Thoughts On “Through the Wheel” Tie Downs

SuiteSuccess

Do any of you secure your Smart with through the wheel tie downs and if so your opinions of their use?  I currently use webs on the front wheels and over the wheels with tread blocks on the back.  Just wandering if the through the wheels could mess up alignment or cause problems?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I’ve seen many “professional” car haulers secure vehicles that way.  It works but I would be wary of scratching the rims if the wheels or straps are dirty.  I’ve never done it myself, I didn’t want the customer or dealer scrutinizing my work that hard.  Should be easier than baskets though.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I've been using mine since I picked up a set from Jack and Marc my last time up at their place.  Much easier to use and I would imagine not any more stress on alignment than the baskets were.  May need some jacking up if the strap happens to come right across the valve stem.  But not really a problem.

There is a softer shoulder type strap that comes in contact around the actual wheel.

Sheri was surprised that I unloaded the car in about 20 minutes today!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I started with through the wheel with D rings on either side. My car had a tendency to move around more than I cared for. Went with over the wheel with tread blocks. Not sure how you're using through the wheel. Have to look at Jacks 's website to see if there's something new out there. I've had my tie down system fail on 1 or 2 wheels in the past. Roads don't seem to be getting any smoother.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We now use through the wheel straps exclusively. For MOST people they are way easier to use. And an easier strap to use is one that is going to be better tied down. We were NEVER happy with baskets - they always were a pain to use, required more deck intrusions (D rings at the back) and never ever tightened down as well as simple through the wheel straps. Over the wheel straps are also a better choice than nets. In OUR opinion. But they have the same downfalls as the nets. We have 10's of thousands of miles on the through wheel straps - probably hundreds of thousands, collectively. I've never seen a damaged wheel....we use the sleeves on the straps. You do have to go higher or lower IF the valve stem is in the way, but it has never been an issue. You could argue that an over-wheel strap is better because of the two tie-down points. But I can argue equally as well for the through the wheel. The key for most people is that ease of use means better chance of properly securing the car.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Would like to see a pic of the thru the wheel strapping. Wonder if your using the ratchets on chocks? 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Howdy All,

I use Jacks, chocks and through the wheel straps, EASY and secure.

IMG_2894-L.jpg

IMG_2903-L.jpg

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
added another photo

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I prefer the over the wheel straps with traditional blocks. Never have had one come loose yet but I do ratchet them down pretty tight. Even if one does come loose I still have 4 chocks and 3 other straps to hold a 2,200 pound car. That is more than sufficient to hold that load.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

19 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I prefer the over the wheel straps with traditional blocks. Never have had one come loose yet but I do ratchet them down pretty tight. Even if one does come loose I still have 4 chocks and 3 other straps to hold a 2,200 pound car. That is more than sufficient to hold that load.

We started out with "through wheel" and have switched to the over-the-wheel with tread blocks.  We like the "over" type better.  YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 hours ago, billr said:

Would like to see a pic of the thru the wheel strapping. Wonder if your using the ratchets on chocks? 

2X. Does anyone have a close up picture of the straps ? If you use the thru the wheel straps, do you strap them in an 'X' pattern ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

Saw this and that’s what prompted the query.rGQ0IsUl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

As you know, I do over the wheel with blocks on the rear wheels.  Check them and tighten at every stop.  I have had one come loose on the front as the strap stretched and that’s why I went to net on front wheels.  

Mr. Cobb,

I see your strap just goes through a D ring and into a lash winch.  Ones in my pic above are double D’s (ok no puns about double Ds).  Thoughts on which would be better? I was thinking IF I did it I would use the padded double Ds and a hooked strap straight down into my lash winch.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

7 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Al,

Saw this and that’s what prompted the query.rGQ0IsUl.jpg

Hi Carl,

That is how I was taught to hold down my side by side (RZR).

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

HERE is a link to an album on the chocks and straps.  We buy the straps from Customtiedowns.com.

There are many ways to tie down vehicles. If you have enough room and can access things easily enough then crossing the tie-downs is very good. On most truck decks with a smart that is challenging to do, hower (for most people). Within reason - the best tiedown method has to be easy to get right and easy to maintain. Or else people do not do it accurately. Most methods also require you to re-tighten them after moving some. So you better check them. Al's method above is very good if you have the space. And over-the-wheel is also very good, but harder to get correct and harder to put on. In all cases with four chocks AND four tiedowns your are pretty secure.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Howdy All,

Jacks photos show the way my car looks when its strapped down, EASY and secure.  As with any method of tying down a vehicle of any sort its best to check the straps, chains, cables whatever was used after a few miles as they WILL need to be tightened up a bit.  Every time I stop for a rest or fuel I do a quick walk around and the tie down straps are CHECKED. 

The only thing I fear using this method or any other method while using canvas straps is some jerk just being an a$$hole and cutting the straps.  People are that way, I padlock my hitch release handle as have had it pulled into the release position twice before padlocking it, once while spending the night at a truck stop another time while spending the night in a rest stop.  I still even now that I am locking it check the hitch release handle every time I go to move the truck after it has been parked.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

And now, I'm gonna throw a wrinkle into the thought process................

What if, you had all four wheels strapped through the wheels as shown above, and something  damaged or removed both straps on one side?  Even if just one strap loosened, the car can turn on the bed.

With over the top straps, it's nuisance.  Through the wheel it's a disaster waiting to happen.  I like having each strap holding in two directions.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

RdYpPZjl.jpg

I have had great success with these straps.  Never come loose, Jeep does not move on the deck.

1496854070864.jpg

Cannot seem to remove this second photo, I have not driven with the straps to the side of each tire, only at an angle like the top photo.

Edited by Parrformance
wrong photo

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Vulcan 2" x 144" Exotic Car Rim Tie Downs w/Ratchets - 3300 lbs. SWL, 4 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7YJ59G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

11 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Rick, did you find a strap loose, or have your car shift on the bed when using them?

Through the wheel, yes.   Over the top, no.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN