Directv Standard Def going bye bye

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I use one of those "$35 cheap things" that I modified with leveling feet and no tools needed adjustments. Setting up and aiming our Dish 1000.4 triple LNB dish rarely takes more than 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

They do work, but the surveyor types are, imho, easier, especially if you tear down and set up frequently.

3 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

They do work, but the surveyor types are, imho, easier, especially if you tear down and set up frequently.

I tear down and set up as often as daily. Loosen a hand wheel and fold it up. How much simpler does it get? 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

42 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I tear down and set up as often as daily. Loosen a hand wheel and fold it up. How much simpler does it get? 

When I used one I found it difficult to plumb the mast, mount/support the larger heavier dish (the more expensive tripod has a nice mounting platform and easier to level with telescoping legs) , keep it secure where I placed it, and keep it secure in wind.

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

When I used one I found it difficult to plumb the mast, mount/support the larger heavier dish (the more expensive tripod has a nice mounting platform and easier to level with telescoping legs) , keep it secure where I placed it, and keep it secure in wind.

I added 8" adjustable leveling feet that makes it simple to level with a common bubble level. It holds our ~20 pound Dish 1000.4 triple LNB dish nicely by just slipping the mount on the mast and tightening two large thumb nuts. A 5 gallon bucket half full of water has kept the dish on target in ~60 mph wind gusts. My total tripod investment 5 years ago was about $45 and about 30-45 minutes of my time doing the mods. I don't doubt that you may be able to level a bit faster than I can, but I do doubt that you can mount your dish any faster. I also modified my complete dish assembly for no tools needed assembly and aiming adjustments. My point is that it's not necessary to spend $135 on a tripod for a possible slight gain in setup time.The photos below show the complete setup and the no tools needed mods that make for an even faster setup.

71wP5wil.jpg

QH7hDaul.jpg

Dutch

I used the TV4RV.com HD tripod which is a modifies surveyor tripod.  The adjustable length legs made it real easy to get a vertical plumb mast.  I used to 5 gallon buckets about half full of water as ballast.  For travel, the empty buckets had no weight and could carry stuff.  Never had to worry about spiking a power line or a water pipe.  Never had a blow over in up to 75 mph winds.

Proper tools make the alignment only a few minute proposition.  I put the dish up nightly for 7 years.  For 5 years, I also had a Hughesnet Dish to put up.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Just now, hemsteadc said:

Nice job.  The money is inconsequential to me.

The money wasn't the point with me. I just felt the surveyors tripods were both over priced and over kill for the task. If I had the larger Hughes Internet dish, that would be a different story...

Dutch

13 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Any chance that you could show a close-up of your leveling feet mod?

Thanks.

It took a little digging in my photo archive, but here you go. The adjusting screws are 10" carriage bolts, and the threaded barrels are normally used for adding leveling feet to wood or metal cabinets, tables, etc. The stock tripod feet swivel for roof mounting, so I pop riveted them in place. All of the added hardware came from a local True Value hardware store.

Sj3zu5Sl.jpg

Dutch

15 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

It took a little digging in my photo archive, but here you go. The adjusting screws are 10" carriage bolts, and the threaded barrels are normally used for adding leveling feet to wood or metal cabinets, tables, etc. The stock tripod feet swivel for roof mounting, so I pop riveted them in place. All of the added hardware came from a local True Value hardware store.

Thanks!  I'm getting ready to make the switch from SD to HD  so I may want to make a similar modification. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

14 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Thanks!  I'm getting ready to make the switch from SD to HD  so I may want to make a similar modification. 

Go for it! Once I had the setup in my head, putting it together was easy... :)

Dutch

18 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Never had a blow over in up to 75 mph winds.

Wow.  I don't think mine is quite *that* sturdy!  If wind really kicks up, especially overnight, I'll take the dish down so I can sleep.  Real easy to put it back up on the tripod platform.

I've found that even the slightest dent in a Slimline dish can affect its performance.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of Directv HD equipment is recommended for a dual LNB dish and three tv setup?  Thanks for replies

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

To return to the original purpose of this thread, this document from King confirms and updates the information about the impending changes to DirecTV that had been previously posted.  It does appear that the timetable for the changeover has been significantly delayed, but that's no surprise.  

The key thing is that exactly as has been previously reported the 101 satellite will be broadcasting major national channels in HD using its Ku band capability.  Most existing domes and dishes will become capable of receiving HD.  https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Ku-Antenna_KING_03.2019.pdf

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived