yosemite lower pines

virginiasean

Hi All

you may remember i am one half of the English couple who are spending 9 weeks going west ( LA)  to east (florida) this year......I asked lots of question a few months ago but since then i have been spending hours and hours planing this amazing trip.

I was so looking forward to today as it was the day Yosemite opened up for booing Lower Pines and I was online THE SECOND lines opened but boy was it stressful....all booked withing a couple of minutes i had no chance of getting the spot i had planned for and ended up panic booking another spot when finally one iopened up... I was like booking a Madonna concert of something!! Anyway now i have number 58 booked i see that it is only for 24 foot RVs and ours is 30 feet.......first i was really upset but i read on line in another forum that the size thing is not enforced but i wondered if anyone on here knows anything about that? waited months to book and now i feel gutted!

Virginia

You can go to those campsite websites and do earth view.  Locate that site and see if you can fit.  I have seen alot of campsites that could not handle our 32ft without sticking way out in the roadway.   There's usually a reason they are limited on length.  Good luck!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

3 hours ago, jmrkav said:

At many campgrounds, the length they give is for the pad. If it is possible to back beyond the pad to the rear axle then you are good. 

That is exactly what I would suspect as well. Nobody is going to measure your RV and as long as you do not block traffic there will be no problems at all. But I would say that it is true of most campgrounds if not all. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We went to Yosemite last June.  I also had issues with trying to book a site. Sometime in May, they usually open up a couple sites that have been held back due to potential flood problems.  You can call the park to find out when they think they will release those sites.  Also check back often as people do cancel.  

There is also youtube videos showing the actual sites.  Those were helpful when I was trying to determine which sites we would fit it.  

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, treeed said:

We went to Yosemite last June.  I also had issues with trying to book a site. Sometime in May, they usually open up a couple sites that have been held back due to potential flood problems.  You can call the park to find out when they think they will release those sites.  Also check back often as people do cancel.  

There is also youtube videos showing the actual sites.  Those were helpful when I was trying to determine which sites we would fit it.  

problem is i have already booked and paid for the one i panic booked!

The site you booked can be cancelled for a $10 fee.  I had booked two non-sequential nights in Jan.  But I was lucky and got 4 nights on a flood held site in May.  It costs me $20 to cancel to previous reservation...but so worth it to have 4 back to back nights.

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

Here is a picture of your campsite. It looks like you'll be able to back up slightly with your tires touching the barrier. There's a firepit directly behind.  The description of that site on the reservation site is max RV 24'; max trailer/popup 12' (so they're allowing room for the truck).   Keep in mind that if you rented a 30' RV they usually measure out a little longer; they're not exactly 30'.   Good luck!

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ca/lower-pines/photos/lower-pines-058

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

At Yosemite the length not only has to do with the pad, but more so about having enough room to back into the site because of trees, rocks etc. that may obstruct the site and road. The standard sites or RV sites will work if they specify that they are long enough. The difference between a RV specified site is that it may not have a level space to set up a tent for those who have one.

Edited by lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T

On 4/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, 2gypsies said:

Here is a picture of your campsite. It looks like you'll be able to back up slightly with your tires touching the barrier. There's a firepit directly behind.  The description of that site on the reservation site is max RV 24'; max trailer/popup 12' (so they're allowing room for the truck).   Keep in mind that if you rented a 30' RV they usually measure out a little longer; they're not exactly 30'.   Good luck!

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ca/lower-pines/photos/lower-pines-058

thanks for that