Why we purchased a Class B... ?

Roadtrek 1

A Class A or even a 40 foot 5th wheel is essentially like a  "rolling apartment" as stated in this website below, that very concisely describes the pros and cons of each of these Class RVs.    

https://www.roamingremodelers.com/blog/pros-cons-3-motorized-rv-types

Here's the quote;  PLEASE... don't get upset with me..

"Being that they can feel like a rolling apartment, they can cost as much (or more!) as buying an apartment (or even a house)."

We didn't want to over complicate things and keep a lighter footprint for both maintenance and environmental reasons.    The Class B gets 18 MPG reliably.

For just the two of us, this model works for us.  We don't need or want the expenses associated with a vehicle that is larger than we need. 

Because of it's size and manueverability and being able to park or drive it virtually anywhere, it could even be used as a second car. 

Please understand that I in no way is making any judgments about people wanting a 35 to 45 foot RV... get whatever you want. 

There's a lot of other Class B's out there now and of course Roadtrek is currently out of business. We'll see if another company picks them up. It certainly doesn't diminish the older Roadtrek models.   If 2019 is really the end of the line for Roadtrek it might make the some of models out there right now seem more desirable on the used market.    

It certainly did not hurt the VW Rialta that went out to production in and the last model year was 2005.... Plenty of people are still searching for an old Rialta. 

How long did you keep your Class B and did you  purchase it new?   If you traded up, please share your story on how you did that. 

I realize that one size doesn't fit all... however, why would the two of us want a 40 foot rig of any Class?  If I want more space...I'll just stay home.  The only time we desire more space on the road is when it's constantly raining and feel couped up in the vehicle.... it's not a good time to go camping in the rain. 

Finally, many people have strong opinions about the "high price" of these vehicles...it's TRUE... you might not imagine that a Class B that has a MSRP of $150,000.   That's why I purchased my 2012 model for 50 percent off the newer model...I saved a lot on the sales tax just by purchasing used.  My vehicle only had 26,000 miles on the vehicle when I acquired it....I would call that slightly used. 

The vehicle in this you tube video below is a  newer model, but, essentially it's the same vehicle.   After I saw this video, I made the decision to get a C!ass B... not necessarily a Roadtrek..we looked at a few others... Coachman Galleria and Winnebago Era. 

• I am on my second Roadtrek.  I purchased the first 1996 210 Popular used with 86,000 and traded it with 222,000 for a new one in 2016 190 Popular when I sold my home.   I wanted a used one buy could not find one (I wanted one with the 6 year warranty - hopefully that might still be honored if the company is resurrected).
  • I live in it fulltime with a kitty and would not want to do it with a second person.  I spend alot time workamping in the national parks.....Big Outdoors
  • If I had a second driver I would have kept the old one and left it is Alaska for trips there without having to drive the long trip from the lower 48

26 minutes ago, trostberg said:
  • I am on my second Roadtrek.  I purchased the first 1986 210 Popular used with 86,000 and traded it with 222,000 for a new one in 2016 190 Popular when I sold my home.   I wanted a used one buy could not find one (I wanted one with the 6 year warranty - hopefully that might still be honored if the company is resurrected).
  • I live in it fulltime with a kitty and would not want to do it with a second person.  I spend alot time workamping in the national parks.....Big Outdoors
  • If I had a second driver I would have kept the old one and left it is Alaska for trips there without having to drive the long trip from the lower 48

When you traded it in with 30 years and 222,000 miles... what did you get for it?  Depending upon your answer... maybe I should should keep mine longer than I planned??

What did you have to pay for the 2016 RT with how many miles?

I meant to say 1996 Roadtrek I bought used.  I traded for $5000 and I am sure they sold it for at least $8,000.  There are good deals on Roadtreks right now because the company has just gone out of business unless they find a new buyer.  I bought mine new and it was a good deal at $85,000.  

On 3/5/2019 at 6:55 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

....traded it with 222,000 for a new one in 2016 190 Popular when I sold my home

I understand...it's a nice rig and it's your home. I hope you made some money from the sale of your house.... Dealerships are sneaky the way they make deals...they probably did undervalue your 1996...so, in essence, you paid closer to $90k than $85..... doesn't matter... I'm just saying...it's all relative.

Remember that mileage becomes less important as a vehicle ages...so, even if you had 350,000 miles it wouldn't have devalued your vehicle that much more.

It's all about condition at 20 years...

Good luck with your work camping...it sounds like a young person's game.. my opinion. 

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1996/Roadtrek/Popular-190-Dodge/3027012/Values

Archived