Lifting a Travel Trailer for Storage

RedRaider89

First off Sorry if this is a repeat question.  However the search capability is lacking on this forum and I could not get information on my specific question.

I wanted to get opinions and direction if others raise their Travel trailer off the ground on blocks on jackstands for long term storage.  Is this needed?  We normally use our Travel Trailer once or twice a year so it sets from 6 to 9 months sometimes.  I keep it in an enclosed barn so it is protected.

I have always been told that tires stored for months should be lifted off the ground or concrete. My rig's tires are on boards in a storage lot, never had any problem w/flat spotting etc.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

If it is stored on concrete, you definitely should have something under the tires, preferably of plastic. Cheap cutting boards or any heavyweight plastic that will not collect water. There are acids in the concrete that will leach up with moisture and damage the steel belts of your tires. In addition, if stored long term I would put support under the axle(s) to hold the weight of the RV in the event that a tire or tires should lose inflation pressure to prevent damage to them. If you keep the tires at proper inflation pressures that isn't needed but the support removes the need to check tire pressure. 

If not stored on concrete you still need to put something under the tires to ensure that moisture is not standing in contact with the tire since it will eventually affect the tire's metal belts. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk W.  It is stored on a concrete floor but in a completely covered enclosed metal barn.   I had a valve stem go out on me and one of the tires deflated.  It is a tandem trailer so I did put a jack stand under the axle to support the weight on the deflated tire which I plan on taking in to get repaired this weekend.  

There are no acids in concrete that "leach up with moisture". In fact, concrete is a very alkaline material. But it is permeable and can wick moisture under some circumstances. 

When parked for long periods of time I air up my tires to maximum pressure and put them on impermeable plastic cutting boards. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

12 hours ago, RedRaider89 said:

It is stored on a concrete floor but in a completely covered enclosed metal barn.

Even when inside a building, the moisture will leach up through the concrete and while it is true that I should have said alkaline rather than acid, it remains that this can penetrate the rubber of the tire and damage the steel belts. I don't know of any tire manufacturer who doesn't recommend the placing of something under the tires as I suggest. I use some cheap cutting boards.

218SYye6c4L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I used a bottle jack to lift each side and put jack stands on the frame on each side just behind the rear tandem wheel.  I did not take the wheels all the way off the ground just enough to take about 80% of the weight off the tires/suspension.  That seems to work fine for me.  

• 1 month later...