Your digital identity has three layers, and you can only protect one of them

RV_

"Your online profile is less a reflection of you than a caricature.

Whether you like it or not, commercial and public actors tend to trust the string of 1s and 0s that represent you more than the story you tell them. When filing a credit application at a bank or being recruited for a job, your social network, credit-card history, and postal address can be viewed as immutable facts more credible than your opinion.

But your online profile is not always built on facts. It is shaped by technology companies and advertisers who make key decisions based on their interpretation of seemingly benign data points: what movies you choose to watch, the time of day you tweet, or how long you take to click on a cat video.

Many decisions that affect your life are now dictated by the interpretation of your data profile rather than personal interactions. And it’s not just about advertising banners influencing the brand of the soap you buy—the same mechanics of profiling users and targeting messages apply to political campaigns and visa applications as much as supermarket metrics. When advertising looks like news and news look like entertainment, all types of content are profiled on the basis of your data.

So what story does your data tell about you?"

The full article is here: https://qz.com/1525661/your-digital-identity-has-three-layers-and-you-can-only-protect-one-of-them/?utm_medium=10today.ad1.20190129.421.1&utm_source=email&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=10-for-today---4.0-styling

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That is somewhat shocking and troubling to me, even though it is beyond my control. Thanks for posting it Derek.

I do try to use privacy features, like using duck duck go search engine, add blockers, tracker blockers, location blockers, etc.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

YW! Read this one that just came in:

Ransomware warning: A global attack could cause $200bn in damage - and we're just not ready

WannaCry and NotPetya just scratched the surface of the damage ransomware could do. This gloomy scenario looks at what could really go wrong.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ransomware-warning-a-global-attack-could-cause-200bn-in-damage-and-were-just-not-ready/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

"Your online profile is less a reflection of you than a caricature.

Whether you like it or not, commercial and public actors tend to trust the string of 1s and 0s that represent you more than the story you tell them. When filing a credit application at a bank or being recruited for a job, your social network, credit-card history, and postal address can be viewed as immutable facts more credible than your opinion.

But your online profile is not always built on facts. It is shaped by technology companies and advertisers who make key decisions based on their interpretation of seemingly benign data points: what movies you choose to watch, the time of day you tweet, or how long you take to click on a cat video.

Many decisions that affect your life are now dictated by the interpretation of your data profile rather than personal interactions. And it’s not just about advertising banners influencing the brand of the soap you buy—the same mechanics of profiling users and targeting messages apply to political campaigns and visa applications as much as supermarket metrics. When advertising looks like news and news look like entertainment, all types of content are profiled on the basis of your data.

So what story does your data tell about you?"

The full article is here: https://qz.com/1525661/your-digital-identity-has-three-layers-and-you-can-only-protect-one-of-them/?utm_medium=10today.ad1.20190129.421.1&utm_source=email&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=10-for-today---4.0-styling

Interesting.  I do not have a social media footprint unless they look at forums.  I have a mailing service as an address.  So I guess my credit report speaks for me..

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Ryno,

You might want to at least scan the article, the entire post was just the intro to what the article covers. Your social media and what you just said is exactly wrong.

You're online, type searches, go to certain places like this website, and all the time think the Apps you have in your phone do not interact with your computer activity right?

Read the article like I did and then your questions are answered.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived