Raising/lowering jacks with slides out?

johnschnee

We are on our first "extended' (all Winter) trip with our 2019 Fleetwood Southwind & we are running into pretty much the same issue we had with our first Class A, a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder: after sitting for a couple of weeks we find that our rig is no longer sitting quite level! It's usually just off by a smidge at first, but after a bit longer it's impacting the flow of the roof A/C's condensation & DW notices it when melting butter in a pan - it all runs to one side! In the old rig it usually seemed that the galley slide - side would "sink", but in this rig it's been a different side each time! The first few time I would simply SLOWLY & EASILY raise the side that hand "sunk", but after doing that twice in 2 months I'm not inclined to raise a side any further (the front wheel may come up off the ground - already bent a jack in the old coach because of that (looong story!), but I'd rather just drop it down completely (meaning: raise all 4 jacks) & then SLOWLY & EASILY lower them until I've got it back to level.

What's the thinking here on lowering one's jacks & re-leveling WITH the (4) slides out?

Thanks in advance!!! 

PJs: Sorry if I wasn't clear: I've already "releveled" a couple of times (by raising which ever side has "sunk"), but now, if I raise a side any more I'll likely have a wheel off the ground. The only option I see is to raise the jacks & start over - my worry regards doing so with the slides out.

THANKS!

Are the jacks sinking into the ground or what is causing off level? If one side of the coach is now low, it must have somehow gotten closer to the ground or the other side has gotten farther from the ground. I don't see why the front wheels relationship to the ground would be different when level now than it was when you first leveled. With our class A if it became unlevel when parked it was either a jack sinking into the ground or leaking, thus lowing that side or corner of the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

50 minutes ago, johnschnee said:

PJs: Sorry if I wasn't clear: I've already "releveled" a couple of times (by raising which ever side has "sunk"), but now, if I raise a side any more I'll likely have a wheel off the ground. The only option I see is to raise the jacks & start over - my worry regards doing so with the slides out.

THANKS!

You could try lowering the side that is high.  I have done that too.  Nothing wrong with having wheels off the ground to get level.  I wouldnt worry about releveling with the slides out.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

You might want to need to read your manual to see what the manufacturer says about the relationship between leveling and sides. Some say level first, some say open slides first. If yours says the latter you should be fine releveling.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Kirk W. We are currently on concrete, so no way my jacks are sinking into the ground. I believe I'm experiencing a very slow loss of hydraulic pressure - that'll be addressed at the dealer when we get back home in April, but after talking with other Class "A" owners it seems to be a pretty common "issue" many face.  

As you likely are aware raising my jacks is an "all-or-nothing" proposition, so I can't simply lower the "high-side" just a tad. Now, after having raised a side earlier this stayover I can't raise it any more without risking lifting a wheel off the ground (a HUGE "no-no"), so I believe I either need to bring all 4 slides in & raise the jacks & relevel OR leave the 4 slides out & relevel that way.  My concern, of course, is somehow harming/bending/offending a slide mechanism, which could be HORRIBLE! 

Thoughts?

I always have to readjust a bit as we sit and the left front airbag loses the last bit of air.  Usually only have to do it once.  To start all over, I’d bring the slides in before bringy all of the jacks up.  I’d also put s block under each jack so that they don’t extend all the way out. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

As said above, check your owners manual. Some say level before extending slides, some say extend the slides then level. Do what yours says. Also, I saw an add for a product called Snap Pads. You put them on the jack pad and it prevents your jack from sinking into the ground. Haven’t got them yet myself but they are on my list. Also saw a product called Outrigger. It’s a rubber pad to put on the ground instead of using wood or plastic blocks. They are made for the construction industry but are also available for RVs. I know you said you are on concrete so neither will help you in this situation but may be nice to have for the future. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

13 hours ago, johnschnee said:

Kirk W. We are currently on concrete, so no way my jacks are sinking into the ground. I believe I'm experiencing a very slow loss of hydraulic pressure - that'll be addressed at the dealer when we get back home in April, but after talking with other Class "A" owners it seems to be a pretty common "issue" many face.  

As you likely are aware raising my jacks is an "all-or-nothing" proposition, so I can't simply lower the "high-side" just a tad. Now, after having raised a side earlier this stayover I can't raise it any more without risking lifting a wheel off the ground (a HUGE "no-no"), so I believe I either need to bring all 4 slides in & raise the jacks & relevel OR leave the 4 slides out & relevel that way.  My concern, of course, is somehow harming/bending/offending a slide mechanism, which could be HORRIBLE! 

Thoughts?

It makes no sense that you would lift your tires off of the ground.  If you lost hydraulic pressure then the distance the jack was extended would be less than it was, so extending it would just put you back to were you were.  If the jacks were sinking into the ground (since you are on concrete that is not happening) even then extending the jacks would not lift the tires off of the ground. 

The only way I could see that you could get into raising the tires on one side off of the ground is if the jacks on the other side where somehow raising that side and you extended the other jacks to level the rig. 

As far as retracting the jacks and then re-leveling with the slides out, as long as the process does not twist the frame by raising of lowering one corner you won't have a problem.  Twisting the rig of square would be a problem.  

I have from time to time, with the slides out on all 3 of the motorhomes I have had, pulled up the jacks and moved the rig forward or back a couple of feet and then re-leveled.  No damage to the slideouts.  

I guess one word of caution though.  If you have one of those rigs with a full side slideout, which seem to be so popular these days, I would always pull that big slide in.   Then again I would not by a RV with a full side slideout.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I've heard that some slides can be damaged by leveling with them out.  It only takes the press of a button to bring them in. Why risk any damage?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Guess I'm not seeing the problem correctly, I feel as AL F stated. Unless John schnee has unusual Hyd jacks they may be raised or lowered manually with the touch of a button, and they are designed to avoid twisting/ torquing the frame when used.

When we are stationary for 3 months each winter, I re-level about once a month with the slide extended because we are parked on grass and the support boards do sink into the ground over time. Once again, the HWH jack system is designed to avoid torquing the frame.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Guys (Gals?): I very much appreciate all the input above. I went browsing through my owner's manual (as some wise person(s) above suggested) & found out that, while when I have my jack system on "AUTO" a push of the RETRACT ALL JACKS button brings them all completely up, if I have the system on "MANUAL" the jacks will only retract while the button is pushed, so I did just that (held the retract button just enough for all the jacks to come up "just a bit"), then I releveled the rig so's now she (dear Wife!) is content - at least, for the moment!  🙂

We have the Lippert Level-Up 6 jack system on our DRV Mobile Suite.  During the normal set up we/I hit the Auto Level button and let the system do its thing.  Unless we are on concrete, I usually have to relevel again in a few days as we sink or settle.  Even with large pads under the jacks, we still settle into the ground.  For the relevel, we leave the slides out and haven't had any issues.  

Our "Clue" that we are out of level is the bathroom door closes on its own.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The shower door ease of closing is my ‘tell’.  I will adjust with slides out since it is always minor.  But for complete releveling, I follow the manufacturer guide, all slides in before bring jacks up.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived