Victron inverter 240v

GlennWest

Glenn, there are simple relatively cheap ways using a common generic  "dry transformer" (if such is available??) to get 120/240 Single Phase Three Wire out of a 120 VAC single phase source be it a Victron or anything else. If you had say only one leg of straight 120 VAC available you can use a transformer that steps that up to 240 VAC Line to Line equipped with a center tap Neutral. That way you end up with the same as a residential 120/240 Single Phase Three Wire with two 120 legs and 240 Line to Line. Assuming any transfer method switches the Neutral you would configure the dry transformer (I'm talking about an isolation transformer here not an autotransformer) as a Separate Derived Source using a Bonded Neutral. Obviously the dry transformer needs the correct specs, such as say 120 VAC Primary in and 240 Secondary out with a center tap you use for Neutral PLUS it needs the required power rating DUH.   Or use a Victron Autotransformer as discussed above (Im unfamiliar with them) if available and it does the job ?? and compare prices etc., IE do your homework and make YOUR choice

John T

Single unit is much less wiring and simple. But I want whole camper to run on inverter. Magnum just goes to 4400 watts. That is why I was researching Victron. Thanks guys.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 year later...

Victron 230v units are 50hz. I read one can change that with software. That unit is made for the Europeaan community. And yes, with all VIctron to get 240v 60hz you need a transformer. That is why I decided to use Magnum Pae units. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

17 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Victron 230v units are 50hz. I read one can change that with software. That unit is made for the Europeaan community. And yes, with all VIctron to get 240v 60hz you need a transformer. That is why I decided to use Magnum Pae units. 

This is incorrect.  Victron makes inverters capable of 240 volt 60 hz operation.  It can be done with two 120 volt inverters run in opposing phases with one being a master and the other a slave or with a single 240 volt capable inverter.  There are many people who use Victron inverters to produce 240 volt 60 hz power.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Glenn, I don't have the specs or wiring diagrams for any Victron units you are considering. That being said, do any of the appliances you will be using require 240 VAC ??? DO YOU NEED 240 ??? I ask because many 50 Amp RV's just use two legs of 120 (perhaps one AC on L1 other AC on L2) and nothing requires 240. Subject to how an RV pedestal is configured if it had two legs of 120 THAT WERE IN PHASE (NOT 180 out like typical 120/240 single phase three wire residential)  there's a risk the Neutral could be over loaded.

If a person were to use two separate 120 VAC Inverters, one for each leg in a 50 amp RV, they need to be synchronized so each is 180 out of phase with the other. If two legs of 120 are 180 out with each other you end up with 240 L1 to L2. In pass through hybrid inverters they are synced with the utility power.

As I noted above one option (if available) is the use of a dry transformer (perhaps Victron or another???)  that has a 240 Volt secondary winding having a center tap, which is similar to your homes transformer, thus providing two legs of 120 each 180 out of phase with the other and 240 L1 to L2. Again, if you were to end up with two legs of 120 that are in phase, there's no L1 to L2 240 and there could be a Neutral issue. 

PS In the electrical power distribution trade where I practiced at least, this is called "120/240 Single Phase Three Wire" instead of split phase. A single phase motor might be called split phase as it has a start winding and a separate run winding........... 

Maybe talk to Victron for advice, they know this stuff better then I do for darn sure

John T    Too long retired this is getting over my pay grade lol

Edited by oldjohnt

5 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

This is incorrect.  Victron makes inverters capable of 240 volt 60 hz operation.  It can be done with two 120 volt inverters run in opposing phases with one being a master and the other a slave or with a single 240 volt capable inverter.  There are many people who use Victron inverters to produce 240 volt 60 hz power

Please supply a link to a single Victron inverter for split phase 240v. I have not found such. Every Muti or Quadro I researched only had two legs hot on shore power. When running on batteries, one hot leg only.

Edited by GlennWest

Been this morning comparing using 2 Magnum 4448 vs one Victron 10k 120v and a autotransformer. With all the connections needed for two inverters, I had decided to use an E Panel for simplicity and cleaning up the wiring. Also need the artr remote to link the inverters together. Well my cost now is very close to Victron with transformer, <200.00. A lot simpler and way less connections. I may would build a bypass for maintance also. Have not figured on a remote for the Victron. Now I can go with 120v or 230v Viictron. 

Edited by GlennWest

You're looking at about $500 and 30 lbs of weight for a 4.6 Kw 240 to 120-0-120 dry transformer, and you'll have a cobbled together system.  I'd just bite the bullet and add a second inverter if you have any 240 volt loads, if you don't just use a single 120 volt inverter and configure it to feed both sides of the breaker panel in parallel.   Neutral overload isn't an issue as the maximum inverter power is 5000 watts, or 42 amps.

It's no different than plugging the RV into a 30 amp shore power feed, except you have 5000 watts available,  not 3600.

Or let the Victron only feed one half of your power panel and leave the other on shore/generator power.  Move the circuits you want to feed with the inverter to the inverter side and put the ones you don't want on the inverter on the generator/shore power side.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Sounds like you are not a fan of autotransformers. Victron pushes them for getting both legs hot. Please explain. I also need 240 for my mini split.

Edited by GlennWest

On the pkys website, they state a way to wire multi or Quattro to get 240 180 degrees apart. They show bringing in ac/shore power L1 to hot line on master inverter. L2 to neutral connection on slave unit. Then neutral line split to neutral on master and hot leg on slave. This just don't seem right to me. If this right sure save a lot of connections.

Edited by GlennWest

13 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Please supply a link to a single Victron inverter for split phase 240v. I have not found such. Every Muti or Quadro I researched only had two legs hot on shore power. When running on batteries, one hot leg only.

My mistake you are correct.  I was thinking about the input side for the single inverters and 240 volt.  To get 240 volt on the output side you need two inverters like I listed or an auto transformer.  You can however get 240 volts 60 hz with either method.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

19 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I also need 240 for my mini split.

Glenn, Thanks for answering my question above. Now that I know YOU DO NEED 240 I can narrow down your choices to these

1) Use two 120 VAC Inverters, one for L1 other for L2 that MUST BE 180 OUT OF PHASE WITH EACH OTHER to get 240 L1 to L2

2) Use a dry Transformer that has  true 120/240 Volt Single Phase Three wire output consisting of a 240 volt winding that has a center tap similar to how a utility transformer works. It would feed your regular RV 50 amp 120/240 Panelboard  

3) Use an Inverter having true 120/240 Volt Single Phase Three Wire output IE L1 & L2 are 180 out from each other so its 240 L1 to L2

4) As noted just above, use a 120 to 240 dry transformer for the Mini Split 

There may well be other methods I missed, but this is enough for now LOL   Now its YOUR money YOUR choice how to proceed

Let us know your decision

John T

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Glen, just buy a seperate 240 inverter to run just the mini split and the other 120 volt inverter to run the everything else. Much simpler that way.

You open up another problem with that. Ok, run seperate line for Cassette. This would be a much smaller wattage. Then a 120v inverter to my eletricsl panel. Also my cassette, which is my 240v,  wire at panel box goes upward, not downward. I reused the factory ac line. It was right there. Just attach to it and change breaker. Soo there's not enough slack to pull down to basement.

Edited by GlennWest

Researching last night on dual Victron inverters and came across Amsolar website article on this. They state dual Victron inverters have peoblems with shore power like this. The pass through doesn't work. If this so, I will just go back to Magnum units.

yes, we chatting on facebook. He uses the transformer for his 30 amp service when he has to and for his generator. PM Steve Dixion and he uses a relay to redirect 30 amp to a dc power supply feeding a PT-100 solar controller. 

Edited by GlennWest