California HWY 120

jhayes

Depends on what time of the year. Tioga pass is normally closed until mid May. That being said I have pulled our 40" fifth wheel over the pass. Slow, but can be done. One other thing Tioga pass is the highest pass over the Sierra Nevada's, 9943 ft. hope this helps.

VisitedStatesMap.gif.d04cfb2dbf883da9dacf9fb5f04520f6.gif

2917 Keystone Montana 3720 Legacy

14' Ram 3500 DRW 

I once rode my Harley on Hwy 120 thru Yosemite on the 4th of July. The road was clear but there were 12 foot high banks of snow along both shoulders. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You're looking at 5 miles of steep downgrade (3200 ft. elevation change) from the summit to the bottom of the pass.  Is it doable?  Yes, if the road is open.  Would I recommend it?  Not unless you're an experienced mountain driver with a strong exhaust brake and don't mind crawling down it in first gear.

18 hours ago, jhayes said:

Is Ca. 120 across Yosemite Park, west to east suitable for a large motorhome with a toad? 

NO

People  do it, but it isn't "suitable".   Why not pick better passes designed for larger vehicles?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Eastbound you'll have 6, 7, & 8% grades downhill to Hwy 395.  Taking a big RV into Yosemite isn't recommended. You have extremely high traffic and people, people, people. You'll have tunnels, narrow, curvy roads. No place to easily park a big rig even to stop for lunch.  I'd recommend you stay outside the park and do day trips.  It's the least favorite national park of ours but you need to see it at least once.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks guys!! Yea, I am a very experienced mountain driver, but think I will take an alternate route as I would be crossing about mid-May. There may still be be some ice and snow up there. I don't believe in taking chances.

Jerry

SKP 27953
Country Coach Motorhome with 400HP Kitty Cat
"Running the roads seeing God's Great Creation"

avoid hwys 4, 108, and 120. these passes close at the first snow, then do not open till the spring thaw.

use to the south hwy 58, to the north 88, or 50. these three are "open" year around.

cal trans can not enforce a ban on rv's and trailers. only the (self censored) in sacramento can make that law.

all three of these hwys are tight cornered, hair-pined, very steep grades. narrow pavement. and through Yosemite there is a tax.. er a fee. sometimes a multi hr wait to get in. heavy traffic in the park. and the feds do have a complete ban on all commercial trucking through this park.

Archived