Gap to outside underneath carpet

TherapyBound

We recently attended the big Tampa RV Super Show and looked fairly seriously at several Class A gas motorhomes from various manufacturers. During that process, we noticed someone had pried the carpet loose in the kitchen area  on one rig (a small carpeted strip along the kitchen side of the slide-out). When I peeked under it to see if the carpet could be removed altogether and replaced with flooring, I noticed there was about a 2 inch (maybe 1 1/2 inch) gap that led directly to the outside. I could feel it underfoot when I walked along that area after I saw it.

This was on a Holiday Rambler Adventurer, which ultimately didn't make it to our short list, but it got me wondering: was this a design flaw, or is it standard for there to be a big opening like that when the slide is out? Seems to me it's an invitation for rodents, etc, to find a way in.

Might increase the air conditioning and heating costs, as well as the potential for kitchen plumbing freezing in cold weather.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I tend to believe that was unusual and may have even been a manufacturing flaw unique to that specific unit or perhaps model. Quality control is very lacking in the RV industry, mostly because the majority of buyers shop more based on price than on quality. It is difficult for me to believe that what you found would be designed intentionally.

4 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

Has anyone seen such a thing?

No.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A small carpeted strip on the edge of a slide probably exists to cover the gap/joint that is present when the slide is deployed. For that reason you are pretty much stuck with at least a little carpet on "flush floor" slides. 

On most slides if you pull that bit of carpet back you'll see the joint, but when the slide is all of the way out it should be pretty tight and not at all open to the outside.  I wonder if the slide on the unit in question had not been fully extended because of space issues or ??

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

My big concern would be CO2 when running the gen with the slide open.

2014 Chevy Express 3500
2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH

Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger 

Archived