Long term international travel

omnisrex

Hi, I am planning to buy and RV and drive it down to Brasil.  I expect the trip to take two to three years, perhaps longer.  However I am not sure what to do with the vehicle registration.  I obviously won't be able to provide smog certification while abroad.  If the RV is going to be out of the country for years do I need to worry about renewing the US car registration?  Would I need a valid US registration to do temporary vehicle imports in other countries?  What happens if the registration has been expired for years and I bring the vehicle back to the US?  Does anyone have experience in this?

My experience did not start in the US nor include a US vehicle, and was over 30 yrs ago. We wanted nothing to do with driving through Central America. We were a small group of mountain climbers primarily interested in climbing many of the glacier covered mountains in the Andes.. So we flew to Quito Ecuador, bought a van and drove the length of the Andes, stopping frequently to climb along the way,  we drove as far south as the Towers of Paine National Park in southern Chile, then sold the van and flew back home. We were on the road just over 1 year.

My suggestions would be.... Before leaving the US, "move" to a state that doesn't require annual smog or safety inspections, and one that will allow registration renewals over the internet or through a 3rd party, like a mail forwarding company. Most of the mail forwarding agencies used by fulltime RV'ers offer a vehicle registration service.

It will vary from border to border, but having a valid current registration will help reduce the "bribes" you will be asked for. You should do some homework up front on each countries vehicle import requirements, vehicle taxes and insurance requirements. Many countries will not accept a US drivers license. But its easy to get an International Driving Permit, that most will accept. You will also need to ship the vehicle by sea from Panama to Columbia, to get around the Darien Gap. I think you should plan on selling the vehicle where ever your trip ends, bringing it back to the US will not be practical or economically feasible. 

Several folks have done this drive much more recently and you may find their stories & contact info online. Not usually done in a true RV since many of the roads are near impassable and frequent pushing & towing is required.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  I have done some research but am hoping for the recent experiences about the temp import process of various Latin American countries, especially Mexico.  In an ideal result current US vehicle registration won't matter since keeping up a current US vehicle registration has a lot of extra costs including buying US car insurance which won't even cover my vehicle in other countries.  Thank you for your reply though.

You need to search for the adventure website that the European Overlanders have. They roam the planet for years in vehicles registered in Europe. You see them here in the US too big 4 and 6 wheel drive monsters.

We don't seem to be that deeply into exploration from this side of the pond.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

In Texas you can renew registration by mail and you don't have to have inspections until you return to Texas.  There is a separate form to fill out when you renew by mail to certify you are out of state and can't have the vehicle inspected. 

The Escapees (the owner of this forum) has an excellent mail service:  https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/  and you can register your vehicle at the address the mail service provides.  

Info about creating a domicile and/or registering your vehicle at Escapees here: https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/

If you are coming from a foreign country and wanting to just register your vehicle, the search this forum for "domicile" and/or "vehicle registration".  I know a number of non US citizens have used Escapees for registering vehicles.  I just have never paid attention to the details. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 2/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, omnisrex said:

n an ideal result current US vehicle registration won't matter since keeping up a current US vehicle registration has a lot of extra costs including buying US car insurance which won't even cover my vehicle in other countries. 

I think you're making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. As long as you set it up ahead of time in a Fulltime Traveler friendly state, it shouldn't be a problem. As for the required US vehicle insurance, it varies state to state, but as long as you avoid the "no fault" states like Florida, the required insurance for most others is a minimal amount of Liability Coverage thats very cheap. Most states don't require you to actually insure the vehicle, just have a bit of Liability coverage in case you hit someone. No it won't cover you in foreign countries, but having that current valid US registration will make your life easier at each border crossing.

Jim

From personal experience, other countries will not bother with or even recognize the annual registration most countries don't have them, just a title. A friend of ours kept his US registered motorcycle in Europe for years. We were talking to a German police officer and he was fascinated by my Maryland plates and my friends Illinois ones. Then he asked what the little sticker with the date on it was for because mine said July 2006 and my friends said August 2001!! We said that was when the plates were issued and he lost interest.

They won't ask for a safety or smog certificate, you are just passing thru their country. Some countries will sell you insurance at the border, liability only. Mexico insists you have insurance which specifically includes their country and it's available online. We got insurance for our US registered motorcycle thru AEG and it covered us in all European countries but .specifically excluded some countries like Bulgaria and Rumania.

What a lot of countries will ask for is a Carnet De Passage for your vehicle which ensures you will export the vehicle and not try to sell it while you are in their country. AAA is probably the best source for that kind of info. The Embassies of the various countries you propose to visit will be able to give you specific requirements.

For our 2 European trips we started planning over a year in advance.

Happy searching.

BnB

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Thanks to everyone for their information.  I am considering either Texas or South Dakota as the Domicile.  S. Dakota seems to be the more expat friendly with 1 day stay requirement and  has mail in registration too but requires in person driver's license renewal every 5 years.  Texas has the inspection requirement but as some have noted can be excused if not in state.  

I'm not 100% sure but I think SD you have to renew your DL after 5 years but then you can renew by mail the 2nd time? Somebody will have the latest info. I'll find out next year when our is due for renewal.

You can get (and some countries require) an International Driving License, it doesn't replace your regular license but is in an internationally required format. AAA is the source for that too.

Thinking back on the many trips we've made thru Europe and the Eastern Bloc before the walls came down, the only documents I've been asked to produce have been Passports, an Insurance Green Card, a Carnet and an International DL.

Again requirements vary from country to country and I am fortunate that we've never been involved in an accident or been given a ticket overseas.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

BnB

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Archived