RV Trip from San Antonio to San Diego

RedRaider89

This looks like an amazing Trip! Safe Travels!

Words To Live By:

• " Welcome To Our Campsite Where Friends And Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time" - Me
  • " Every problem in the world can be fixed with one of two items. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40." - Rving Review

States I've Visited:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

We have spent the last two winters in San Diego, from MN. We like the KOA in Tucson, the restaurant is very good. I'm originally from TX and their BBQ I think is quite good. The have citrus trees on every campspot. As far as campgrounds in San Diego, we stay at Chula Vista RV Resort. It's on the south bay and 14 miles by bicycle to dog beach on Coronado. It has full hook ups and is nice, a little old but kept up very well. It will be your closest option for Coronado with full hookups. Silverstrand does not have full hook ups. While your there the Taco truck on H street is the best place for seafood tacos around. The people are very nice and the customer base is also very nice. Tuesday is taco Tuesday and fish tacos are $1.35 each and awesome. Best of luck and have a great time!

Dasman321. I used to live in San Diego before I went full time 6 years ago. I have heard that the Chula Vista RV Resort has closed. Not sure. Will have to Google it. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

RV/ Derek. The toll for the bridge to Coronado ended many years ago. It is free in both directions and a lot better drive than going all the way south to go up Silver Strand, unless you intend to camp at Silver Strand State Park. To the OP, there is a nice KOA in Chula Vista that would be just over the bridge form Coronado and the Hotel Del. Also a San Diego City Park, Sweetwater RV Park in Chula Vista with full hook ups. Take your tow vehicle for sightseeing, the roads in and around San Diego are very crowded. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

That's great info two toes, but I don't guess you've been to Fiddler's Cove military RV Park and marina, it's very close to Silver strand State park. Here's a map that shows bot, just back out once or twice and Fiddler's cove shows: https://www.bing.com/maps?q=silver+strand+state+park+ca&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

You can see that Fiddlers is about dead center of the strand, and with the narrow lanes of the bridge I really prefer to take the Imperial beach exit even though the bridge is free now. However for civilian folks just visiting Coronado for the hotel or Air Station, and not going to Fiddler's (military retirees and active duty only) in a large motorhome or 36' fifth wheel, towed by a long bed 1ton diesel dually, the bridge is fine. Navigating the small town of Coronado with a big rig to go all that way after tiny roads and traffic just off the bridge to take the strand down to the middle for Fiddler's where we parked is more traffic drama than necessary. Fiddler's is just past the State park coming from Imperial Beach is much easier and a straighter shot from Imperial Beach exit. I just take a right from the exit ramp and follow the signs to the Strand. Pretty straight through town with no small streets to navigate, then bear right onto the strand. Just preference. But with no family there, and having been through there 6 years running of our seven fulltiming, I doubt we'll go back. I just wanted to let the traveling Military and retirees know that option for Fiddler's Cove or the State park. Glad you chimed in as my fulltime days were 1997-2003. Touring to Coronado in just the TV or toad, then the bridge makes sense for me too. Thanks for the info.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived