Homeowner to P/T RVer Transition

Reedhoppa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!  A cap on the truck would give you lots more storage room for many more toys.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I went with a tonneau cover also. I’ve had pickups in the past and always had shells on the bed. I figured out quickly just how much of an issue it was to access things in the front. I got the pickup to get a generator and knew there was no way I could maneuver it around in the bed while bent over because of shell. 

There are lots of advantages and disadvantages both ways, it depends on each person’s priorities. 

Love that tonneau cover you got, I seriously considered something similar. You’ll have such a great time with your rig!

You can also retrofit flip up windows, in place of the typical sliders with screens. Almost as easy to access items as a tonneau cover, but more security. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

So my Renogy 100W suitcase-style solar panel arrived today ... tested and works fine. I want to be able to charge my batteries when dry camping. I’ll use a generator when I need to run the A/C but it would be nice to be able to turn on the TV without the generator running. The TV that came with the trailer runs on 120v wall outlet currently. So would it be easier to install an inverter in the trailer or exchange the TV for a 12V and wire it to run off the battery? Not sure if I asked that right but maybe you get the idea?

1 hour ago, Reedhoppa said:

would it be easier to install an inverter in the trailer or exchange the TV for a 12V and wire it to run off the battery? Not sure if I asked that right but maybe you get the idea?

You could also just get a small inverter that is enough to power the present TV and use it both ways. Just look for the tag on the back of your present TV and there should be a wattage listed for the size inverter you need. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

26 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

You could also just get a small inverter that is enough to power the present TV and use it both ways. Just look for the tag on the back of your present TV and there should be a wattage listed for the size inverter you need. 

That’s a good suggestion ... so I would either need to run wires all the way to the battery or see if there’s a place near the TV where I can access a 12 volt source for the inverter?

6 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Congratulations! Looks Good! Did you get the dinette or theatre seating with your new home?

I went with the dinette ... i gotta have a big table. I’m tweaking the dinette seating to make it a little more comfortable

38 minutes ago, Reedhoppa said:

That’s a good suggestion ... so I would either need to run wires all the way to the battery or see if there’s a place near the TV where I can access a 12 volt source for the inverter?

Light fixtures tend to be a good place to connect to 12V. That's what the installer for our powered window coverings did.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think I’m going to give myself a timeout ... after doing a little research, I see that I have a number of questions to answer about how to size the system. Once I figure that out, I will delve into the technical aspects of the hook-up. I guess I’m wondering though whether a small 250 watt inverter can run off of the trailer’s 12 volt wiring or if I have to run a wire to the battery up in front?

I would examine the inverter's documents, it should state what gauge wires is recommended.  Then examine the RV wiring to see what size is available to tap into, then go from there.  IMHO

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

17 hours ago, Reedhoppa said:

a small 250 watt inverter

250W / 120V = 2.1A @ 120V    250W / 12V = 21A

The current (amps) supplied to the inverter will be slightly more than 10 times the current(amps) it supplies to the load. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI