One night trip SD for hotel receipt (drivers license renewal)

AC7880

I am already a SD resident with a real ID act  SD drivers license.

I need to make a quick one night trip to ANY South Dakota Airport with a decent close by hotel in order to get the receipt no older than one year so I can renew on line. 

Flying from Huntsville AL on or about 2 April.  Any advice on which airport / hotel to use? Bonus if I can go to DMV while at the hotel, but not absolutely necessary.  Thanks for any leads.

Dan - SKP club member

3 minutes ago, pfhays said:

Have no experience, but there is a Sleep Inn behind the driver's license place on Russel Street in Sioux Falls.  About 3 miles from the airport.

I used this DMV a couple of years ago.  Went in when they opened in the morning and walked out about 20 minutes later.

Thanks!

Dan - SKP club member

Souix Falls and Rapid City are the two largest cities in SD. No personal knowledge regarding Souix Falls but the DMV in Rapid City is just a few miles from the airport and their are plenty of hotels in the area. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I use Rapid City. The airport is close to town. Lots of hotels. I stay at Americas Mailbox since they have rooms for rent for their members (in addition to their own campground). The local DMV office is just a few miles south and rarely busy if you go in the morning; and they're used to dealing with fulltimers. 

Edit, just a reminder, some of the SD DMV offices are closed on Mondays

Edited by JRP

Jim

2 hours ago, AC7880 said:

Thanks all for the replies. We re-did our schedules, and now plan to take the motorhome to SD the last week of April.  We had different plans, but adapted to get the renewals accomplished. 

It probably won't snow then but do make sure you have plenty of fuel for your furnace. Here in the Minneapolis area we have had snow that late in the year a few times. I hope all goes well for your trip.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have been in Rapid City the last week of April and many times in May. Although uncommon it does snow up intil the middle of May at times. There are many campgrounds to stay in in the area. America’s Mailbox has their own campground. I usually stay nearby in Custer State Park. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

One of our favorite getaway four day weekends, was to renew our DL's. We flew from San Diego to Denver, rented a car, drove to Cheyenne to spend the 1st evening. Next day we drove to near Spearfish and stayed in a cabin at the Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort. Got our receipt, and elected to take a drive over to get our DL's renewed in person, and drop in on Americas Mailbox to say hello to the gang. Third day we cruised around and visited our favorite places in the region. Fourth day up early and pedal to the medal run back to the Denver airport, for an evening flight back to San Diego. 

We found the cost to fly into Denver was so much less, it covered the costs of our hotels, so a wash. And we had a blast... This was late October 2018, and an early blizzard was hitting the region. The drive from Denver to Cheyenne was blanketed in snow, and we were lucky that the day we drove in, the semi's started rolling again as a whiteout, and iced I25, had cleared. 

What was really cool, is that when went to Budget to get our car, by pure luck the gent helping us was the Manager. We said we were from San Diego, and were apprehensive about driving in snow/ice conditions. Asked if he had any AWD vehicles we might be able to rent. He said give me a minute, went out and talked to one of his staff, and came back in. Said lets get you paper work done, I have a vehicle coming up now for you. We did the paper work, and he asked me if I wanted Sirius/XM activated in the car, said he could due if for the four day rental for $20 for us. I said sure (Did not know that that was a discount, should have been quite a bit more.). He said our car was out front, let me walk out and familiarize you with the vehicle. WOW!!! He'd upgraded us from a reserved Altima, to an Audi A8L with Quatro... My wife and I had more fun driving, flipping a coin at times to see who was going to drive, that car!!! It really made the trip effortless. And I admit on a stretch North of Cheyenne the next day, open long sweeping stretch of road where we could see for miles, I opened it up just a tad... 115MPH felt like 65MPH in our Honda:)! Poised, suspension auto set into sport mode. And even with an occasional spurt above posted speeds, we averaged a manually calculated 28MPG for the trip... 

Yep, the scenery was as always fantastic, but we both feel the A8 upgrade made this a unique trip experience for us:)! 

-----

One thing I need to confess, is I can't keep accurate count of the years as I should. Earlier that year, we drove thru Cheyenne in our RV, on the way to Fort Collins area and two month stay in Colorado, hitting various regions of the state. It would have been was to do a one or two day detour to South Dakota on that trip, and for out overnight receipt. But I thought it was next year that we needed to do our DL's renewals... I blew the math on the years:)! But, it made for a great experience for sure:)! 

Best to all, have fun, be safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 1 year later...

I am hoping the documents I found to send in with my renewal qualify for my first renewal since obtaining my first South Dakota license in person in 2016. When I got it I thought 2021, that's a long way away. Surprise yesterday when I looked and found that my license will expire in less than a month. 

I moved my forwarding service this past summer and had just received a bill from my LLC in Montana with my new address on it. That and the application for my new address in Emery were the documents sent verifying I have an established South Dakota Address. I know for the initial licensing you are required at least a one night stay, but I'm not sure if that's required since the pandemic. I do have plans to visit this summer, but a winter visit was not on my mind. I sort of missed the math too apparently. 

Wish me luck. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Like, pfhays, we also flew into Sioux Falls, got a free hotel transfer to the Sleep Inn, walked across the lot to DMV in the morning, out in a short bit, and took the free hotel shuttle back to airport. Easy and no need to rent a car. 

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Before Covid days, you could renew your divers liscense by mail if you own property in the State. If you had a PMB you had to renew in person. But I believe you could renew anytime within 6 months before or after expiration. Not sure about the rules now with Covid and extensions. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Before Covid days, you could renew your divers liscense by mail if you own property in the State. If you had a PMB you had to renew in person. But I believe you could renew anytime within 6 months before or after expiration. Not sure about the rules now with Covid and extensions. 

I have a PMD and they said that I could renew by mail if I could document I was in the state with in 6 months of the expiration date of my license. But I had to renew in person every other time.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Before Covid you could renew your SD license up to 6 months before its expiration date, but not a day after.  You could apply for a DL extension and they were readily given.  During Covid they closed their offices and all licenses were automatically extended to 12/31/2020. So far that date hasn't been extended, so everyone who expired in the last 6 months is currently trying to get renewed before 12/31/2020.  As a "fulltime traveler" SD does allow you to apply for a renewed DL by mail (every other renewal), but that still requires proof of a one night stay within the last year..  In addition to the standard renewal application, you must send them a signed Residency Affidavit and a receipt showing your name & address for the one night stay, and a document showing your SD mail PMB address. If you're over 65 you must also send a vision statement signed by your eye Doc in lieu of the in person vision test. 

Driver’s Licenses for Full Time Travelers | SD DPS  

PS: since re-opening their offices, they no longer accept walk ins. You must get a pre-scheduled appointment and those are taking several weeks to get. So don't go to SD until you have an official appointment, or you'll be sitting their several weeks waiting.

Edited by JRP

Jim

So it appears I need to give the office a call to be sure my documents are good and to arrange for an appointment if needed. Won't call today since many are closed on Mondays. Have sent an email to my PMB person to see if they have any insight. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

15 hours ago, rynosback said:

Way to resurrect an old thread.

I thought about starting a new thread, but then remembered when I was new and did that I was told to use the search function for ample information. Guess there is no winning with this. :) 

2007 Honda GL 1800

9 hours ago, JRP said:

Before Covid you could renew your SD license up to 6 months before its expiration date, but not a day after.  You could apply for a DL extension and they were readily given.  During Covid they closed their offices and all licenses were automatically extended to 12/31/2020. So far that date hasn't been extended, so everyone who expired in the last 6 months is currently trying to get renewed before 12/31/2020.  As a "fulltime traveler" SD does allow you to apply for a renewed DL by mail (every other renewal), but that still requires proof of a one night stay within the last year..  In addition to the standard renewal application, you must send them a signed Residency Affidavit and a receipt showing your name & address for the one night stay, and a document showing your SD mail PMB address. If you're over 65 you must also send a vision statement signed by your eye Doc in lieu of the in person vision test. 

Driver’s Licenses for Full Time Travelers | SD DPS  

PS: since re-opening their offices, they no longer accept walk ins. You must get a pre-scheduled appointment and those are taking several weeks to get. So don't go to SD until you have an official appointment, or you'll be sitting their several weeks waiting.

Thank YOU for posting the info and link.  Been a while since I'd looked at the DL info available on the SD website - now I can make a plan of action.  

5 hours ago, lappir said:

I thought about starting a new thread, but then remembered when I was new and did that I was told to use the search function for ample information. Guess there is no winning with this. :) 

With some folks that is true, but most of us really don't care. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, rynosback said:

I have a PMD and they said that I could renew by mail if I could document I was in the state with in 6 months of the expiration date of my license. But I had to renew in person every other time.

Yes. That was because you were physically in the State within 6 months of you DL expiration date. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

On 2/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, JRP said:

I use Rapid City. The airport is close to town. Lots of hotels. I stay at Americas Mailbox since they have rooms for rent for their members (in addition to their own campground). The local DMV office is just a few miles south and rarely busy if you go in the morning; and they're used to dealing with fulltimers. 

Edit, just a reminder, some of the SD DMV offices are closed on Mondays

Been at both.  For me, the DMV had about 5 "clients".  IIRC, I just went in the afternoon.

At the time, I did not have a SD DL, and thought I might have to take a written, or a driving test.  Nope.

Gave them my current (out-of-state) DL, the clerk noticed at one time previously I had a CDL.  Wanted to know if I wanted another - which I did not.  Told me to take a seat.  I figured I would be called for the test, or whatever.  About 10 minutes later, he called my name - handed me my new (laminated) SD license.

Think it was good for 5 years & I did receive an extension (1 yr?) without returning.

Entire process was quick, easy & a genuine pleasure !!

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Gave them my current (out-of-state) DL, the clerk noticed at one time previously I had a CDL.  Wanted to know if I wanted another - which I did not.  Told me to take a seat.  I figured I would be called for the test, or whatever.  About 10 minutes later, he called my name - handed me my new (laminated) SD license.

Think it was good for 5 years & I did receive an extension (1 yr?) without returning.

Entire process was quick, easy & a genuine pleasure !!

That was the same as we experienced in Sioux Falls . Only I have a cycle endorsement , which I kept , instead of a CDL . 

But , they were a bit busier than 5 people . No matter , as the whole thing took about twenty minutes , for both DW and myself , from the time we walked in the door .  

Goes around , comes around .