Passport Renewal

I have been full time many years now and use the Escapees South Dakota address as my legal domicile address. I have a friend who just went full time and he and his wife use a South Dakota address ( non Escapee) in Souix Falls. They are currently in Florida for the winter. The wife went to renew her Passport and was told that she had to have a physical address. A mail forwarding address, PMB, was not acceptable. The private campground they are in allowed her to use their address to get a Florida drivers liscense so she could renew her Passport. I will need to renew my Passport next year. Has anyone used an Escapees address, TX, FL or SD for a Passport renewal? 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We renewed ours last year with our Livingston address, not a problem.

Downloaded the forms, made copies of everything requested, attached picture and sent it all in.  No speaking to anyone,just sent it in and took note of check being cashed so knew they would shortly be on the way.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Yes but the law changed since last year per my friend. So under the new law can I renew my Passport with a mail forwarding address or do I need a physical address? I am a full timer and do not have a physical address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

I don’t renew until next year. Just wondering if anyone else besides my friends wife has had trouble using a mail forwarding address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

FWIW passports don't contain address information.  The address to which a new passport is shipped is for delivery purposes only.  The renewal application contains separate lines for "mailing address" and "permanent address".  The permanent address entry states "no PO boxes" but doesn't have any other restrictions noted.  

Your friend's wife probably went to a Post Office for the renewal rather than having completed the online form and mailed it.  And she probably encountered an employee who didn't know the rules. There's no one to ask you questions if you do it online.  There's no indication that the law changed recently; I think that's a misunderstanding of the banking "know your customer" rules which aren't applicable to this.

Here's a link to the online renewal information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/forms.html

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 10 months later...

We are SD SKPs but use the Livingston address for everything. Can I use the TX address on the passport application or does it need to match my drivers license? My current license is not updated to the SKPs SD address yet. I was with Terry Lund and they closed there doors very quickly. Thanks for any insite.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 hours ago, rynosback said:

We are SD SKPs but use the Livingston address for everything. Can I use the TX address on the passport application or does it need to match my drivers license?

Are you renewing or applying for the first time? If you are renewing it will make no difference at all since nowhere does it ask about your current driving license or ID other than your previous passport. The form clearly asks for a mailing address where you will receive the new passport, once it has been issued. There is no address on your passport since it is to identify you as a United States citizen and has no connection to where you domicile. There is no change of address when you move as that doesn't matter. Line 18 does ask for a permanent address but those can be different, and often are. Since there is no identity requirement beyond the old passport the driver's license address should not be a problem. 

If you are applying for a new issue passport, that form does have two places that ask for an address. Line 8 clearly asks for a mailing address that your new passport will be mailed to, while line 19 asks for your permanent address which would be the SD address and could be different from the mailing address. I could find nothing to say that your address on your citizenship supporting information (D/L, etc.) has to match the permanent or the mailing address, that isn't a requirement but it doesn't there is a chance that it could be questioned. From the instructions with the form: "You must establish your identity to the satisfaction of the acceptance agent and Passport Services. We may ask you to provide additional evidence to establish your identity. If you have changed your name, please see travel.state.gov for instructions." I think that if it were me and I was applying for the first time, I would do an address change for the SD driving license before applying for a passport just to avoid any possible problems. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Are you renewing or applying for the first time? If you are renewing it will make no difference at all since nowhere does it ask about your current driving license or ID other than your previous passport. The form clearly asks for a mailing address where you will receive the new passport, once it has been issued. There is no address on your passport since it is to identify you as a United States citizen and has no connection to where you domicile. There is no change of address when you move as that doesn't matter. Line 18 does ask for a permanent address but those can be different, and often are. Since there is no identity requirement beyond the old passport the driver's license address should not be a problem. 

If you are applying for a new issue passport, that form does have two places that ask for an address. Line 8 clearly asks for a mailing address that your new passport will be mailed to, while line 19 asks for your permanent address which would be the SD address and could be different from the mailing address. I could find nothing to say that your address on your citizenship supporting information (D/L, etc.) has to match the permanent or the mailing address, that isn't a requirement but it doesn't there is a chance that it could be questioned. From the instructions with the form: "You must establish your identity to the satisfaction of the acceptance agent and Passport Services. We may ask you to provide additional evidence to establish your identity. If you have changed your name, please see travel.state.gov for instructions." I think that if it were me and I was applying for the first time, I would do an address change for the SD driving license before applying for a passport just to avoid any possible problems. 

Thanks. Yes we have current passports that are going to expire mid April 2020.

Edited by rynosback

• 7 months later...
31 minutes ago, Vasaelch said:

I am using an Escapee address, and i am not sure what if i can renew my passport with it.

You can and we did. The only need for an address on a US Passport is to let them know where to mail the new one to. No reason to create a problem where none exists. Just download this form, print it, fill it out and mail it in, following the included instructions. Nothing difficult at all. 

Like Kirk, we both renewed our passports by mail, followed the instructions on the link he provided, and got ours in about 3 weeks after application was received.   Old passports were mailed back to us in separate envelopes and came about 4 days later.   Couldn't have been simpler.    Please don't over think this, just follow the instructions.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 3/30/2019 at 9:48 PM, Twotoes said:

I have been full time many years now and use the Escapees South Dakota address as my legal domicile address. I have a friend who just went full time and he and his wife use a South Dakota address ( non Escapee) in Souix Falls. They are currently in Florida for the winter. The wife went to renew her Passport and was told that she had to have a physical address. A mail forwarding address, PMB, was not acceptable. The private campground they are in allowed her to use their address to get a Florida drivers liscense so she could renew her Passport. I will need to renew my Passport next year. Has anyone used an Escapees address, TX, FL or SD for a Passport renewal? 

If should renew it now. Mine took 8 months to renew. Covid hit right after they got it.

• 2 years later...

Mailing Address Line 1 and 2 "In Care Of": For line 1 enter applicant’s Street/RFD #, or P.O. Box or URB. For line 2, if you do not live at the address listed in this field, put the name of the person who lives at this address and mark it "In Care Of".

The passport renewal does NOT say that a PMB is not allowed, to the contrary it very specifically allows a PO Box. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t even think about any address problem when I renewed my passport - I filled out the paperwork and sent it in to the address for Texas residents (I domicile in Livingston).  Sent it off in May (from Arizona), they renewed it and sent it to Livingston toward the end of July.

We are long-terming on a military installation and have a PO box with street address at the Post Office on post (still have our Escapees address, too). Of course, being on a military installation, this Post Office handles a lot of passport business and does the photos, too. I was handed the forms and instructed to bring them back, have our photos taken, and everything will be sent off from there. The passports will be returned to our PO box on post.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

4 hours ago, Second Chance said:

The passports will be returned to our PO box on post.

Passports do not have an address anywhere on them so the address used is not a factor. They are only proof of citizenship and identity. They stay with you no matter where you choose to domicile or reside.

3 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Passports do not have an address anywhere on them so the address used is not a factor. They are only proof of citizenship and identity. They stay with you no matter where you choose to domicile or reside.

I understand that Kirk. We have both lived and worked overseas.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg