New CG Pet Rules

FL-JOE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I simply also don't understand the problem.  Oh my god!  There's a dog near the screws!!!  Yeah, so?  It's like people from CA freaking out because we have open carry firearms here in AZ, and it's rare to not see at least one of those too.  So?

I'm not saying it's a problem or that I freak out over it.  I just think it's stupid.  I mean, is your dog picking out the screws for you?  Other than a genuine service dog or having the dog fitted for some product, I see no reason to bring one in a store.

I grew up and have lived most of my life in the country.  We always had critters.  I never once in my life even thought about taking one to the store with me.  And, the friends I've had who did, the dog stayed in the back of the truck.

To each his own.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

How about just because we want to?  Or because it's too hot, and/or stupid to leave him in the car, and he's with us for other reasons?  We went to the dog park, now we shouldn't get screws or we should leave the dog in the car?  It's silly.

All that said, one of our dogs has very genuinely helped my wife deal with the accidental death of our son two years ago, and having him with us honestly helps her.  So be it.

I once took a Air France flight from LA to Paris. Many of the French had dogs with them on the plane ✈️ under their seat. They did not kennel them. When I got to Paris most of the restaurants allowed dogs to sit under the table.  Now let’s not even talk about Mexico. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

6 hours ago, Carlos said:

How about just because we want to?  Or because it's too hot, and/or stupid to leave him in the car, and he's with us for other reasons?  We went to the dog park, now we shouldn't get screws or we should leave the dog in the car?  It's silly.

All that said, one of our dogs has very genuinely helped my wife deal with the accidental death of our son two years ago, and having him with us honestly helps her.  So be it.

So, let me get this straight.  If I had my goat at the vets and was on my way home and decided to stop in Lowe's for an item you wouldn't have a problem with me putting a leash on him and dragging him into the store?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I think common sense dictates that a "Pets welcome" store policy extends only to domestic pets. But then we know how uncommon "common sense" can be sometimes. I'm reminded of a humorous sign posted by a motel: "Pets Welcome!" "Except bears... We won't make that mistake again."

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I had a neighbor who had a duck and a Vietnamise pot belly pig. He would take both for a walk every evening going down the sidewalk on our street. Neither were on a leash. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think common sense dictates that a "Pets welcome" store policy extends only to domestic pets. But then we know how uncommon "common sense" can be sometimes. I'm reminded of a humorous sign posted by a motel: "Pets Welcome!" "Except bears... We won't make that mistake again."

At a big box hardware store in Durango, CO a few years ago, I saw a guy with a monkey on his shoulder.  I queried an employee about it.  He said the person would likely just claim it is a service animal and that would end the conversation. 

What and who qualifies them as “therapy and emotional support” animals? 

Is it a money making scheme? Like give us $50 per animal and we will give you an official letter, ID stating that they are qualified animals. Besides dogs for the blind and dogs that detect many things. They take years of training with a hefty price tag.

Therapy Animals. Many people confuse Therapy Animals with Service Dogs or emotional support animals. A therapy animal is most commonly a dog (but can be cats and other species) that has been obedience trained and screened for its ability to interact favorably with humans and other animals.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Did you know that there are 24 categories just in dogs? And for a mere $25 you can license your dog. Just go hear and fill out a little and you will see what I saw.

https://assistancedogregistry.com/instant-service-dog-registration/?dog_reg_name=Rover&dog_reg_breed=Chiwawa

At the bottom click view some quick facts

Edited by rynosback

That site is a scam and shouldn't be looked to for "facts."  There's no such thing as an assistance dog license, for one.

Service animals are defined as dogs and miniature horses that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.  Period.  No other animal is a service/assistance animal.  Any animal can be called an emotional support animal, but they have NO legal protection at all.  A business can refuse to allow ANY emotional support animal of any kind.  Businesses must allow legit service dogs and mini horses, and may only ask a person if the animal is trained to do a specific task, and what the task is.  They may not ask the disability, although the task may define what it is.  A business can kick out a claimed service animal that is creating a problem, is out of control, or for which the owner will not answer those questions.

From the ADA Network:

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. ... A doctor's letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What I believe will happen in the next few years is that there will be major issues with retail establishments allowing all these "emotional" support animals to frequent their stores.  It always happens, a few will ruin it for everyone.

There will be certain individuals, the younger types who like to wear their pants about half way down to their knees, that will start marching their mix breed pit bulls into all these stores.  These untrained owners/dogs will create problems and when the businesses try to ask them to leave they will claim they are being picked on.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Maybe Walmart will bring back there greeters.  This way they can ask for the pets  credentials. As you can also just buy a vest on line. Heck I bet you could buy a card that looks like the real deal also.

18 hours ago, Carlos said:

That site is a scam and shouldn't be looked to for "facts."  There's no such thing as an assistance dog license, for one.

Service animals are defined as dogs and miniature horses that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.  Period.  No other animal is a service/assistance animal.  Any animal can be called an emotional support animal, but they have NO legal protection at all.  A business can refuse to allow ANY emotional support animal of any kind.  Businesses must allow legit service dogs and mini horses, and may only ask a person if the animal is trained to do a specific task, and what the task is.  They may not ask the disability, although the task may define what it is.  A business can kick out a claimed service animal that is creating a problem, is out of control, or for which the owner will not answer those questions.

Service dogs I get. For the blind, and ones that are trained to sense something is wrong with there owner. Where do you draw the line? To the extreme side of it. For example, I LOVE my car, guns or drugs as they support me emotionally.  So I should be able to take them everywhere? Neither of those apply to me. Everyone loves there spouse and children yet they leave them for hours on end. But I guess in today’s pampering everyone gets a trophy world. You can do what you want. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the next 50 years to see how the world is.

56 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Where do you draw the line?

What line?  Between service animals and support animals?  That line was drawn by the ADA, and I even quoted it.  So I'm not sure what you're asking.  I didn't even express an opinion on either topic, just what the law is.

You should definitely be able to take your gun almost anywhere too, of course.  And your drugs.  You can take your car almost anywhere now, so what would change?  That you take it on an airplane?

I'm still not understanding why taking a pet into Lowe's is such a horrible thing that is leading to the downfall of humanity.  I went by my favorite gun shop this morning, and the owner had his dog there.  A customer had his dog.  What exactly is the problem?

Generally speaking, it usually isn't a problem right now with most people taking their dogs into retail stores.  My point is that it seems to be getting more and more common because I seem to be seeing it more frequently.  

I just don't want it to get to the point that every time I go to a restaurant half the people in there have their dogs sitting with them.  If I wanted that sort of a dinning experience I would move to a third world country.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

We were just talking about Lowe's and places like that where it's legal and encouraged.  I've never seen an illegal dog inside a restaurant.  And yes, it's already illegal to have a non-service animal inside a restaurant, as well as in grocery stores.  Patios are a different story, it's common and perfectly acceptable here to have them on patios, and many places specifically welcome them with bowls, leash ties, and the like.

29 minutes ago, Carlos said:

We were just talking about Lowe's and places like that where it's legal and encouraged.  I've never seen an illegal dog inside a restaurant.  And yes, it's already illegal to have a non-service animal inside a restaurant, as well as in grocery stores.  Patios are a different story, it's common and perfectly acceptable here to have them on patios, and many places specifically welcome them with bowls, leash ties, and the like.

We saw what was possibly such a case just last night in a nice restaurant. As we were leaving, we noticed a small dog with a family in the entry, in a purse or bag. My wife said, "Oh, a dog", and the dad was quick to say, "he's a service dog". Maybe a so-called emotional dog.... But, not knowing the situation, it didn't seem plausible to us. It just seems to be an expanding thing, where disrespectful and dishonest people claim service dogs to take them anywhere. I think hardware stores are okay, but certainly not most other retail establishments. What the owners may not understand is, you may open your doors to dogs and other pets, but in doing so, you'll lose my business. It's their choice. I think it's great that people enjoy dogs and pets, but by the same token, I should have the freedom to not like those same pets. I just strongly prefer to not have them in my personal space. It's called freedom. Respect and consideration for others is still a good thing, in my opinion.

As FL-JOE said,

"I just don't want it to get to the point that every time I go to a restaurant half the people in there have their dogs sitting with them.  If I wanted that sort of a dinning experience I would move to a third world country."

Long before it gets to that point, I'll just quit going out. There's always Amazon, etc.

Jay

A chihuahua or toy poodle in a bag is perfectly plausible for a variety of jobs, such as epilepsy warning or PTSD episode warnings.  No idea if that was the case there.  As far as businesses, lots of them specifically welcome dogs.  We sometimes take ours there, and always ask first.  We keep them away from people.  Many come over to pet them.  That's freedom.

Yelp has a filter for "dog friendly," you could use that to avoid those places I guess.  We just had lunch on a dog-friendly patio with other people with dogs, found it using that search.  The business owner made that choice, and got our business because of it. We were at the vet 45 minutes from home, didn't want to come back then leave again.

Best Buy was an interesting one, we really didn't know what to expect.  Asked, and the front door person looked at us like we were crazy for even asking.  "Of course!" 

5 minutes ago, Carlos said:

A chihuahua or toy poodle in a bag is perfectly plausible for a variety of jobs, such as epilepsy warning or PTSD episode warnings.  No idea if that was the case there.  As far as businesses, lots of them specifically welcome dogs.  We sometimes take ours there, and always ask first.  We keep them away from people.  Many come over to pet them.  That's freedom.

Yelp has a filter for "dog friendly," you could use that to avoid those places I guess.  We just had lunch on a dog-friendly patio with other people with dogs, found it using that search.  The business owner made that choice, and got our business because of it. We were at the vet 45 minutes from home, didn't want to come back then leave again.

Best Buy was an interesting one, we really didn't know what to expect.  Asked, and the front door person looked at us like we were crazy for even asking.  "Of course!" 

And by reading many of your responses over the last few months, I know you're one of the rational and considerate ones, and you think about the sensitivities of others. Unfortunately, that attitude seems to be quite rare nowadays. I was at a rest area in CO recently. The dog walk and restrictions were clearly marked, yet 3 of the 4 dog owners I saw while there walked their dogs all around the rest of the grassy area, without any consideration to the other visitors. They did, however, generally pick up behind their dogs, so at least there was that. Jay