Verizon Jetpack upgrade to 7730L or 8800I??

Al F

I currently have a Verizon 6620 Jetpack that is acting up.  Powers off after several minutes to several hours. I looked at the jetpack system logs and nothing showing except the jetpack quit (powered off).  I press the power button and it comes right up.  I have had it for 4-6 years.  Battery replaced once. 

I am on the pre-paid plan. 

Contacted Verizon Chat and they said take it to a corporate store and have a tech look at it.   Thinking about just upgrading to newer technology instead. 

Do I upgrade to a 7730L from Amazon for about $105 or go with the 8800I from Verizon for $200?  

The 7730L still can work on 3G service but the 8800I doesn't.  We do spend time in remote locations and have from time to time used 3G service.  

Have the ongoing problems with the 8800I been fixed?  Last update I saw from Technomadia, dated April 12, states no fix yet?

Suggestions, thoughts opinions welcome. 

Thanks

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Vote for the 8800. 

When the 7730 battery went bad AGAIN, we opted to replace it with the 8800. Huge improvement in download speed in places we frequent.

Only caution is there have been reported problems with the unit resetting, though we haven’t seen the problem. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

3g requirement sorta answers your question. We went to a pre-paid unlimited plan Black Friday, 2018, and got a free 7730. Push them a bit. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Other considerations are 5G is coming... So perhaps the lower cost option is the way to go, to bridge over to 5G equipment in the future. And then you'd also still have 3G capability too... 

I just went thru a similar thought process on our ATT MiFi. Our Unite Explore is fine, and with roof top MIMO antennas, has provided us with some amazing download speeds in places. But also reading RVMOBILEINTERNET, I decided to go ahead now and get the Netgear Nighthawk, and moved my SIM (Mobley SIM) over into it. Still may sell my Unite Explore 815S on Craigslist, but leaning towards keeping it as my back up, and selling it my current ATT backup MIFI. 

My rational is that I usually am not an early adopter of new gear, and 5G will have lots of new gear and chips coming out ahead. And thus the Nighthawk will probably bridge into 2021 maybe 2022 before I spring for a 5G MiFi. The upgrades being made to cell towers for 5G, will in some areas be able to take advantage of the 4X4 MIMO the Nighthawk has, vs the Unite Explore is 2X2 MIMO. 

Have just made change over this last week, and we do not hit the road until next week - so it will be a few weeks until I see if I can detect any performance improvements (I care about DL speeds.) with the Nighthawk vs Unite Explore. And I'm sure I'll spend time disconnecting the rooftop MIMO antenna from time to time, and see if the Nighthawks 4X4 outperforms it in some locations too... 

Your realization about 3G being important too you, does kind of simplify this for you. But suppose you could also pick up a used inexpensive MIFI just for 3G duty also... Lots of options, and no real right or wrong on the approach:)!

Best to you, travel safe, have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

59 minutes ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Other considerations are 5G is coming... So perhaps the lower cost option is the way to go, to bridge over to 5G equipment in the future. And then you'd also still have 3G capability too... 

I just went thru a similar thought process on our ATT MiFi. Our Unite Explore is fine, and with roof top MIMO antennas, has provided us with some amazing download speeds in places. But also reading RVMOBILEINTERNET, I decided to go ahead now and get the Netgear Nighthawk, and moved my SIM (Mobley SIM) over into it. Still may sell my Unite Explore 815S on Craigslist, but leaning towards keeping it as my back up, and selling it my current ATT backup MIFI. 

My rational is that I usually am not an early adopter of new gear, and 5G will have lots of new gear and chips coming out ahead. And thus the Nighthawk will probably bridge into 2021 maybe 2022 before I spring for a 5G MiFi. The upgrades being made to cell towers for 5G, will in some areas be able to take advantage of the 4X4 MIMO the Nighthawk has, vs the Unite Explore is 2X2 MIMO. 

Have just made change over this last week, and we do not hit the road until next week - so it will be a few weeks until I see if I can detect any performance improvements (I care about DL speeds.) with the Nighthawk vs Unite Explore. And I'm sure I'll spend time disconnecting the rooftop MIMO antenna from time to time, and see if the Nighthawks 4X4 outperforms it in some locations too... 

Your realization about 3G being important too you, does kind of simplify this for you. But suppose you could also pick up a used inexpensive MIFI just for 3G duty also... Lots of options, and no real right or wrong on the approach:)!

Best to you, travel safe, have fun,

Smitty

What model Nighthawk did you purchase? I have a Mobley and nay switch. Also, will it allow one to stay on longer than the 2 hour timeout of the Mobley ?

