Canadians buying/registering RV in the states

bk_

Hello!

I'm a Canadian resident with no permanent address in the states.  The tax and insurance in my province of Ontario is brutal and used vehicles/rvs get beat up by winter/salt.  I'd rather buy an RV in the states, register and insure it there to get something in better condition and save on taxes.  I have no intention of bringing of driving it around in Canada though I may bring it back to Canada to sell it.

Is it legally possible to register and insure a vehicle as a foreigner and non-resident?

The journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step.

It must be I live in Vermont and we have lots of Canadians whith second homes who have vehicles registered here. The park in Texas where my parents winter has several Canadians who keep vehicles thete year round and fly in. They go home every so often to keep insurance. Also there have been several posts of people from England and Australia buying rvs in the states for extended travel. Call the dmv in what ever state you wish to register in. Perhaps a Montana LLC would work for you.

If you join the Escapees RV Club you can then get a Texas address from them and register the RV to that address. It works for friends of ours from Australia, UK, and New Zeeland so it should work for a Canadian too. Not so sure what might happen if you cross the border home with it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A friend of ours buys an RV just about every winter here in Yuma, AZ. He lives in SK. and must "import it" into Canada if it has a title in the states. He knows all the ins and outs of doing it. He knows that you must have all the paper work and ducks in a row when entering Canada.

About importing an RV into Canada.  Be sure to check the Canadian requirements for importing an RV.  Canada has different rules and regulation about things which MUST be in or on an RV in Canada.  I don't know what they are, but at least for new RV's mfg in USA and imported into Canada the Mfg has to provide some things which they don't need to in the USA. 

I could be you have to modify the used RV to import it to Canada. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 2/8/2019 at 7:37 PM, bobsallyh said:

A friend of ours buys an RV just about every winter here in Yuma, AZ. He lives in SK. and must "import it" into Canada if it has a title in the states. He knows all the ins and outs of doing it. He knows that you must have all the paper work and ducks in a row when entering Canada.

Does your friend have an account on this forum so I could contact him?

Also I've heard conflicting information, such as federal law requiring vehicles to be registered in the state of permanent residence.  So for a Canadian I'd still have to register/insure my vehicle with my home province of Ontario and eat the insane 13% book value tax + fees. 

So is it true that the snow birds that I'm hearing about registering/insuring a vehicle in another state are doing it through some kind of loophole?

The journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step.

42 minutes ago, bk_ said:

So is it true that the snow birds that I'm hearing about registering/insuring a vehicle in another state are doing it through some kind of loophole?

My best guess is that they leave the RV in the state where it is registered, which would comply with US law. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It is State law that requires a vehicle to be registured and every State has different laws. Federal law only has jurisdiction over the roads due to Federal funding to the State. Registration is a State issue. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived