Need Help for route in New Mexico

Grassy

We are presently in Bensen, Az.  Our next stop will be White Sands to jump to Carlsbad, Nm. 

Has anyone traveled from white sands to Carlsbad, Nm via the US-82 or US-180 ?

We have the latest trucker's Atlas. They both seem to be secondary roads.. the 82 looks like it has some *major*  hills.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks, Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

On 82 you'll have Cloudcroft Hill to go up.  Going up is the easy part. It's down that's the biggie. :)  You shouldn't have any problem. Park in Cloudcroft and explore a little - a neat little town.  You'll then have a long gradual downhill at 5-6%, not bad at all.  180 is ok.

I'd recommend you purchase the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It comes in both Western and Eastern versions. Very helpful for a heads up. 

Did you go to Kartchner Caverns while in Benson. It's a living cave as opposed to Carlsbad and the formations are dripping and growing? It's a beautiful tour. We gave it!  Are you staying at the SKP park?  I'm sure it's about full at this time of year.

Have a good trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks. We are actually here for repair.. there is a freightliner dealer in Tucson. 

We have done a bit of touring around but a bit nervous. We never know if the rig will start. Never a good situation. We have discovered that AAA ( Arizona) will not support the CAA package we bought.  The rig goes in Monday and we will see if a rental is necessary..if so,  Kartchner is on our list. 

Appreciate your response.

Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

I asked this very question a month ago.  But I was going Carlsbad to White Sands.  I took 82 with no issues.  Just obey the speed limit signs around the corners.  And with your medium duty truck you will be fine.  My Rams EB did fine.  Just check the road condition before you go.  There was snow in Cloudcroft, but the streets were plowed.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thanks all. We are dead in the water at the moment between "diagnosing my problem" and "fixing our buddies trucks first".  For a first come, first serve, we do not make appointments, my truck seems to be spending a lot of time in the parking lot.

No matter, have a rental car and haven't been kicked out of the RV park yet :)

Snow kind of add though.. we are in Bensen Az.

Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Keep in mind, your route through Cloudcroft takes you up to 8,600 ft elevation. Be prepared for serious winter conditions up there this time of year. Their highs this week were around 32F with lows around 0 F. So far this week they've only had snow flurries, but they are expecting a real snow storm Friday.

Jim

Archived