Info on cleaning toilet ball valve

Bill w/bus

Sealand toilet water seal slowly drops through closed valve. Cause appears to hard water deposits at leading edge of valve at each side. V shaped about 1/2 inch along the edge of the valve. Visible when valve is about half way open.I am hesitant to scrap with metal fearing  ball damage and subsequent loss of seal.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill w/bus said:

I am hesitant to scrap with metal fearing  ball damage and subsequent loss of seal.

I wouldn't do that. I have always found that a good, stiff nylon toilet brush and RV toilet cleaner does the job. You can also use a silicone grease to lube and seal things. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I use this in my Rv repair business.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwid56bwoq3gAhWNwmQKHXS0AkIYABAIGgJwag&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RofQExxp4-kxFkEpLt6zeaetQ&sig=AOD64_1h97Cd2h9CeX36279Q-mm2MT48Qw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjo6qHwoq3gAhXAHTQIHb_9Cb8Qwg96BAgIEBM&adurl=

I normally tell them about it or if I have some on the service vehicle, I give it to them

. Just fill the bowl with water, pour a tablespoon or less in and let site. I have let ours get really bad for a test. It took 12 applications, but never taken it apart in 7 years.

If you scrape it do not call me to fix it.

Vern 

Just go buy a bottle of Lime-Away . 

Put a couple inches of water in the bowl and a good healthy shot of Lime-Away . Don't be afraid to apply too much . 

Let it sit . No scrubbing required .

Our toilet seal is original . It's been doing it's job for almost 19 years . 

I simply repeat as needed . 

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, dewilso said:

I pour in some vinegar & let it sit awhile, then continue to use it periodically as a preventative measure.

X2-white generic brand.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

2 hours ago, dewilso said:

I pour in some vinegar

I should have mentioned that one, but forgot about it. Pam is the one who usually takes care of that part...........  She also said that you want to use white vinegar, whatever that is. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, dewilso said:

I pour in some vinegar & let it sit awhile, then continue to use it periodically as a preventative measure.

Same here. 

I just had this problem for the first time.  Poured some vinegar in the bowl and let it set for an hour or more then used a toilet brush to clean the opening as described by Randyretired.  In my case, I had to do it a couple of times, but the bowl is now holding water.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, Bill w/bus said:

We did invest in a water softener fon the investmenur years ago. If it extends the life of the hot water  heater by a few year then the investment would be worthy.  

Bill

Hmm ,  maybe if the tank were never drained and cleaned as it should be .

I replaced the original heating element a few years ago . The original gave about 15 years of service . The new element cost about 8 dollars . If the new element last even half as long as the original , it would take way more than 50 years to come close to breaking even on the softener cost . 

Of course , by then the tank interior might be so caked that it might be time for its replacement . But , I'll leave that task to some young RV restorer a lifetime or two down the road . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 9 months later...

I was tired of the smell of a weekend of drinking and grilling out rising from the underbelly of our recreational vehicle. Then I bought the Camco ultra give my RV a proper toilet treatment.

https://rvingreviews.com/plumbing/rv-toilet-chemicals-holding-tank-treatment/

I was wishing it will be a good toilet treatment, nothing more I was expecting. Surprisingly, it worked well. It made my RV smell like a Florida citrus orchard while masking the smell coming from the dungeon below.

6 hours ago, frankgibbons said:

I was tired of the smell of a weekend of drinking and grilling out rising from the underbelly of our recreational vehicle. Then I bought the Camco ultra give my RV a proper toilet treatment.

https://rvingreviews.com/plumbing/rv-toilet-chemicals-holding-tank-treatment/

I was wishing it will be a good toilet treatment, nothing more I was expecting. Surprisingly, it worked well. It made my RV smell like a Florida citrus orchard while masking the smell coming from the dungeon below.

If you are having smells in your rig, your toilet bowl seal isn't holding well.  Pour some vinegar in and let it set.  A good seal hold water in the bowl and no smell.   All you need is to use plenty of water in your system.  We've been out since 2006, just water (plus some vinegar in the bowl and baking soda to clean the toilet) is all we use.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 2/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, 57becky said:

This thread sounds like an advertisement for RV water softeners 😁

I agree completely.  Not to mention that his shower head, faucets, toilet, not just the flap but the water ports and even the drainage system will last longer as it will not get the build up that hard water gives. And your skin will thank you as a bonus.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 11/14/2019 at 5:04 AM, Barbaraok said:

If you are having smells in your rig, your toilet bowl seal isn't holding well.  Pour some vinegar in and let it set.  A good seal hold water in the bowl and no smell.   All you need is to use plenty of water in your system.  We've been out since 2006, just water (plus some vinegar in the bowl and baking soda to clean the toilet) is all we use.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try the vinegar and baking soda and plenty of water to clean the toilet. Let's see what happens.