Injector

Chuck

2003 Volvo vnl 610. About a mile from our campground I noticed the truck gunning bad, the computer mpg dropped significantly. Ran a fault check. 

1. Air inlet heater electrical fault

2. Injector #6 Electrical fault inactive.. 

these are new codes as I cleared all old ones some time ago. What is the connection between these 2 fault codes. Thoughts in what is going on.

There isn't any connection, other than 2 failures since the last code clearing. You've lost a grid heater, and sounds like an injector. Depending on ht e miles on all the injectors, it may be time to replace the whole bank.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

14 hours ago, Chuck said:

634,000 miles. Don't know if ever changed.  Closest shop is 18 miles. Ok to drive?

Certainly okay to drive 18 miles.. Prolly not 500 miles.. If the injector is not working, you're not getting fuel to lubricate the upper cylinder. A few miles are fine, but hundreds can do damage.

Inlet heater is the grid heater to warm the intake air for cold starting. Might make the truck run a bit rough when first started, but should not be an issue after 15mi. The heater fault could be the grid itself, or a power supply issue like a fuse or bad connection.

I would start with fresh fuel filters and see what happens after that.

The air heaters on Volvo engines, may come apart and be digested by the engine. Bad day when that happens. Just saying if apiece of the air heater grid comes off and is sucked into a cylinder hitting the injector tip, that would be the connection between the two codes.

Pull the intake hose and four bolts holding the grid heater, do a close visual inspection, looking for any missing or loose pieces. Cover the air inlet manifold while doing your inspection, don't  want anything  to fall into the air inlet.

ppbajell.jpg

Volvo VNL / Missouri Titled RV

Ved12 425HP

Super 10 Spd

37ft KOA Fifth Wheel

Jeep Rubicon Toad

Does this make sense.

d-12 Volvo engine. 644,000 miles. No active injector faults.

1. Truck died on me where we have been staying, Tombstone, the town to tough to die. Lol. Lost prime again. Could not reprime

2. towed to Vanguard Volvo in Tucson, thank you Coach net.

3 While I did have it running. Temp from heat gun on #6 exhaust port significantly cooler than the other ports.

4. Is there a connection between losing fuel prime and a bad injector or cup.?

5. Of course dealer wants to replace all 6 injectors. Wooh, hold on here. I told them to look at #6 only. Granted, the others perhaps should be changed, but I would rather wait until I get home in a few weeks.

6. Could it be just a cup and O ring issue?

Archived