44 minutes ago, Dick N said:

What model Nighthawk did you purchase? I have a Mobley and nay switch. Also, will it allow one to stay on longer than the 2 hour timeout of the Mobley ?

The MR1100, latest version with Band14. 

And I don't have an answer to the time out question yet, will towards the end of next week:)!

But, we've had the SIM in the Unite Explore for about two years, and no time outs. I did get the PUK1 & PUK2 info, and followed fellow Escapees Technomadia's on configuration updates. (RVMOBILEINTERNET - It's a good tool to add to your resource kit while researching. They have a Members Only content, that is IMO worth the cost of membership. I like to spend a few hours a month monitoring things in this arena, so renew my membership yearly with them. I know some who join them for Exclusive Content, while doing initial setup research:)!). 

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

11 hours ago, AquaDawg said:

You do realize that Verizon will be shutting down their entire CDMA network on Dec 31st, right? It's been in the works since 2016.

No, I did not know that.  I may have seen something about it and kind of ignored it and forgot about it.  

Thanks for the info.  That helps a lot. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

You've received some great advice here... just to confirm some things for you:

1) The 8800L issues are not yet resolved, but we are testing a 2nd beta unit Inseego sent us. Things are looking better, but it's no telling how long it will take Verizon to push the firmware update.  That said, many are not having issues, and the 8800L is the flagship device with the most future proofing.  5G for us mobile travelers won't be a consideration for quite a while.  For more on the 8800L: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/8800l

2) The 7730l is still a relevant device however, and many are choosing to obtain one instead.

3) 3G is currently slated to be ended by Verizon at the end of this year. While it might be important now, it won't be for much longer.  Here's our guide tracking the technology paths of each carrier, including their 3G shut downs and 5G roll outs: http://rvmobileinternet.com/evolution

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

My understanding is 5g has a much smaller footprint and is currently limited to a few large cities. When it is fully implemented, it will not have near the current coverage with the current towers. Most of us won’t benefit from 5g.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

6 hours ago, Ronbo said:

My understanding is 5g has a much smaller footprint and is currently limited to a few large cities. When it is fully implemented, it will not have near the current coverage with the current towers. Most of us won’t benefit from 5g.

I'm not sure why there's so much concern about whether or not 5G will eventually make equipment obsolete.  The time scales for that happening outside of the major cities are IMO so long that most of us will probably have left the road entirely before we ever see 5G.  According to my son, who works for Verizon, the 5G roll-out for 2019 are Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Des Moines, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis, Phoenix, Providence, San Diego, Salt Lake City, and Washington DC.  Those aren't places where I spend much of my summer time! When it will get  to Corpus Christi (or Rockport) where we spend the winter is going to be a long way in the future.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

20 hours ago, Technomadia said:

1) The 8800L issues are not yet resolved, but we are testing a 2nd beta unit Inseego sent us. Things are looking better, but it's no telling how long it will take Verizon to push the firmware update.  That said, many are not having issues, and the 8800L is the flagship device with the most future proofing.  5G for us mobile travelers won't be a consideration for quite a while.  For more on the 8800L: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/8800l

2) The 7730l is still a relevant device however, and many are choosing to obtain one instead.

3) 3G is currently slated to be ended by Verizon at the end of this year. While it might be important now, it won't be for much longer.  Here's our guide tracking the technology paths of each carrier, including their 3G shut downs and 5G roll outs: http://rvmobileinternet.com/evolution

Thank you for the excellent info.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Thanks to all who replied.  Very helpful information provided.

I went ahead and ordered the 7730I.  I decided to not risk having the 8800L problems.  Especially since I already have had problems with my old jetpack, the 6620. 

Additionally, I agree the 5G is going to take a long time with roll out outside major population areas.

From what I have been reading, the way the USA is implementing 5G, totally different than the rest of the world, means there will need to be an antenna on just about every block for good coverage. 

Well, every block, is an exaggeration.  However, as I understand it the USA implementation is using a frequency band which doesn't carry very far requiring many antennas fairly close together.  Whereas the rest of the world is using a frequency band that carries quite a ways and would be far more useful outside major population areas.  

Anyways, thanks for the advice and help. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

2 hours ago, Al F said:

I went ahead and ordered the 7730I. 

