Tandem axle's off road.

rebar

Good morning people!

I was wondering if there is a better tandem set up then I'm about to mention, short of independent suspension.

I want to install 7k 8 lug straight axles (to use trailer spare for both trailer and truck) but use 4000# leaf springs because the trailer is only 7x16 and might weigh 8K wet.   I'm envisioning crossing many washed out ruts and gullies, creek crossings and baby head size boulder's along the way in colorado, so I need to prepare both axles to see the majority of the weight when one axle drops into a low spot.   The equalizer will be important and the best Ive found so far is the morryde CRE3000, but I doubt any equalizer will prevent loading one axle with most of the weight traveling on forest service roads. And then venturing off to find a secluded camp spot.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by rebar

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

11 hours ago, rebar said:

Thanks TLRam1.   Can I double post like that?

Hit the "Quote" plus sign and it will post what was written in the comment box.  

The only thing I would be concerned about with running 2 7k axles is the weight you are carrying isn't enough for the suspension to work.  That's assuming that you are going to use the 7k springs.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Hit the "Quote" plus sign and it will post what was written in the comment box.  

The only thing I would be concerned about with running 2 7k axles is the weight you are carrying isn't enough for the suspension to work.  That's assuming that you are going to use the 7k springs.  

I'm going to mix and match 4k springs on 7k axles .. 

Ive heard I should consider slipper leaf springs..

• 4 months later...
On 4/14/2019 at 8:04 AM, rebar said:

Good morning people!

I was wondering if there is a better tandem set up then I'm about to mention, short of independent suspension.

I want to install 7k 8 lug straight axles (to use trailer spare for both trailer and truck) but use 4000# leaf springs because the trailer is only 7x16 and might weigh 8K wet.   I'm envisioning crossing many washed out ruts and gullies, creek crossings and baby head size boulder's along the way in colorado, so I need to prepare both axles to see the majority of the weight when one axle drops into a low spot.   The equalizer will be important and the best Ive found so far is the morryde CRE3000, but I doubt any equalizer will prevent loading one axle with most of the weight traveling on forest service roads. And then venturing off to find a secluded camp spot.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Just read this.

We've traveled somewhere between 600 and 800 miles on FSR this year. 

The trailer has IS.  On 1 road we bent 1/4" plates supporting the airbags on the truck. No damage to the trailer. 

I'm wondering if 4k suspension has enough travel.

Edited by ALLOY

2011 Cameo 34SB3

A walking beam works nice to prevent all the weight of both wheels ending up on one wheel through a ditch and it keeps weight 50/50 whether the trailer is level or not. The smoothest trailer I’ve towed with the little KW in the last couple years was a rented 36 foot beaver tail flatbed. It had tandem dual wheel axles on a 84” walking beam spread with no suspension besides correctly inflated tires.

I’m thinking on how a guy could do this on a small enclosed sometimes off highway garage trailer vs single axle pothole pogo stick or bounce-a-matic spring or rubber ride...

I have a 8’6” wide enclosed that is too big for my needs now and low to the road. I took the opportunity to check the wheel bearings at one wash I was crossing seeing as I was skidding the ass end of the trailer on the slick rock and all 4 wheels had daylight under them momentarily...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Idea #2: I have a light little 22’ flatbed made out of an old travel trailer chassis. It has slipper springs and about a 12” equalizer with greaseable shackles and bolts. It rides smooth too.

Fancy off road trailers have independent trailing arm axleless suspensions with coil springs. (See Turtleback Trailers Phoenix)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 9/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, noteven said:

A walking beam works nice to prevent all the weight of both wheels ending up on one wheel through a ditch and it keeps weight 50/50 whether the trailer is level or not. The smoothest trailer I’ve towed with the little KW in the last couple years was a rented 36 foot beaver tail flatbed. It had tandem dual wheel axles on a 84” walking beam spread with no suspension besides correctly inflated tires.

I’m thinking on how a guy could do this on a small enclosed sometimes off highway garage trailer vs single axle pothole pogo stick or bounce-a-matic spring or rubber ride.

Walking beam would be great, but since there arent any available, leaf also has built in anti roll bar characteristics, unlike torsion or IS.