Big Bend National Park no-reservtions

MilesAndSmiles

My wife and I are headed toward Big Bend National Park next week, and all of the reservable sites are taken at the Rio Grande Village campground. However, the majority of campsites in the park are not reservable. 

Has anyone tried to get one of the non-reservable sites in the park around this time of year? How good are our chances of finding a site? Any tips on when to arrive to have the best chance?

We are willing to take a risk... but would like to know how good or bad the odds are before heading so far!

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

In early Feb, plan on arriving by 9-10 and you should have a very good chance of getting a site in RGV (Rio Grande Village) National Park campground.  If you have to be in the generator section your chances are somewhat reduced.  You are around 37 feet or longer, so not all sites will handle your rig.  

The first week in March it gets busier and the 2nd & 3rd week in March is Spring Break and the park is over run with people.  Impossible to get a campsite unless you are driving through by 7am and continually drive though looking for someone leaving. 

I suggest you drop your RV in the parking lot by the store/gas station at RGV and take your toad into the campground and look for a campsite.  Don't be afraid to look for people packing up and asking if they are leaving.  Be polite and say "No rush, we just want to take the site when you have left. If they are leaving ask if it would be OK for you to fill out the registration/pay envelope and put your receipt on the post.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I agree with Al F ^^^^^. Stay as close to the park as you can the previous night & get up early to arrive in the park early. Folks leave by 10am.  We've been there multiple times before they even had reservations and got a site for our 40' MH.  We stayed at Rio Grande campground (not the RV park) and also at Cottonwood (no generators allowed).  Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived