Quarters

SWharton

We are currently in AZ and stopped at a bank to get some quarters. I don't know how prevalent this is but the bank refused to change our $20 in quarters since we did not have an account with the bank. I don't know if this is only AZ or nationwide. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had this happen at a big CU in AZ years ago but thought it was the CU(did not have a good reputation), but a bank!!!!

It was explained to us that BOA in AZ(need to have this qualified) will no longer exchange currency if you do not have an account. Period. May have been a law change, not sure. Usually reasons: drug traffic, sex traffic etc. etc. 

We are going to stock up on quarters for now. 

I wonder if we go into a bank and make a withdrawal from our VISA card at the teller if we could get quarters then?? We will need to try that next time we need cash rather than go to an ATM.

Many if not most banks will require  you have a account with them to do anything.IMO it is a ploy to get you to have  a account with them. We chose a bank that is nation wide so as to attempt top avoid that problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

X2 on Walmart or any cash back place you find yourself in.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

We are currently in AZ and stopped at a bank to get some quarters. I don't know how prevalent this is but the bank refused to change our $20 in quarters since we did not have an account with the bank. I don't know if this is only AZ or nationwide. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had this happen at a big CU in AZ years ago but thought it was the CU(did not have a good reputation), but a bank!!!!

Yes, it appears to be a frequent issue.  No account, no form of service.  I always carry two rolls of quarters for laundromats when we travel.  Gotta be self sufficient when travelling!

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Usually reasons: drug traffic, sex traffic etc. etc. 

For quarters???   🤣

I think that banks have gotten a bit stuffy on such things of late but I would be a small town bank would still do it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I went to a Bank Wednesday and used their ATM to get $60 in cash, which was dispensed as 3 $20 bills. I needed $10s so I drove to a driveup and asked the teller if she would turn the 20s into 10s. She asked if I had an account with them, which I didn't, so she politely refused. This after they charged me $3.50 to use the ATM. (Regions Bank in Alabama) My Broker does refund the ATM fee! 

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

56 minutes ago, MidMOTraveler said:

We went to a car wash and used the coin machine. $40 cash in 160 quarters out! 

Last time I did that I ended up with $20 worth of car wash tokens.  ☺️

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

11 hours ago, SWharton said:

I wonder if we go into a bank and make a withdrawal from our VISA card at the teller if we could get quarters then??

When we tried to use our card to get cash from a teller they sent us back out to the cash machine.

We bought our quarters from Walmart.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

14 hours ago, SWharton said:

The only reason we were there was to use their notary service and thought about quarters.

So they let you use the notary which I'm sure you PAID for their service maybe you should have asked that person about getting quarters. I am thinking at that point you were a customer. Just thinking out loud.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Grocery stores are an easy place to get change. 

Banks are just crazy now.  I helped a friend sell some property here while he was on the road.  And he needed the cash deposited to use for something else, so I went to his bank to deposit it (BofA).  NOPE!  They would not accept cash from me, only him.  Had to go home and get a check (who carries checks any more?), deposit that for him, and then deposit his cash at my bank.

I'm already cashless, except for those in-person sales.  There is still no reasonable choice other than Venmo, and "nobody" uses that (or nobody over about 23 years old I think).  I hate cash so much I once went two months without a single dollar in my wallet.  I pretty much pay for everything and log into the ATM using my Apple Watch.

Archived