and diesel was a quarter a gallon cheaper.  

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

At a Murphy's (WalMart) you can prepay $3-400 and they will refund what you don't use.  If you have time, you can go in Walmart and buy a Wal Mart Gift card (store card) with several hundred on it, and us it at the pump.  This usually gives you another 4-5 cents a gallon off.  

Our bank has their card fraud protection outsourced.  We have a number we can call to the fraud company and say that I'm making multiple transactions at X-station and it is me.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have a Pilot RV card through Good Sam.  It let's me fill up to $3,000.00 a day and gives me a 9 cent a gallon discount, which means that I pay at Pilot what I would pay somewhere else since Pilot usually has prices that are 9 cents higher than everyone else :)

I swipe thier card at the pump and just fill up with any combination of diesel and /or DEF and go.

Edited by Dbl0svn

I start at the pump if possible. Discover Card (my preferred card) customer service reps have told me that Discover Card does NOT put a limit on fuel purchases. IF the pump shuts off before my tanks are full, it's the station that has set a limit for at the pump purchases. In those cases, I usually switch to a Master Card or Visa (my tanks hold 100 gallons max). There have been times where I've found it necessary to go inside to get pumps started and again to finish the purchase. Store employees CAN allow "large quantities" to be pumped IF you go inside first. More trouble than I think there should be but, the only thing buyers can do is to buy elsewhere. 

42 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

I use a fuelman card and it gets the cash price. Never shuts off the pump till done fueling. 

Yeah, but not all of us can get a Fleet fuel card, Roger 😜

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Interesting.  About six years ago I spoke with an official of Pilot Corporate in Knoxville (since we lived close) about getting a group discount for us HDT RVers.  He was nice but said we weren’t big enough of a fleet and didn’t purchase enough fuel to interest them.  Wonder if we are now?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Interesting.  About six years ago I spoke with an official of Pilot Corporate in Knoxville (since we lived close) about getting a group discount for us HDT RVers.  He was nice but said we weren’t big enough of a fleet and didn’t purchase enough fuel to interest them.  Wonder if we are now?

Likely not, because individually, we don't use that much fuel.  Some time back, there was a survey done, and we averaged less than 10k miles/yr.  To them, we're small potatoes.

But, it might be worth a shot.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I use the Flying J RV card which gets me pump start and cash price using my Visa. Sometimes pay at pump, more often just pump start and go in to pay.

We always give our CC company a heads up when we are traveling and rarely get a kickback on 200 gallon fill-ups. On the rare occasion they will text my wife to approve the purchase.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

16 hours ago, Big5er said:

Yeah, but not all of us can get a Fleet fuel card, Roger 😜

Phil,

When we got our fuel card from a local fuel distributor in Wichita we only had four trucks, we understood that we was only going to use their self service facilities in our local area, but when we received our fuel cards I noticed it said fuel man on them that’s good at most convenient stores and most truck stops.   

GCTaaehl.jpg

11 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Phil,

When we got our fuel card from a local fuel distributor in Wichita we only had four trucks

I'll be truck number 5 Roger..Can I have one??? Please?? LOL

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

When we are traveling, I avoid the big 3 fuel stations like the plague. A few cents difference wouldn't bother me, but the $0.25 to $0.40 cent difference just screams "pay off the fines" money to me. So we stick to smaller dealers, DW hotfoots it into the fuel desk, gives them a deposit on whatever card we're using, I fill'er up, DW goes & closes out the fuel ticket, and off we go like a herd 'o turtles. With a built in discount.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide