knee replacement Update

Lance A Lott

Congratulations Dave for riding that Peterbilt of knee replacement. Just want to know if it feels more like straight nose 357, or the more aerodynamic 579. 

Looked at that Nano Knee Replacement Institute ads and video. Left me a little puzzled, on one end, they seem to utilize the same approach as Conformis to determine what you need for a prosthesis, what puzzles me is how they got around numerous Conformis patents on patient specific implants, manufacturing processes, instruments, software, etc.

The cheerful video of patients within days enjoying the freedoms of activities and scaling rock piles smells of Hollywood production piece devoid of reality.  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

The cheerful video of patients within days enjoying the freedoms of activities and scaling rock piles smells of Hollywood production piece devoid of reality.  

Henry and Dave, I also was greatly encouraged, the fate of mankind's knee joints are looking extremely rainbow/unicorn-like.     My hip surgeon called it "Hollywood" and "Snazzy".

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Congratulations Dave for riding that Peterbilt of knee replacement. Just want to know if it feels more like straight nose 357, or the more aerodynamic 579. 

Looked at that Nano Knee Replacement Institute ads and video. Left me a little puzzled, on one end, they seem to utilize the same approach as Conformis to determine what you need for a prosthesis, what puzzles me is how they got around numerous Conformis patents on patient specific implants, manufacturing processes, instruments, software, etc.

Howdy Henry,

Sir, you have got to be Supermans good looking younger brother, how you had both knees replaced pretty much at the same time is a testament to just how darn tough an old goat you are.

Seriouly I have always considered myself to be one of the orneriest critters God ever made the mistake of turning loose on this planet ONE knee at a time is enough for me to deal with.  Most of the time I really don’t have much if any pain UNTIL I move to get out of bed into or out of a chair getting onto and off the pot is enough to make me light headed.

The PT is kicking my butt, I think I overdid it last night as I had a hard time sleeping because of the pain.  Just kinda taking it easy today I see the PT folks tomorrow so I will talk to them and ask if I am stretching to hard.

One of the problems I have is our home is so small I can’t really do any worthwhile walking, we have gravel walkways so being able to move around is difficult I think this is why I am not loosing up as I should.

Dave

PS. I don’t have access to my computer so I am responding using my phone, I always try to reply to each individual but doing this by phone is hard for me so please don’t take it personal if I don’t reply to each post as I normally do.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and for your well wishes they are most appreciated.

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, glad things are going well and I also admire a 2 knee replacement recipiant. Tomarrow makes 5 months for me and this post. I just got back from 2 and a half weeks of horse campimg and I cant believe how much it hirts to climb stairs. I have had no isues wirh the knee but the cord running up the back of the knee has been a pain in the neck. I allmost never took the oxy during the day but at night I did for sleep, I was still able to only use 20. I tell people it didnt realy hurt just ached so you could not settle down when everything was quite. My father and I both over did but you probably wont 2 days in a row😁.

It will all be worth it soon. Lance

6 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Dave, glad things are going well and I also admire a 2 knee replacement recipient. Tomorrow makes 5 months for me and this post. I just got back from 2 and a half weeks of horse camping and I cant believe how much it hurts to climb stairs. I have had no issues with the knee but the cord running up the back of the knee has been a pain in the neck. I almost never took the oxy during the day but at night I did for sleep, I was still able to only use 20. I tell people it didn't realy hurt just ached so you could not settle down when everything was quite. My father and I both over did but you probably wont 2 days in a row😁.

It will all be worth it soon. Lance

Lance, little trick I learned from PT people (some of these folks are phenomenal in their knowledge of our musculature), tendon pain or tendinitis is usually the final straw in the physical abuse of your muscles. If you abuse your muscles, they complain but not so much that you "have to stop". "Yeh, what's a little strain, got to push is through". Then the muscle has a discussion with all the muscles around, "Hey guys, how are doing"? "Yeh, he's pushing us but it's not to bad, how about you"? "He's pushing me too much, I give him hints but the moron keeps ignoring it". The other muscles say, "Hey Muscle Joe, send this idiot a real message down that tendon you are attached to".

Tendon pain is a symptom, you have to find the muscle the tendon is attached to, probably in the butt or lower hip area for that one. You should find a "trigger point" in that muscle (a hard spot that hurts like hell if you press on it or touch it), you need to loosen it. Don't go right at it, it's already pissed at you to high heaven. Start the massage around away from it, then as things loosen start getting closer to it until it let you work on it. Trigger points don't go away quickly it might take several days, that's why tendinitis often requires immobilization of "pissed off muscle" before it gets better. 

Phoenix, they are not sure what happened but the day after surgery as I was going into the shower I had so go up a small ramp maybe 6" long and the outside cord running down the back of the knee popped and locked the nurse had to help me sit down and then massage to get it unlocked.  This hapend several times over the next couple of weeks. Then after I was outside walking I stubbed my toe it locked but as I was moving it tore loose it really hurt but never locked again. The consensus was the cord was trying to find a new home and it finally did. 

You are probably correct in that it comes from the butt muscles as stepping up on a block backwards as well as turning 90 degrees as I step up are 2 of the added exercises I do. It now only hurts a little when I bend the leg as far as it will go and then a little more. I will probably never get the range of motion you have achieved but it is coming about 130 now with a little help. 

The good thing is I can now walk as far as I want,  shoe horses and do truck brake jobs. Sometimes it would be nice if it flexed more, and it will, but I could live with it as it is. I often use you for inspiration hope you dont mind. Lance

It's not unusual for lots of muscles to go into dormancy when ONE AS A GIMP favors these because the knees hurt. So even normal use is too much for these in the beginning after the knees get back to normal (no pain). I remember when one of my knees got to 100 degrees I reached "its limit". The PT gal said "we need to get to 110 degrees". She had my knee bent close to 100 degrees, she's massaging my leg getting me relaxed. HOLLY MOTHER OF JESUS, HOLLY TRINITY, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She smiled and said, "see, you can do it, your knee actually went past the 110 degrees".

She told me that some patients are so bad between atrophied muscles and scar tissue from the surgery, in order to get them into PT, they have to put them under anesthesia and just bend things where they need to go. She said no one want to be in the room when they do it, because of all the snapping and popping.

Edited by phoenix2013

6 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

It's not unusual for lots of muscles to go into dormancy when ONE AS A GIMP favors these because the knees hurt. So even normal use is too much for these in the beginning after the knees get back to normal (no pain). I remember when one of my knees got to 100 degrees I reached "its limit". The PT gal said "we need to get to 110 degrees". She had my knee bent close to 100 degrees, she's massaging my leg getting me relaxed. HOLLY MOTHER OF JESUS, HOLLY TRINITY, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She smiled and said, "see, you can do it, your knee actually went past the 110 degrees".

She told me that some patients are so bad between atrophied muscles and scar tissue from the surgery, in order to get them into PT, they have to put them under anesthesia and just bend things where they need to go. She said no one want to be in the room when they do it, because of all the snapping and popping.

Howdy Henry,

I have heard such stories from others and to be honest will be having a talk with my PT folks and asking them for their own safety to knock my arse OUT if such things have to be done.  I am not trying to be an Internet badass, I am simply stating a fact if that happens to me I am seriously afraid that my reaction to that kind of care would be to perform acts of physical violence upon the PT person should I be able to.  I have to be on guard in many situations where how I my react is not in the publics best interest but is in response to what I perceive as a direct threat to my wellbeing. Unfortunately I have had such things to deal with in the past.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

After one set of 4 or 5 bends, which are realy only one bend as they have you push against  them then relax so they can go farther, my PT said that's enough for now and I told her I was about to ask her to stop and that I guess I was not as tough as I thought I was.  She no she was realy pulling on it and that I could keep my opinion of my self, thank God because  I'm the only one with it.😉

Dave I think you can stop worrying about being violent with your therapist it's like learning a new control and restraint or hand to hand combat move you are part of the process and usaly aren't surprised also they usaly move very slowly as they are trying to stretch you not brake you. Mine did a wonderful job and kept me talking the whole time. Besides if you are lucky yours will be half as sweet as mine was no way you could think of her as threatening. You will like the pool at least until you get out of it, then you feel tired. 

Howdy All,

I am going to lay part of the blame for my over doing the PT on the first PT person I worked with and take the rest of the blame myself as I was trying to do what I thought she wanted.  The first person never touched me she explained the excerise and encouraged me to push through the pain, so I did to the best of my pain threshold what I thought was right.

Yesterday the man I worked with had a completely different way of doing the job.  First he applied heat to my knee explaining how the heat loosens the joint.  Then held my leg, lifted it and slowly manipulated the joint all the while talking to me and explaining what he was doing, the entire session was like this.

I left from the PT feeling much better and asked that I could continue to work with this man as much as possible while I am getting the PT.

when someone tells me to do something that is supposed to be good for me I tend to do it. I guess I also need a  person who will take the time to talk to me and explain what is being done and to not just turn me loose and hope for the best.

Today when I do the work it will be done in a different way so as not to hurt myself.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 hours ago, noteven said:

Mr cob - I prescribe a motorbike ride as soon as physical possible. Good for the brainwaves. Over

Howdy Lawrence,

About the time the left knee could handle a Ural ride it will be time to do the right one, so it’s going to be a while before that happens.

My main concern is being able to work the clutch in the Pete, so we can go south in January.  The right knee hurt more then the left one but I had the clutch knee done first so it would have longer to heal before we attempt our second escape from the NorWet gloom.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave in 5 months that knee will hardly be on your radar. I was driving farm tractors around 1month. And trimming horses feet by 2, riding horses by 6 weeks and that would have been earlier but the wheather was ify.

Your physical therapist will make all the difference in the word. Your second one sounds like what I had.

Dave, you will be fine in just a matter of time!  It was probably only 4 or 5 weeks after surgery that I was able to move my truck at Rick's place to avoid the 5 inch hail that took completed the hail damage to the trailer.  You will be fine in January.  I may be right behind you.  I will find out tomorrow what the plan is.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

2 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave, you will be fine in just a matter of time!  It was probably only 4 or 5 weeks after surgery that I was able to move my truck at Rick's place to avoid the 5 inch hail that took completed the hail damage to the trailer.  You will be fine in January.  I may be right behind you.  I will find out tomorrow what the plan is.

Howdy Rocky,

I am counting on being pretty able by the time we go south, today was another encouraging day not much pain and able to flex and move better.  

If only the va would get it together when it comes to my PT I could concentrate on my health rather then fighting to get them to take care of the bills.  I don’t know how long the people doing the PT will do it while fighting with the va to pay them.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg