Taking the leap!

Macodiva

Ok so i've taken half the leap. I've bought myself a 2006 Gulf Stream vista cruiser G26. I'm so excited! Here's hoping it turns out to be as good a deal as it seems, guess i'll know when i see it. 

I bought it on eBay & it's on the other side of the country!  

Yes i know that seems totally insane but these Gulf Streams don't come around too often, especially ones not ludicrously priced. Seller is happy for me to see it & decide if i like it, then pay. So we have a non binding contract at the moment. 

However for me to get time off work, pay a dog sitter (unfortunately he's to big to fly in the cabin), fly over & drive back i will lose almost as much money as it costs to get it shipped here. I'd love to pick it up myself if i could take the dog & my time getting back but that's not an option at this point.

My thinking is to get it inspected & if the inspector(who will have a much better idea than me anyway) thinks it's good to go then i'll get it transported.

Does anyone have a transporter service they'd recommend?

I've had Uship quotes, they're all in the $3000 range or higher, which seems a lot to me.

Any other ideas?

Big thank you to all you posters Kirk W, Al F, fly2low, Jim K & others whose advice persuaded me not to settle for the over priced 1997 Pleasure way a few week ago.

This is the one i've been holding out for for so long :)

3 hours ago, Macodiva said:

Ok so i've taken half the leap. I've bought myself a 2006 Gulf Stream vista cruiser G26. I'm so excited! 

This is the one i've been holding out for for so long :)

Congratulations! I hope your travels in it are wonderful!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It failed the inspection by an RV tech?

It had, check engine light on, brake stability light on, spongy patch approx 8" wide on the floor, water leak inside the RV, guy had ripped the generator out himself & patched where it had been. Tried very hard to convince inspector not to look underneath. Had no recent service or repair records because apparently "oh that's ok, it was all done recently, i don't have the receipts because i did it myself". Talking about all maintenance, brakes, tires ect. 

Seriously why would he not mention all these things when we talked on the phone. I understand he wants to make a sale but did he seriously think someone would just ignore all the issues & say oh well i'm here now, may as well take it!

Also blatantly lied when i told him i was backing out. Saying he didn't know what the guy inspecting it was talking about, it has no check engine light on. I was sent photos showing it on! 

Waste of a few hundred dollars but grateful to have saved thousands. 

Live & learn.

2 hours ago, Macodiva said:

Waste of a few hundred dollars but grateful to have saved thousands. 

And now you know why so many of us advise the use of a professional to inspect any used RV before you spend your money. Many people have a very hard time accepting the real value of the RV that they paid so much for. We bought a new RV and went fulltime within the year. We bought ours new, spent nearly 12 years in it fulltime and owned it for 14 years, then sold it for just under 20% of what we paid for it and it was in very good condition for the age. Had it been in fair to poor condition we would have been lucky to 10%. And in the 14 years we owned it, the model that we had increased in MSRP from $81k to $130k. No doubt some sellers are scammers but most of them just overvalue what they have. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

No doubt some sellers are scammers but most of them just overvalue what they have. 

If it was valuable to us it must be just as valuable to you, right? Finding out how little the furniture we paid so much for sold for at the estate sale was a big let down.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van