Best Cell Booster

MNRon

I was looking hard at MaximumSignal a couple years ago, and probably would have purchased one if it didn’t take so long to get it rolled out.  Since then I’ve delayed and not gotten near pulling the trigger until now.  

When I search I don’t find much support for Maximum Signal other than the manufacturer and a couple supporters on the Escapees thread, and most seem to put weBoost Drive 4G-X RV at the top of the list. 

Any recommendations or support for something you’ve used? We use State Parks a lot and have varied results with connectivity  

Thanks 

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS

I hate to say it, but I had a MaximumSignal amplifier and finally gave up fooling with it.   When it worked, it worked well, but it was very sensitive to feedback and going into oscillation no matter how I tried positioning the antennas.  

After I thought about it for a while I realized that I really had no need for an "amplified space" in my MH.  Most of the time I use the booster just to amplify the cellular signal going to my Jetpack.  If that's all you're doing, then you can do something simple (and cheap) like putting the Jetpack on the cradle of a WeBoost Sleek.  If the Jetpack is on the cradle then you can access it from anywhere in your RV; no need for a "zone of amplification."

This summer we used the Sleek in some areas with pretty weak Verizon signals.  Although it doesn't have as much gain as its more expensive siblings, the Sleek worked well for us at half the price of the larger WeBoost systems. The one time I needed amplification to make a voice call, I just placed the phone on the Sleek (on top of the Jetpack) and used the phone in speakerphone mode for the call.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have been using a Max Amp Mobile Truck and Trailer Package since about 08/2017, or soon after we lost our pre- Harvey house.  Works extremely well when traveling or stationary.

The first reason we went with MaximumSignal is our primary internet is Mobley and my Cat 60 phone are AT&T, our backup internet is Version, and my wife’s phone is Sprint. So far, the MaximumSignal has handled all three carriers.

The second reason is our home 20 is in a very remote area of deep east Texas no INSP and we don’t watch enough television justify the cost of HughesNet.  The portability of the Mobile Truck and Trailer Package allows us to move the actual amplifier and trailer side of both outside external antenna and inside omni direction antenna from the trailer to our post Harvey house.

The third reason is the excellent customer service we received form Gord.  We did have some feedback problems with the trailer side of the initial install and our home 20 and Gord worked with us tirelessly to resolve the problem.  

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

Howdy!

We have been using the Maximum Signal for about three years. Worked great when we got the bugs worked out with the help from the owner Gord. But these days it’s doesn’t seem to be working now. We are now using the WeBoost Sleek to boost our MiFi. If I was buying today I would purchase the WeBoost RV 65 system as it has the ability to reach out for a better signal in those area where you have the lease signal. 

https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-rv-65

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I've the Maximum Signal Unit. And when needed, it has supported us well in extreme fringe coverage areas. 

We also have a WeBoost Sleek, and sometimes find it can seem to help us a bit better in not such fringe coverage areas. 

But most of the time over the last two-three years of travel, our number one help has been from a roof top Mobile Mark MIMO antenna, feeding either our ATT or Verizon MiFi's. 

If you are using a phone for data, vs a MiFi, the MIMO antenna will not be of much aid. If you have both a MiFi, and want to maximize phone signal for other reasons. I could see the Sleek and MIMO antenna being a good combination. (And the Sleek can double as a toaster for you, as our unit sure gets hot. If you go that route, be sure to put some insulation/protection between your device and the Sleek cradle.). 

Another good thing about the lower costs of the Sleek, with reasonable boosting of signal in less then fringe location - is you might find it will bridge you to the land of 5G ahead. New amps, 5G capable, will becoming out more and more frequently. The Sleek - could cover you needs well enough until those units are available.

And note, the sleek is easy enough to move to the Toad, truck if towing - to enhance signal while out and about. (We have an older version of then Wilson Sleek, we keep in our Toad to have in case we need it:)!). 

And yes to Gord being responsive and supportive in initial setup of their equipment:)!

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We are currently using the WeBoost Drive 4G-X and it has worked well for us. The phone/broadband device must be quite close to the inside antenna, but it gets us usable signal in areas where otherwise there is none. For instance, we are in the lower campground at Davis Mountains State Park in West Texas right now, a notorious "no cellular" area. We are getting usable broadband and voice service, but only with the amplifier. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I am disabled and can not get on the roof of my RV. Called WeBoost today and was told that the outside antenna goes on the roof and should be extended after parking and retracted before driving off. It can only be extended and retracted by hand. It would be nice if it could be done with a remote. Are there any cell phone boosters that are remote or do not need the exterior antenna mounted on the roof?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I am disabled and can not get on the roof of my RV. Called WeBoost today and was told that the outside antenna goes on the roof and should be extended after parking and retracted before driving off. It can only be extended and retracted by hand. It would be nice if it could be done with a remote. Are there any cell phone boosters that are remote or do not need the exterior antenna mounted on the roof?

Attach the antenna to a TV antenna mount.  I replaced my existing TV antenna with a cell antenna, since obviously, TV is useless these days.  So it raises the same way the TV antenna did, from inside the rig.

The magnetic roof antenna for our Maximum Signal Max Amp stays in place just fine when traveling. I ran the coax down through the fridge vent and then through cabinets to the transciever location. The Max Amp has routinely brought us usable LTE cell signals in locations where other folks are getting little or no signals.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 2/11/2019 at 5:44 PM, mptjelgin said:

We are currently using the WeBoost Drive 4G-X and it has worked well for us. The phone/broadband device must be quite close to the inside antenna, but it gets us usable signal in areas where otherwise there is none. For instance, we are in the lower campground at Davis Mountains State Park in West Texas right now, a notorious "no cellular" area. We are getting usable broadband and voice service, but only with the amplifier. 

Howdy!

We are using Maximum Signal now but considering switching to a WeBoost. Could you explain what you meam by “the phone/broadband device must be quite close to the inside antenna”? With the Maximum Signal when it works boosted the signal within our 44’ Toy Hauler and even some signal out side. I would just like to know the restraints of how close you need to been to the WeBoost for usable quality.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

46 minutes ago, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

We are using Maximum Signal now but considering switching to a WeBoost. Could you explain what you meam by “the phone/broadband device must be quite close to the inside antenna”? With the Maximum Signal when it works boosted the signal within our 44’ Toy Hauler and even some signal out side. I would just like to know the restraints of how close you need to been to the WeBoost for usable quality.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

I haven't conducted any scientific tests, but the answer seems to be "quite close".  We are using the "Hershey bar" inside antenna that came with the amp, and I find that having the phone/broadband device within several inches of the antenna is optimal. I have noticed "some" boost at a distance of a few feet but closer is better, for sure.

It hasn't been an inconvenience as I usually use a headset with the phone and the broadband router lives right next to the amp anyways. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Just had my Maximum Signal fail.  The red light won't go off regardless how far my antennas are separated.  I went online and contacted them through the web site and called twice hoping to resolve the problem.  No luck, no response.  And the system is less than one year old.  

I guess I could go with the WeBoost but one of the things I liked about the MaxSignal was the range of the inside antenna.

3 hours ago, pfhays said:

I guess I could go with the WeBoost but one of the things I liked about the MaxSignal was the range of the inside antenna.

I'm curious as to why this even matters?  Aren't most people just using the device to amplify the signal from a Jetpack or other hotspot device?  In that case why can't you place the hotspot as close as possible to the indoor antenna?  We hardly seem to make any voice calls anymore.  We communicate with our kids and friend via text or online.  Actually speak on a phone?  How 20th century!

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

18 hours ago, docj said:

I'm curious as to why this even matters?  Aren't most people just using the device to amplify the signal from a Jetpack or other hotspot device?  In that case why can't you place the hotspot as close as possible to the indoor antenna?  We hardly seem to make any voice calls anymore.  We communicate with our kids and friend via text or online.  Actually speak on a phone?  How 20th century!

Howdy!

I do use it to boost my MiFi devices but also use it to boost our cellular phone to make and receive calls. That why I like the Maximum Signal. My antenna inside my 44’ toy hauler is located in the sealing in the living room mid RV. When the Maximum Signal works it boost the Signal throughout the RV.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

4 hours ago, chiefneon said:

When the Maximum Signal works it boost the Signal throughout the RV.

That seemed to be the key issue with mine--when it worked; most of the time the red light indicating overload and  feedback was on.  Not worth the trouble IMO.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Gord for me... Separation resolves any red light issues. Vertically counts too, and resolves any out of perfect alignment of the two antenna. While mobile, I will lower the inside antenna to get best boost. When stationary, I switch to a marine antenna on a flag pole, which resolves separation, and improves range to tower.

The booster does adjust power to try to keep working when separation is iffy, so when in fair signal areas (less boost needed), separation is not a big deal. When max boost is needed, max separation is needed too.

I proved this by accident. When in a very marginal area, we had no connection until we accidentally knocked the interior antenna off the velcro. Viola, we had signal (when no one else did, including next to me with a different brand). When we got home, I discussed this with Good, and we agreed the increased separation allowed more boost power than my normal setup did. Since I did not want a sheet of metal for a ground plane up a flag pole, nor a yagi, the Marine antenna was the solution.

Note, for me, I value connection, where others give ratings on speed tests (which are tough to compare). I need connection to generate income, as do the storm chasers who say Gord's system beats all too.  When only one brand can get connection, it wins over no connection.

For me, it is only a few times a year I need the boost, but I could not stay at those places without it. I could get a sat setup, but the cost is not reasonable for my needs.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:47 PM, docj said:

Docj, not sure which one you are using.  When you do a search for "sleek" cell phone booster you get a ton of stuff.  We are in our winter spot in SW Florida and for some reason this year our Verizon signal stays between 1 and 2 bars.  Our MiFi works okay but now I'm considering boosting it as we leave Florida and begin our 2019 travels.

Can you post a link of what you have?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I have a ~20' spread between the Max Amp inside and outside antennas, and don't have any "red light" issues with one exception. There's a brief section of I-88 in NY's Southern Tier where the amp goes red consistently when we pass through. In less than a mile, I can power cycle the amp and all is well again. In discussing it with Gord early on, we suspect there's interference from nearby microwave towers causing the issue, since there are a number of them in view including one tower with six MW antennas on it. I have a dash switch that controls the power to the amp, so it's a simple matter to reset it on the fly when the problem occurs.

We're currently at a FL state park about half way between Palatka and Salt Springs, and just yesterday a neighbor was complaining to me about the lack of cell service here. He has a Verizon phone, and drives out to the main road to get usable service. With our Max Amp turned on, we're getting 3-5 Mbps down on our Verizon Jetpack, and 15-20 Mbps down on our AT&T hotspot. We've been streaming regularly with the AT&T hotspot with minimal buffering, and our Verizon phones have also been working ok with no dropped calls.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have an old system from Wilson that just does 800/1900, so it will need to be replaced.  But it has done a great job.  Both separation and direction matter.  The internal antenna is large, and covers about 180 degrees.  The external antenna is a Wilson "trucker" with its own ground plane.  That is attached to a small piece of EMT (electrical conduit), which I can strap to the top of the ladder, OR put it on another piece of EMT to get it really high.  EMT is cheap and easy to deal with, and there are connectors to quickly attach two pieces by hand.  The radio unit has manual power adjustments to fine tune it for the area.  We move the inside antenna around as needed.  Sometimes pointed out into camp when we're outdoors, or pointed inside when needed.  Never pointed towards the outside antenna.

This has worked exceptionally well.  Unfortunately those frequencies aren't always the best choice or even available, so we'll need to buy a new system.  Also we're selling the motorhome and have a new TT to outfit.  But the high EMT mount will probably be my method again.