knee replacement Update

Lance A Lott

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, noteven said:

All the best with this Dave. Say Howdy to Donna n Newt

Howdy Lawrence, ( I hope I sqelt your name correctly )

Will do.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

The continuing saga of Cob's knees.

Today I had an appointment with the knee doctor at the seattle va, they told me to show up an hour before the appointment so that I could get new xrays.  I fight seattle traffic for two hours and arrive exactly one hour before my appointment.  I present myself to the xray folks, they say that they have not received any orders to take the xrays that I will have to go back to my primary care giver ( he works at the va clinic in Mt. Vernon, 90 miles north of the seattle va hospital ) and have him resubmit the request for me to be seen by the knee doctor and this time to request new xrays.  I explain to the xray clerk that this was done when my primary care giver submitted his request last week as I saw him type it into the computer and read it at that time.

Long story short I was finally able to get the new xrays, and then talked to the knee doctor.  I told the knee doctor that I didn't have any faith in  the seattle va being able to do the work I needed done and asked that I be able to get the work done by an outside doctor of my choice.  The doctor asked why I felt this way and I gave him the full rundown of my 40 years of being cared for by the va and said if he thought I was BS'ing all he had to do was check my records and verify it for himself. 

He agreed to put in a request for me to get the work done by an outside doctor under the Veterans Choice program.  When he said this I darned near feel out of my chair, however I am NOT counting any chickens until I actually see this take place and hear from the Choice program that it has in fact been approved and authorized.  I hope to know the status of this request by the end of this week early part of next week.

Wish me luck, at least I now have some hope of being able to get this done correctly, I have contacted the local Conformis, doctor and they will accept the va Veterans Choice authorization if it does in fact happen.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Mr Cobb    From one vet to another, "Good Luck and thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep up with the post. I'm 72 and retired Navy. My knees let me know what I can Do and  can't do but so far I make it through. I have had some hearing issues and some eyeglasses issues with the Hampton Va VA and so far good results. Hope you issues work out in your favor.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Howdy All,

Thanks to the folks who have offered the well wishes, I am hoping this will work out in the end.  A couple of things the va has done well for me is eye glasses and hearing aids.  It's just worn out and combat damaged body parts that I seem to have a problem getting taken care of.  It is my honest and firm belief that 99% of the problems vets have with the va is NOT the fault of the folks who work there it is the system.  The system is not prepared to work with ongoing care, it is setup to work quite well with dealing with issues that can be resolved with immediate care but its funding and bureaucracy is not setup to deal with long term or worsening issues.  Again thanks to those who have offered well wishes and advice on how best to deal with this situation.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I just received a call from Tri-West, the people that administer at a local level the Veterans Choice Program, the va has granted my request to be treated outside of the va hospital and has issued an authorization number for my care under the Choice Program through a doctor of MY choosing.

I have made the call to the doctors office that I would like to have do the work so now it seems like I am on the path to getting this done, I can't begin to express in words what a load this has taken off my mind.  I know that I have an ordeal ahead of me but I am feeling so much better about it.  Again my thanks to those who have offered advise and encouragement.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz i caint sqel

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Congratulations Dave.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

4 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Congratulations Dave.

Howdy Chad,

I don’t at this time know when this will happen there is a good chance that it will take place about the time of the WCR, if that is the case I will not be able to attend and I am so looking forward to the rally.

It takes about two months from the first appointment till the operation as they need to make the new knees.  I will know more when I can actually talk to the doctor if possible I am going to ask that the surgery be done after the WCR that would give the time needed to recover so I could make the National Rally in October.

The Pete, has a pretty strong clutch in it I want to be able to drive this coming fall and especially this coming winter so Donna and I can escape the NorWet when it gets nasty.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Congratulations Dave!  Now you just have to git-er-done!

Howdy Rocky,

I was hoping for some divine intervention in this case, if you had put in a good word for me I sure do appreciate it.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz i caint sqel

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Congratulations Dave!  I skied Alta Utah with 3 Bionic knees this year.  Brother in law had one knee done 12 months ago and High school buddy had both of his knees done about a 18 months ago.  They are both in their late 60's and couldn't be happier.

Good Luck

Bob

PS: Thanks for your Service

Edited by Radar274

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

14 minutes ago, Radar274 said:

Congratulations Dave!  I skied Alta Utah with 3 Bionic knees this year.  Brother in law had one knee done 12 months ago and High school buddy had both of his knees done about a 18 months ago.  They are both in their late 60's and couldn't be happier.

Good Luck

Bob

PS: Thanks for your Service

Howdy Bob,

Thanks, I'll admit to being a bit afraid of having this done, as a type A control freak I am not comfortable unless I am driving or at least awake and able to yell at the person who is. <_<

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Great news

Dave if you aren’t healed fully gimme a holler I’ll wheel your rig to sunshine and warm for you. I’ll need a spot for my Triumph so I can ride back to your home base to get my rig. You n Donna n Newt will hafta work out who rides swamper seat and who rides in the bunk 🤣... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

I don’t at this time know when this will happen there is a good chance that it will take place about the time of the WCR, if that is the case I will not be able to attend and I am so looking forward to the rally.

It takes about two months from the first appointment till the operation as they need to make the new knees.  I will know more when I can actually talk to the doctor if possible I am going to ask that the surgery be done after the WCR that would give the time needed to recover so I could make the National Rally in October.

The Pete, has a pretty strong clutch in it I want to be able to drive this coming fall and especially this coming winter so Donna and I can escape the NorWet when it gets nasty.

Dave

Hopefully the timing works out for the WCR and our pre-WCR plans.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Mr Cob I am 2 1/2 weeks post replacement and have been completely off oxy for 3 or 4 days I was off it for days then had a set back with pt and had to take one.  I would not wont to drive a truck yet but could drive a car no problem. I have had trouble with the back of the knee down into the calf as my leg was so bent. I was finally put on muscle relaxers for post pt and that has helped a lot. 

The actual operation was a pice of cake. I should have done more stretches before surgery and I wish I hadn't broken my thumb 4 days prior. 

When they offer you a portable urinal to take home take it you will want it.

I am still sleeping in the recliner but spend days on the bed, when I am not exercising. That will be your job by the way exercising that is. 

So far I would do it again except for pt there is almost no pain. Actually the pain was never very bad mostly dull aches. Good luck Lance

Lance A Lott, welcome to the "club". Ah, the "mighty recliner", I spent months in it before the operation. For those wondering why, when you get really bad (like I had) you get to the point physically where you simply can't get out of the bed without excruciating pain, hence the recliner which helps to get you somewhat "vertical" in the morning. Still it took me 15-20 minutes of "preparations" in the morning before I could get onto the walker.

I'll take some pictures later to show you guys some of the "milestones" involved in physical therapy, which lead to full recovery. Remember your physical therapist is your friend and they absolutely know what they are doing. Yea, you might have to pop an oxy before you go to the therapy initially, but things will improve quickly from post op-recovery to a stage where you are essentially doing exercises to bring back all those muscles all over your body that went kaput in your body from lack of use and pain.

As an engineer I studied (and still study) all kinds of things that interest me. I approached my knees situation the same way. Here's an excellent video that shows and explains how the knees work.

Watching it I found out about ACL and realized why torn ACL that many athletes suffer is such a serious injury.

Here's another on J-curve 

Your knee is not perfectly round it's more like a flat laying J. Conformis spent a lot of research developing that perfect J shape to mimic that shape. That was not the case in older prosthesis, I noticed that many other companies also talk about the J curve in their prosthesis these days.

OK, this is for the hardcore, if you are squeamish don't open it. When I told my surgeon that I found it, he asked me "why would I want to watch it?", told him "I was an engineer and curious". It's an hour long video of the Conformis knee replacement operation. I did not find it terrible at all, but rather enlightening. 

Edited by phoenix2013

Leave it to an old coot to shine a very bright light into a corner that a younger man doesn't even know exists. On the other hand, it's good to know that there's been a progression in treatment since bloodletting. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

16 hours ago, noteven said:

Great news

Dave if you aren’t healed fully gimme a holler I’ll wheel your rig to sunshine and warm for you. I’ll need a spot for my Triumph so I can ride back to your home base to get my rig. You n Donna n Newt will hafta work out who rides swamper seat and who rides in the bunk 🤣... 

Howdy Lawrence,

Thanks for your kind offer to pilot the Pete, however if such a thing were ever to come to pass you would be pretty spoiled and want one of your own.  Newt, has his own place next to HIS window, Donna would ride shotgun, I would hold down the bunk the purr from that big yeller kitty would put me to sleep.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

15 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Hopefully the timing works out for the WCR and our pre-WCR plans.

Howdy Chad,

I am going to do everything I can to be able to be involved in the pre-WCR and the WCR, if it does take up to a couple of months to make the knees as the Conformis web site says, chances are pretty good that I'll be able to make these events that would put me in a MUCH better mood before surgery.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, mr. cob said:

put me in a MUCH better mood

Careful Dave.  You have an image to uphold........😜

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Careful Dave.  You have an image to uphold........😜

Howdy Ricky,

Well, when the pain meds wear off I'd be back to normal.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, mr. cob said:

Thanks, I'll admit to being a bit afraid of having this done, as a type A control freak I am not comfortable unless I am driving or at least awake and able to yell at the person who is. <_<

As others have said, this operation is very routine these days.  The benefit FAR outweighs the discomfort.  I was really surprised at how little pain I had (except for the PT).   

My wife and the doctor  were concerned about my ability to get up and down stairs.  They would not discharge me from the hospital until I demonstrated I could.  I was walking the hallways the day after surgery and did a flight of stairs on the second.  The walker I had been using went into the storage shed a week after I returned home.

In other words, don't sweat it.  You'll do fine.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

3 hours ago, k4rs said:

As others have said, this operation is very routine these days.  The benefit FAR outweighs the discomfort.  I was really surprised at how little pain I had (except for the PT).   

My wife and the doctor  were concerned about my ability to get up and down stairs.  They would not discharge me from the hospital until I demonstrated I could.  I was walking the hallways the day after surgery and did a flight of stairs on the second.  The walker I had been using went into the storage shed a week after I returned home.

In other words, don't sweat it.  You'll do fine.

Safe Travels...

Howdy k4rs,

Thanks for your post, other then when the va rebuilt my nose twice, I have never had any real operations, lots of local anistisha (sp) things but only really put under twice, its just something that gives me the willies.  I am kinda hyper vigilant, have an acute sense of whatever the surrounding situation is, so going under is not something I am comfortable with.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg