knee replacement Update

Lance A Lott

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, have to take the "horse pills" before procedures. Asked my dentist about couple weeks ago, incidentally I forgot to take them but the dentist had these "in stock", he said it's changing, some orthopedists say take them (forever), new studies say you can get off them. Said ask your surgeon (again). 

Howdy All,

This is a great thread, learned some more stuff today as regards dental work.  I contacted my knee doctor, they just got a hold of me and gave me this information.  I am scheduled to have my teeth cleaned on August 8th, the left knee is to be done on August 12th, I asked if I should cancel the teeth cleaning or if I kept that appointment ( it would take 6 months to get another one through the va ) if I should take any precautions, the word from my doctor is to keep the dental appointment that is shouldn't be a problem.  So as the doctor didn't seem concerned or mention any antibiotics I plan to keep the teeth cleaning appointment.  To tell you the truth I am much more worried about picking up some bug whilst in the hospital those nasty infections can kill ya.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

Just thought I would let you folks know that I am still alive and doing very well after having my left knee replaced this morning about 10:am August 12th.

I know from taking to and reading other people’s stories that tomorrow the 13th will probably be a hard day as will the following few days but right now I am not in much pain and have made a couple of short walks.

Right now I am sitting pretty much upright in bed with my left leg strapped in to a machine that moves my leg from being straight to bending the knee to a 90 degree angle.  This causes very little pain doing that movement under  my own power really hurts.

If all continues to go well Donna will pick up tomorrow around 11: am / 2:pm and take me home.

THANK YOU Henry for telling us about the Conformis joint, from what I have learned through research and talking to my Doctor it’s the “Peterbilt” of replacement knee joints.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
Kuz i cait sqel

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Just thought I would let you folks know that I am still alive and doing very well after having my left knee replaced this morning about 10:am August 12th.

I know from taking to and reading other people’s stories that tomorrow the 13th will probably be a hard day as will the following few days but right now I am not in much pain and have made a couple of short walks.

Right now I am sitting pretty much upright in bed with my left leg strapped in to a machine that moves my leg from being straight to bending the knee to a 90 degree angle.  This causes very little pain doing that movement under  my own power really hurts.

If all continues to go well Donna will pick up tomorrow around 11: am / 2:pm and take me home.

THANK YOU Henry for telling us about the Conformis joint, from what I have learned through research and talking to my Doctor it’s the “Peterbilt” of replacement knee joints.

Dave

Great news Dave,

Keep us posted as I have my right knee scheduled for replacement on the 26th. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

3 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Great news Dave,

Keep us posted as I have my right knee scheduled for replacement on the 26th. 

Roger

Howdy Roger,

Will do.  In a few minutes they are going to strap me  into the knee bending machine, my head nurse told me that the spinal anisteahsia  (sp) would be wearing off this morning and to be prepared for the pain to start but so far it has been better then what I expected.  Last night before going to bed for the night I walked a couple hundred yards and can honestly say that the old OEM knee hurt more then the new one.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Dave's post op consultation went like this,    https://youtu.be/SZdVWKM1ILs

congratulations Dave!!!  Best wishes and best healing for you!

Howdy Sculptor,

Thanks for the early morning laugh that was great.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

29 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

Will do.  In a few minutes they are going to strap me  into the knee bending machine, my head nurse told me that the spinal anisteahsia  (sp) would be wearing off this morning and to be prepared for the pain to start but so far it has been better then what I expected.  Last night before going to bed for the night I walked a couple hundred yards and can honestly say that the old OEM knee hurt more then the new one.

Dave

Hi say good morning Dave because I say I wanted to be a good morning for you! 

This is the news I wanted to hear, because my sleep is being deprived with the pain in both knees and guess what I think I tore my left shoulder rotator cuff last week, I’m going to spend the rest of the year in the hospital recuperating if I don’t find someway to retire and relax!

Prayers for a painless therapy, Roger

Edited by Hewhoknowslittle

GCTaaehl.jpg

Congratulations Dave.  I hope you have a speedy and relatively pain free recovery.  I should be starting on your project down here in another couple of weeks.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Sounds Great Dave!  Major hint!!!!  Stay in front of the pain with the meds.  Don't wait until it hurts too much!

For anybody else maybe needing one replaced, and being situated in California, take a look at this.  A little amazing, and maybe not for everyone, but wow!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Hi Dave,

Hopefully by the time you read this you will already be recovering at home. Do what the Dr. says and do your PT faithfully. Jacolyn had shoulder problems a few years ago and she still does the exercises for a frozen shoulder and it is still working well.

Brad & Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

3 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Hi say good morning Dave because I say I wanted to be a good morning for you! 

This is the news I wanted to hear, because my sleep is being deprived with the pain in both knees and guess what I think I tore my left shoulder rotator cuff last week, I’m going to spend the rest of the year in the hospital recuperating if I don’t find someway to retire and relax!

Prayers for a painless therapy, Roger

Howdy Roger,

I am so glad I finally got around to having this done.  The only bad thing I have found when it comes to retirement is I wonder now how I ever had time to work. All the best wishes to you for your upcoming inframe rebuild

Dave.

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Congratulations Dave.  I hope you have a speedy and relatively pain free recovery.  I should be starting on your project down here in another couple of weeks.

Howdy Chad,

So far it’s going well thanks for your well wishes.

Thanks so much for taking on my trailer I know it’s going to make Donna very happy.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Speedy recovery Dave

Howdy Lawrence,

Thanks for the well wishes.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

47 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Sounds Great Dave!  Major hint!!!!  Stay in front of the pain with the meds.  Don't wait until it hurts too much!

For anybody else maybe needing one replaced, and being situated in California, take a look at this.  A little amazing, and maybe not for everyone, but wow!

Howdy Rocky,

I am not to proud to take the meds I want to take as few as possible but I will take them.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Rocky,

I am not to proud to take the meds I want to take as few as possible but I will take them.

Dave

Strong stuff in the beginning is OK, just don't be on them long term.  Someday I will share my experience with that when we see each other again!  Bless you man,

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

39 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Hi Dave,

Hopefully by the time you read this you will already be recovering at home. Do what the Dr. says and do your PT faithfully. Jacolyn had shoulder problems a few years ago and she still does the exercises for a frozen shoulder and it is still working well.

Brad & Jacolyn

Howdy Brad,

I should be on the way home in a couple of hours dealing with the va to get the walker and cane, shower bench etc.  The va will mail to me what I need but that could take up to a couple of weeks.   So I don’t know if the hospital will send me home with this gear or not.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

28 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Dave, Awesome!  Do what the docs and PT folks say.  The "Pain" from the actual cutting subsides pretty quick, and if you old knee was really bad, the new might actually be less irritating to get walking on.  

Howdy Jim,

I will listen to these folks they  know a heck of a lot more about this then I do.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Strong stuff in the beginning is OK, just don't be on them long term.  Someday I will share my experience with that when we see each other again!  Bless you man,

Howdy Rocky,

I hear you loud and clear when it comes to the drugs.  Thanks I the blessing I will take all the help I can get.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

My 90yo mom twisted her ankle and couldn't walk easily.  I stopped at the local Goodwill and bought a perfectly good basic walker for $5.   Why bother going thru the paperwork hastle -  cheap, fast, and "recycle" ya know??

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

22 hours ago, jkennell said:

My 90yo mom twisted her ankle and couldn't walk easily.  I stopped at the local Goodwill and bought a perfectly good basic walker for $5.   Why bother going thru the paperwork hastle -  cheap, fast, and "recycle" ya know??

We did the same thing last year after the ankle surgery.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg