HWH Jack Plate Bent

Recently purchased a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA with HWH spring assisted leveling jacks. I also purchased SnapPads to fit onto the jack plates. However, one of the plates looks slightly bent and I'm afraid the SnapPad may not fit on it properly. Are these jack plates repairable? How would I go about this?

Remove the plate and take to a Machine Shop. With a press the pad can be Straightened.

The pad removable can be the hard part. My Jacks are Hydraulic so clamping the Hydraulic shaft was difficult to prevent scratching.

A good Impact wrench was necessary .

Clay - Been there Done that

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

2 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

Remove the plate and take to a Machine Shop. With a press the pad can be Straightened.

The pad removable can be the hard part. My Jacks are Hydraulic so clamping the Hydraulic shaft was difficult to prevent scratching.

A good Impact wrench was necessary .

Clay - Been there Done that

Thank you! I'll look into this.

I saw The RV Geeks took a paint stick (from the hardware store) and cut it into "biscuits."  They could cut that paint stick into six or eight biscuits?  Then take the many "biscuits" to the jack.  Extend the jack a bit.  Shove the "biscuits" into the springs.  That way the springs won't "spring" back.  The bent plate can then be removed for fixing the bent part.  Sounds a lot worse here than their video shows.  thervgeeks.com  You'll have to do a search.  

Oh, and to remove the biscuits just put the springs back on the plate, extend the jack a bit more, and the biscuits will fall out.  Or I suspect I'd have to pull them out with my fingers.  Pretty slick.

No, I haven't tried this.

Bill, NA8M

On 4/14/2019 at 10:58 AM, NA8M said:

I saw The RV Geeks took a paint stick (from the hardware store) and cut it into "biscuits."  They could cut that paint stick into six or eight biscuits?  Then take the many "biscuits" to the jack.  Extend the jack a bit.  Shove the "biscuits" into the springs.  That way the springs won't "spring" back.  The bent plate can then be removed for fixing the bent part.  Sounds a lot worse here than their video shows.  thervgeeks.com  You'll have to do a search.  

Oh, and to remove the biscuits just put the springs back on the plate, extend the jack a bit more, and the biscuits will fall out.  Or I suspect I'd have to pull them out with my fingers.  Pretty slick.

No, I haven't tried this.

Bill, NA8M

Halves of wooden clothes pins work well too, plus they are tapered on the end.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It is easy to do. I have replaced my springs on my HWH jacks on 35 ft. Winnebago. Look on net, I used 20 penny nails. Extend jack, place nails, chop spicks, cloths pins, or whatever else in springs, allow jacks to retract. Might need a little help from a lever to push up on jack. Remove plate, it should just fall off. Takes about 10 minutes per jack. If you are replacing the springs, then, you have to be a little creative. Turns out the front hitch on my jeep toe was the correct distance apart to extend new springs. Bought 3 feet of 1/4 inch cable, anchored spring on one end of hitch, adjusted cable to correct length, and used jeep, piece of junk screw jack, to extent spring. Place objects (nails or whatever) in springs, and put on jacks, extend jack remove nails. Repeat. Took about two hours to do all four jacks.

Archived