One thing that I don't think was mentioned in this thread, is that the 7730l will ruin its battery if charged 24/7.  New batteries are inexpensive (~$20 on Amazon) but I was concerned that the swollen lithium battery could have been a fire hazard.  So my Jetpack is now being charged through a wifi enabled outlet that I'm using as a timer to turn the charging on and off every couple of hours.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

One thing that I don't think was mentioned in this thread, is that the 7730l will ruin its battery if charged 24/7.  New batteries are inexpensive (~$20 on Amazon) but I was concerned that the swollen lithium battery could have been a fire hazard.  So my Jetpack is now being charged through a wifi enabled outlet that I'm using as a timer to turn the charging on and off every couple of hours.

I am using a $4 mechanical timer from Wal-Mart and have it on for two hours twice a day, ie., 10 hours off, 2 hours on.  This is with a replacement battery in my 7730L.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

4 hours ago, docj said:

Well, that is interesting, what a nuisance.  Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to plug & unplug it.  We always charge via USB into 12V as we dry camp much of the time.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 4/25/2019 at 8:53 AM, Technomadia said:

So what happens after December to the dozens of locations on my recent trip across the US that only had 3G coverage?

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

2 hours ago, vermilye said:

So what happens after December to the dozens of locations on my recent trip across the US that only had 3G coverage?

Verizon has been actively upgrading many of the 3G locations for the past couple of years.  I'm surprised that you found "dozens" of locations with 3G only.  It's also possible that many of those locations have already been upgraded and your device just doesn't operate on the newer bands.

To answer your question, if there is no LTE available at those locations, you won't have service.  Last I heard, Verizon is a bit behind on their shutdown timetable.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I think it's not so much as it's 3g only, as it is the LTE (4G) signal does not cover as many miles as the 3g signal will when coming from the same tower. In my hunting area there is one tower that can be picked up. The LTE signal comes and goes as I walk around, but it always resorts to 3G when the LTE signal fades. This distance limitation is a direct result of the technology.

As we progress from one "G" to another "G", each transition results is less coverage. There are still areas in the mountainous parts of the PNW, in which we previously had coverage with analog (1G), and have never gotten coverage back. This reduced coverage distance is going to only get worse as they transition to 5G.

They call it progress, but I'd take my old analog 3 watt bag phone back in a heart beat.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:51 PM, chirakawa said:

Verizon has been actively upgrading many of the 3G locations for the past couple of years.  I'm surprised that you found "dozens" of locations with 3G only.  It's also possible that many of those locations have already been upgraded and your device just doesn't operate on the newer bands.

To answer your question, if there is no LTE available at those locations, you won't have service.  Last I heard, Verizon is a bit behind on their shutdown timetable.

Its was dozens, but it was a 12,000 mile trip with many stops well away from cities & interstates.  The most recent 3G or 1X only site was one bar at Ricketts Glen State Park in PA.  That was with an outside antenna & an amplifier. The band problems could be a possibility, although the phones were an iPhone 10 & 7+.  It was an older Jetpack...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

If you're happy with the performance of your 6620, you should look for a cheap replacement battery.  You said you replaced the battery once, but you didn't say how long ago.

I get 1 day battery life out of a charge on my 8800.  I don't know if that is good or not.  The literature says not to keep it plugged in all the time. 

Since I got a new account created (one of the 8800 troubleshooting options per the technomadia article), my service has been fine.  But getting that far was a REAL PITA.

3 hours ago, remoandiris said:

If you're happy with the performance of your 6620, you should look for a cheap replacement battery.  You said you replaced the battery once, but you didn't say how long ago.

I get 1 day battery life out of a charge on my 8800.  I don't know if that is good or not.  The literature says not to keep it plugged in all the time. 

Since I got a new account created (one of the 8800 troubleshooting options per the technomadia article), my service has been fine.  But getting that far was a REAL PITA.

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I suppose the problem could have been a battery intermittently going to zero volts and them coming back immediately.  Nothing in the system log in the 6620 that indicated any kind of issue before quitting.  The only thing in the syslog was the power up sequence showing the power on button was pressed.   The mobile log gets erased so I can't see if anything came from Verizon or the tower. 

Anyways, I have the 7730 now and it is working.  It was an "education" in switching over from the 6620. 

I have never replaced a device except by buying from Verizon.  Then the device always came with a new SIM card and instructions on what to do.  If I had to move the SIM I don't remember that. 

With the "bring my device" I was sure I was going to have to "DO" something, activate something or???  As it turned out just removing the SIM from the 6620, plugging it into the 7730 and powering on the 7730 and away we went.  I did do some looking and searching online that helped. Finally realized all my account info was in the SIM. Just nothing that told me "just move the SIM and you should be good to go. 

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

• 3 weeks later...