Preferred Engine: Tell me which one and why?

Storx

Hello all, 

Doing some research on Class 8s, was curious which engine is the preferred motor to have here and why. Not owning a semi before and owning a handful of dodge and ford diesel trucks in my life, I am naturally allured towards the Cummins trucks, just curious what else out there is considered a good reliable engine, I'm mostly looking at moderate mile used trucks, as I don't want to spend a lot of money on a newer truck at the moment. 

I did talk to a guy named Rawles on the facebook group and he swears by the Cummins, but when I checked out his youtube channel he only works on and owns Cummins, so guessing a bit of a fanboy. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the year of truck you're talking about. Older rigs, around 2000's, Detroit Series 60, Cummins N14 are very popular. Caterpillar left the on-road market mid 2000's, so they fell out of favour. Latter 2000's engines were saddled with complicated emissions systems, and were a bear to keep running properly. 

Engines to avoid is probably a shorter list: 

Mercedes M 4000, any late model International Max Force engine, and early emissions engines. The 2007-8 emissions engines have probably been sorted out by now, but don't bet the farm on it without a good inspection. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Howdy Storx,

As others have said, early Cummins and especially the Detroit Series 60 12.7, are great engines that any shop worthy of being called a truck shop can work on.  If you plan on going to California if don't convert the truck to an RV you will have to have a newer truck that has emissions equipment that meets their ever tightening standards.  Be aware that if or when that emissions stuff goes bad and it has a habit of doing so the cost to repair can be in the thousands.

Using your words you are looking for a " I'm mostly looking at moderate mile used trucks, as I don't want to spend a lot of money on a newer truck at the moment."  What do you consider moderate miles?  To get an older 2002, or older true pre-emmisions truck you'll be very lucky to find one with less then 750,000 miles on it and more is not uncommon.  My Freightliner had 723,000 on it when I bought it, the Pete that I am driving now has 1.6 million miles on it.

Cost will very by how the truck is setup, mileage, make and model, unless you are looking for something specific I would STRONGLY suggest looking at the trucks that are for sale here and on the fackbook HDT for-sale site, do your research and you will find that you can usually buy a turn key truck that someone else has put the money needed to make it an RV and bring it up to road worthiness much cheaper then you can build one yourself unless YOU have the skills, time and equipment to do the job yourself.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Volvos may have a Cummins or Volvo engine.  IMHO, don't be afraid of a Volvo engine.  Maybe not as many places work on them, but there are thousands on the road owned by virtually all fleet brands.  I really like the D13 but have a D12D in my truck.  All other things equal, a truck with a Volvo engine will sell for less than one with a Cummins.  Even trucks with EGR like my 2004 are easily maintained.  EGR is not as bad as some folks make it out to be.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We have an older Volvo WIA 1996 with a Detroit 11.1. Almost 750,000 miles. Love this engine. Plenty of power, and good fuel mileage. Average 10 MPG. 10 speed manual shift, Jakes. One of the best cruise controls I have ever used. Plus no emissions stuff. Not the prettiest truck out there, but pulls better and gets better economy that the 3/4 ton Dodge we used to pull with.

truck.jpg

My truck has a Detroit 12.7 it gets 9.5 mpg. Its the cheapest engine to work on. Cat is the most expensive. Older Cat wont get as good of fuel mileage. I shopped for cummins or Detroit.

This truck has 1.3 million. Been overhauled once but no paperwork. My mechanic ran an overhead and dropped the oil pan. He verified that it had been overhauled recently. All the guts are good but, I spent another wad on it. All new Air conditioner. From the condenser back including compressor. Exhaust manifold, turbo, Charge air cooler, all the coolant lines and hoses.

I missed the crack in the exhaust manifold when I looked at it to buy it. That was my fault. Also, when someone tells you the A/C works it just needs charged. You tell them to charge it up then you will buy it. One line was cracked. But they were all corroded together. 3K just to fix the air.

I don't care where you buy a truck from Get a good flashlight and crawl all over that thing. Dont be afraid to get dirty. Look at everything.

KxxoUDzl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

9 hours ago, hone eagle said:

Why can't we go to California Dave?  We are not commercial. Are all (old) diesel pick-ups pulling trailers banned?

I'll go but play stupid 😁

Howdy hone eagle,

If your truck is registered and titled as an RV, taking it into California is not a problem, if it’s NOT an RV the way I understand the law you are subject to the pollution standards placed on commercial trucks.

Chad, could speak better to this issue then I can.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz icanit sqel

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

For a newer truck, I prefer a Cummins as ALL truck companies sell their trucks with a Cummins as an option. Parts are easy to get, any independent shop can work on them, and software is readily available.

As long as you maintain an emission engine, they don't seem to be that big of a problem but preventative maintenance is the key and if you do get a check engine light, fix it, don't just keep on driving.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

4 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy hone eagle,

If your truck is registered and titled as an RV, taking it into California is not a problem, if it’s NOT an RV the way I understand the law you are subject to the pollution standards placed on commercial trucks.

Chad, could speak better to this issue then I can.

This link below may help answer questions;

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents.php

No question that those big rig diesel trucks are great, but, using it for pulling an RV does seem overkill to me.... where the heck do you drive and park this thing. There's a lot of places you can't go with a vehicle of this size; national parks and other places.

25 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

No question that those big rig diesel trucks are great, but, using it for pulling an RV does seem overkill to me.... where the heck do you drive and park this thing. There's a lot of places you can't go with a vehicle of this size; national parks and other places.

Again? We've been to most of the western National Parks in Canada, and many US National Parks. With a 40' 5th wheel. Plan your routes, stick to the plan. Saying that you can't go places, especially as a beginner, shows pure ignorance. There are many people doing the things and going to places that are impossible. Expand your horizons beyond the steering wheel. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Been a lot of places with ours.  Bed works great for looking over the crowds in Yellowstone, or anywhere else. Doesn't work well for drive throughs, but we don't eat fast food.  A buddy calls it our SUV with cathedral ceiling.

No matter how you slice it , life is full of compromises.  A big truck does give up some conveniences, but that's trivial for the added safety.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Again? We've been to most of the western National Parks in Canada, and many US National Parks. With a 40' 5th wheel. 

Darryl, I understand, but, there's fewer spots and the space is an issue. 

I'm sorry for my "ignorance" but,  ..".facts are facts"...

You can have any opinion you want, but,  no one can have their own facts. 

It's interesting to  state that you can go almost anywhere with a 40 foot 5th wheel.  You can certainly find a limited number of parks...53% of them provided there's space.    Yes, in your case... that requires a lot of planning. 

When I travel, whether it's an RV park or even hotels...yes, we've been known to stay in hotels... even though we have the Sprinter.... I never make reservations...

We just figure it out as we are driving, call ahead and stay wherever we want or just drive in... there's normally always space for a 23 foot Sprinter van....

Our 23 foot RV can fit into 93 %  of the parks.......you see what I mean? 

See these articles below and excerpt. 

• RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
  • RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however.  Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however.  Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)

https://camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks/

And state parks as well, see below. 

https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength

By the way, I'm glad it's working for you. Personally, I'm enjoying my 18 MPG and mobility and ease of getting in and out of areas.  We've put 18,000 miles on our RV since we acquired it.   What are you getting 7 or 8 MPG?  If you are lucky? 

Over time... fuel is one of the most expensive things you put in your rig...it adds up very quickly.

I wouldn't want to have a 40 footer behind me ... again, your choice.  Then again, I'm not full time.

No question that your truck and trailer are very nice ... it's your permanent home... I understand.

Finally, we are so mobile, we spend plenty of time not behind the steering wheel... our set up is so fast with an awning, couple of chairs,  no hook up except electricity when it's available....we can be ready to roll in about 15 minutes.  I like that.

10 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Darryl, I understand, but, there's fewer spots and the space is an issue. 

I'm sorry for my "ignorance" but,  ..".facts are facts"...

You can have any opinion you want, but,  no one can have their own facts. 

It's interesting to  state that you can go almost anywhere with a 40 foot 5th wheel.  You can certainly find a limited number of parks...53% of them provided there's space.    Yes, in your case... that requires a lot of planning. 

When I travel, whether it's an RV park or even hotels...yes, we've been known to stay in hotels... even though we have the Sprinter.... I never make reservations...

We just figure it out as we are driving, call ahead and stay wherever we want or just drive in... there's normally always space for a 23 foot Sprinter van....

See these articles below and excerpt. 

• RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
  • RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however.  Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however.  Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)

https://camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks/

And state parks as well, see below. 

https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength

By the way, I'm glad it's working for you. Personally, I'm enjoying my 18 MPG and mobility and ease of getting in and out of areas.  We've put 18,000 miles on our RV since we acquired it.   What are you getting 7 or 8 MPG?  If you are lucky? 

Over time... fuel is one of the most expensive things you put in your rig...it adds up very quickly.

I wouldn't want to have a 40 footer behind me ... again, your choice.  Then again, I'm not full time.

No question that your truck and trailer are very nice ... it's your permanent home... I understand.

Finally, we are so mobile, we spend plenty of time not behind the steering wheel... our set up is so fast with an awning, couple of chairs,  no hook up except electricity when it's available....we can be ready to roll in about 15 minutes.  I like that.

Howdy Roadtrek1,

You may have noticed, the name of this sub forum is, HDT that translates into Heavy Duty Truck.  I am not saying your post doesn't have merit but perhaps it would make sense to post such information in another sub forum as I dare say 99% of the folks who frequent THIS sub forum are already aware of what your writing about and have made their decision as to THEIR preference of RV with these things in mind. 

If your Sprinter could carry my Smart Car, drag a trailer that gives me real living room as well as carry my choice of toys be they motorcycles, sidecar rigs or my newest toy a CAN AM Maverick XRC, I would probably own one.  As your Sprinter can't do these things would it make much sense for me to post about my RV's ability to do such in a sub forum 99% populated by van dweller's? 

That's a serious question by the way.  We all have choices, we all have needs, maybe some desecration should be contemplated before hitting the submit button.  Flame suit on, fire away, but you come across as one of those folks who approach folks who USE an HDT and ask that stupid question, "Hey buddy think you have enough truck...............?"

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

19 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roadtrek1,

You may have noticed, the name of this sub forum is, HDT that translates into Heavy Duty Truck.  I am not saying your post doesn't have merit but perhaps it would make sense to post such information in another sub forum as I dare say 99% of the folks who frequent THIS sub forum are already aware of what your writing about and have made their decision as to THEIR preference of RV with these things in mind. 

If your Sprinter could carry my Smart Car, drag a trailer that gives me real living room as well as carry my choice of toys be they motorcycles, sidecar rigs or my newest toy a CAN AM Maverick XRC, I would probably own one.  As your Sprinter can't do these things would it make much sense for me to post about my RV's ability to do such in a sub forum 99% populated by van dweller's? 

That's a serious question by the way.  We all have choices, we all have needs, maybe some desecration should be contemplated before hitting the submit button.  Flame suit on, fire away, but you come across as one of those folks who approach folks who USE an HDT and ask that stupid question, "Hey buddy think you have enough truck...............?"

Dave

Times like this when we need a like button. 

2013 Volvo 780 "Grunt" D13 I-Shift w/ ET Hitch

2016 Cyclone 4200

21 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Hey buddy think you have enough truck...............?"

Dave, OK, it's a fair comment.... my remarks were in relation to using a heavy duty truck to pull a 40 foot 5th wheel.... I've seen many dually diesel pickups easily do that.   Also, the remarks about me being naive and ignorant of the length of RVs in National Parks did not go unnoticed......I don't appreciate people making comments like that or misleading people thinking that a 40 foot 5th wheel with a big Mack or Peterbuilt can just pull in easily to any park....they can't....

9 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

...or misleading people thinking that a 40 foot 5th wheel with a big Mack or Peterbuilt can just pull in easily to any park....they can't....

I'm trying to find where that statement was made. Can you help me out?? 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

23 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Dave, OK, it's a fair comment.... my remarks were in relation to using a heavy duty truck to pull a 40 foot 5th wheel.... I've seen many dually diesel pickups easily do that.   Also, the remarks about me being naive and ignorant of the length of RVs in National Parks did not go unnoticed......I don't appreciate people making comments like that or misleading people thinking that a 40 foot 5th wheel with a big Mack or Peterbuilt can just pull in easily to any park....they can't....

No, you've seen duallys PULL a forty foot fifth wheel. Just because they're doing it doesn't make it EASY.. Or even SMART.. Safety is actually important to many of us. Saying that a forty foot fifth wheel with Mack attached can't pull into a park isn't at all true either. They can pull into any place the owner desires to. Just talk to some of them instead of making unfounded accusations.  Jay

5 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

We have stayed in county, state, federal, COE, Tribal parks and haven't had issues and used our Volvo as a daily driver for 4 years. So I don't understand the comment here.  

Also, our 25000lb gross, 5000lb pin weight can be pulled by a dually pickup.  But I don't want to replace the pick up every 3-4 years when it's worn out from being used at 85% of its capacity for extended amounts of time.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

I want to see a sprinter that can do this...

S3mPWKvl.jpg

We each have our own ideas of fun. I can take the heavy toys with me, or I can take a cool convertible that can go most anywhere and parallel park in a broom closet. Can’t do that with a one ton.

Life would stink if we all had our choice of model T in any color, as long as it is black.

Now back to the OP, most engines before ‘07 were serviceable. There were a few Cummins with CAPS fuel system issues, 3176 Cats, and such that may not have the best reputation. The newer emission engines after ‘10 seem to be better with the exception of Navistar, and mixed reviews on the Paccar.

As far as service availability, there are many truck shops that are open 24/7. Try finding that for a LDT. Where I am, there are plenty of Ford dealers, but it may be a month before they can look at your Super Duty.

As for the OP, we have an older Volvo with the D12. Put a lot of money into the motor. I understand that's not common. It usually takes a Volvo garage for some of the engine work but I've had repairs done at Ford dealerships & many other independent shops.

Moresmoke nailed it when he said, find a dealership to work on your truck 24/7. I've been to truck shops that said to get in line your next or can you bring it in tomorrow? Yesterday I had a rear bag leak. Drove down to an independent truck shop with my car & was told to go get the truck, I'll put a guy on it. 

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Roadtrek1: my 160” wb little phart  Kenworth has a 18,000lb payload, is shorter from front bumper to steer axle than a pickup, and the turn radius is inside a 168” wb Dodge or Ford pickup and more inside a GM...

It fit’s in a mall parking space.

Its funny when careless sunsabitches open their doors and smash them into the steel skirts of the tow body or the hefty fuel tank steps...

It’s the big, tall, clumsy trailer that limits where I can get under the branches to park.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Visit the General RV Information  forum.  It will be readily  apparent "Roadtrek 1" is chock full of a series of endless questions -  but somehow - on the HDT forum- he's chock full of "know it all" - as what HE has is the best for everyone.

Just add an "L" on the end of the word...."Drive" - and ignore the peanut gallery !!..🐘

😀

I have seen plenty of these 'euro' vans on the road ,always memorable because the slightest hill drops their speed more then another RV .

On canadian mostly 2 lane highways they always have a long tail of vehicles waiting to get by.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

I have a sister in law who bought one a few years ago.  All we heard was how they could go anywhere, park anywhere, good fuel economy, blah, blah........

She mentioned going to the shower house every day.  I asked why her coach didn't have a shower, to which she replyed, "it does, but that's where we have the coolers."  I asked, don't you a refrigerator?  She said yes, but it's very small.

They now have a much bigger class a and tow a car.

Life is a series of compromises.  One size does not fit all.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net