Starting with a Clean Slate

FrankM

5 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I would do serious research on the impact retaining $10k (or other amount) would have on the assets determination. If the RV is your home, it seems it should be exempt from the asset test as would be the tow vehicle if you chose a trailer as your RV.

My Mom had to sell her Toyota Mini Motorhome to get financial assistance. Back then your vehicle could not be worth more than $500.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rm.w/aview said:

Find a van so you don't have to set up a tent

There are lots of people living in vans. You can even put real furniture in it if you have a single bed and a chest of drawers. Water can be as easy as 1 gallon jugs you refill and a bowl you pour water into for a sink. There are 12v chest freezer/refrigerators. If your van has double back doors, you can open them and string a tarp between them to make an enclosure for using a solar shower. A Renogy suitcase solar system can provide electricity. REI sells a roll-up aluminum table on which you can set a hot plate or camp stove. If it's raining move your tarp to the top of the back doors to provide shelter for cooking. Nothing has to be fancy to get you on the road if that's what you really want to do. But you do still have to deal with the health care situation.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Are you a handyman?  There is a school bus someone started converting for $3500.  Under it is also a van conversion for 14.5k.  More on there like that if you look for a bit.  I know absolutely nothing about either of these but this is just one route for inexpensive camper options.  Probably some close to you if you look.

These are on a MN/ND facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MNNDRVCampersForSale/

To answer your question, what is a good book to read/have, etc, can't help you there.  We just learn ourselves from 40 years of experience in tents/rented RVs and finally owning our RV, we just do it.  Adding we have always been weekend warriors, going snowbird shortly.  We learn something every time we go out.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Thank you again for all your replies, feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate this and this is a great forum.

I've had the RV in the back of my mind for over a year, and it's difficult to make the mental shift away from it. A camper van or conversion van type thing is probably a very good idea, though at this point I'm not crazy about it. And quite unfortunately I'm not too much of a handyman, but I'm willing and able to do just about anything, with a little guidance here and there.

I just need to decide what I'm going to do. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello again. Thank you again for all your previous replies.

After much thought & consideration, and more research, I'm considering a (relatively short) travel trailer. I have a couple prospects on craigslist, and I need to go and inspect them. None of them are actually local.

My RV knowledge and experience is pretty short, so I want to have someone with me who knows RVs, and can help me inspect a travel trailer for purchase. I don't know anyone offhand, and I will pay someone for this service.

The two I'm looking at right now are located in Sauk City WI, and Cary IL. (I'm in Janesville WI.) I appreciate any & all responses to this. 

Edited by FrankM
Typo

I would look for a mobile RV reparii service and see what they would charge you. Another possibiliity would be to contact a local RV club if you know of one or ask at a nearby RV park for suggestions. There is a good buyer's check list available on the website Changin Gears. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Frank, check the listings or visit General RV, I think they are close to you.  See if they have any 5 to 7 year old pull behind trailers in the 19 to 20 foot range.  You should find a Forrest River or some other brand in that size.  If they have one you like and it is listed for $9,999.00, then you could probably buy it for $7,500 or less if you have cash.  

Then the trick would be to find a large enough SUV or pickup that can pull it, probably a 1/2 ton will do nicely.  I'm guessing you can get a decent 1/2 ton pickup for under $10,000.  My son just sold his GMC with 100,000 plus miles on it for $7,000.  The truck looked brand new and will probably go another 100,000 miles.

On a small pull behind RV you will have an inexpensive water pump, a water heater, an RV frig, a single air conditioner, and not much else that can need repair or replacement.  Tires and such things like that can be budgeted for as you go.  You certainly don't been $4,000 or $5,000 sitting in the bank for future repairs.

When you get on the road decide what areas you will spend time in.  Do some research and find a few parks that will give you a good monthly rate, like around $300 to $350 a month.  Before you know it you will find yourself riding a mower 15 or 20 hours a week and not paying any rent.

No matter what, if you are careful how you shop for an RV and tow vehicle you can live your dream easily starting out with $20,000 and your monthly budget.  

Good luck!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

2 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

No matter what, if you are careful how you shop for an RV and tow vehicle you can live your dream easily starting out with $20,000 and your monthly budget.  

Good luck!

I should quote the entire post, as it's extremely informative and very helpful, at least to me at this time. And it's one of the most encouraging replies i've gotten. I guess the trick for me was to shift to a trailer vs a motorhome.

Thank you FL-JOE for your input !!

Edited by FrankM

10 hours ago, FrankM said:

I guess the trick for me was to shift to a trailer vs a motorhome.

Just be careful about the choice of tow vehicle. If it has too little towing weight capacity or too short a wheelbase for the trailer you choose it will be very tiring to drive and might be dangerous. And if you buy something used, be sure that you get a qualified inspection or you could be courting financial disaster. 

10 hours ago, FrankM said:

I guess the trick for me was to shift to a trailer vs a motorhome.

41 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Just be careful about the choice of tow vehicle. If it has too little towing weight capacity or too short a wheelbase for the trailer you choose it will be very tiring to drive and might be dangerous.

Here are a couple of links that may help you in matching a tow vehicle and trailer. Trailer Weight Calculator, Tow Vehicle Length 

The reason I mentioned Forest River was many of their TT models are light weight and pack a lot of stuff inside.  I would look for used Forest River Cruise Lite 171 to 190 models.  Go walk through them and check some out in person.  Remember just because the model says for example 171 that doesn't mean it is 17' long.  The Cruise Lite 171RBXL for example is actually about 20 feet long, just like their 190 model is 24' long.

You will find dry weight for these models (20' to 24') will be in the 3,900 to 4,400 pound range.  Depending on how much you load into such a TT you could still be well within the range for pulling these with a 1/2 ton pickup truck.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 1 month later...

Well I turned my search in a different direction, again. After careful thought, I decided against a trailer. I just don't want to tow. Back to looking at Class Cs or Bs....

And I found one, after weeks of searching. It's a class C, 1994 Fleetwood Tioga. I haven't purchased it quite yet, but it appears to be "the one"! Hallelujah.

Right now, among many other things, I'm trying to find a good Campground Directory. It's confusing. They don't even call it by that name anymore. Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated. 

24 minutes ago, FrankM said:

Right now, among many other things, I'm trying to find a good Campground Directory. It's confusing. They don't even call it by that name anymore. Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated. 

Congratulations on finding the right one!

If you mean a camping directory in book form, Camping World has them:

https://www.campingworld.com/lifestyle/books-directories 

Otherwise there are many online sites to look at such as Campground Reviews (formerly RV Park Reviews), Allstays, and others.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, FrankM said:

There aren't many paper versions still being published, mostly due to the shift to digital and online data use. The Woodalls directory has been taken over by Good Sam and is gone leaving Good Sam as the only one that I am aware of for all campgrounds. There are several groups that publish paper guides for their own member parks such as Passport America and KOA but we are being forced to go digital. 

On 8/3/2019 at 11:59 PM, FrankM said:

I'm trying to find a good Campground Directory. It's confusing. Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated. 

Is this what you're referring to Frank? https://www.passport-america.com/campgrounds/participating-campgrounds

Another approach could be this... https://passportamerica.com/campgrounds/search#top

Joining up gets you a Directory Book and updates via email with new parks being added.

Spot