RV Trip from San Antonio to San Diego

RedRaider89

Hello Escapees,

It has been awhile since I have posted as I have been very busy working full-time during my semi-retirement.  However I plan on blocking out the summer for a family RV trip.   We are leaving from San Antonio, TX with final destination San Diego.  Ideal total time travel and stay 25 to 30 days.

Our first stop out of San Antonio will be Davis Mountain's state park where we plan on staying for 4 nights (did this last year).  From there I would really appreciate some ideas where to stop next until our final destination in San Diego.

I would prefer to keep our daily driving between RV spots to no more than 6 hours per sprint.  I would love some ideas on where to stop and sight see/hike on our way.  I will be traveling with my wife, 8 year old daughter and our 1 year old German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix.

Thank you in advance for ideas.

Tom

I like to keep our actual drive time to 4 hours per day because we stop enough to stretch our legs and eat to make those days about 6 hours from campsite to camp site. Using that formula it will take about a week for the actual driving. That gives you lots of time for stopping along the way.

What I like to do next is Google each location we plan to pass with the word tourism alongside the location name. That will give you the most popular stops along the way from which you can choose those that most appeal to your family. That will give you an idea of how long you want to be where.

Don't forget to include some days to just sit still and recover and some days for life errands like grocery shopping and doing laundry and some days to stay where you are because driving in that weather would not be pleasant.

We spend some of our travel nights in parking lots like at Walmart but you are talking about being in the south in the summer so you will want to be able to plug in to run your air conditioner.

Four hours would put you in Fort Stockton for your first night but I didn't find any RV parks listed there. There are plenty of them in Ozona, though, and a short first day is never a bad idea.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have stayed at Fort Stockton RV Park once on my way from San Antonio to San Diego. It is a former KOA. There is a restaurant in the park that is nice. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

I have stayed at Fort Stockton RV Park once on my way from San Antonio to San Diego. It is a former KOA. There is a restaurant in the park that is nice. 

How recently was that? I like to have a time frame of reference since lots of places I have been aren't there anymore and other places that weren't there before are there now. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We usually stay at El Paso military Famcamp, the Deming SKP park, then the SKP coop in Yuma AZ, then interstate 8 all the way in to San Diego. Being military we have those we stay at too on that route.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If you have not visited there, I suggest you make Carlsbad Caverns NP your next stop for a few days. From there it would be an easy drive to visit Alamogordo NM as you travel west. Is the  25 - 30 days for the round trip or just one way? How long do you want to stay in San Diego? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Suggest you check closely for spaces approaching/ past Ft Stockton, the oilfield is still pretty active out that way and lots of workers using the RV parks.  Past FS, the activity drops off rapidly. Kerrville is nice stop; Junction has a city park with free camping/no hookups but quiet and safe.  South LLano State Park in Junction is nice, but not sure it has been reactivated since serious flooding.

Edited by jblo

Fort Stockton has 11 RV parks, listed on RVParkReviews.  Many are not good but the best one rated a 9 is Escondido RV Park. It has a big dog park and grassy sites according to reviews.  http://www.escondidorvpark.com/?utm_source=campgroundreviews.com&utm_campaign=RVLife_Campgrounds&utm_medium=referral

You need to get off the interstate to find good things to do.  Some suggestions:  Balmorhea State Park, TX; White Sands Nat'l Mon., NM (the 8-year-old ((& you)) can rent a 'snow' saucer and sled down the sands.  Nice ranger programs especially a moonlight walk at times.; if ready to stop around Deming I'd suggest City of Rocks State Park - great fun the your child to see the unique formations; just north of Silver City, NM is the Catwalk trail - also very unique.

Chiricahua Nat'l Monument is another fun and unique place to see. Walk among the hoodoos. Stay in the park if your RV is small enough - look at the national park's web site, or stay in Wilcox.  Benson would be another fun stop. Stay at Kartchner Caverns State Park.  It's a beautiful campground and an awesome tour - totally different from Carlsbad.  Stay there anyway even if not taking the tour.  It's convenient for visiting Tombstone - an old western town and also take the mine tour at nearby Bisbee. You don yellow slickers and a miner's hat with light then hop on the mining car for entrance.  The tour is very well done by ex-miners.

Then there's Tucson which has many activities. Stay at Catalina State Park or Gilbert Ray campground.  Visit the Desert Museum, actually a zoo of desert animals - very nice.  See the giant Saguaros at Saguaro Nat'l Park. There's an air museum, too.  From Tucson to San Diego - not much.

San Diego - Santee Lakes is a nice place to stay if you can't get a place in San Diego. It's fairly close.   Have a fun trip! You didn't say what month you'll be going but after April it will be hot.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

And if you want to stop in the Yuma area before going over the hump to S.D. there is a museum at Yuma Proving Grounds (YPG). Also Colorado River State Historic Park, formerly Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park.  The Old Prison. If you have passports jump across the border to Los Algodones and enjoy shrimp tacos and margaritas.  And there is about 73 RV Parks in the Yuma area.

We recently spent a week in El Paso and would highly recommend the KOA in Anthony Texas. Be aware there is road construction so getting in is a little touchy.

Normally we stay in Las Cruces and would recommend Sunny Acres if your staying several days or there are several nice parks in Cruces near I-10 if it's just overnight.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

We stayed at Parkview RV Park in Fort Stockton in 2016. FHU and fairly level, but that's about all we could say about it. We weren't there for the park. We actually were there to visit Big Bend NP, but since it was Christmas time we wanted to be in a place where we had good cell phone service to talk to our kids. We did visit the Fort, too. We left the campground before sunrise so we could be in BB early morning. Spent the day and got back just after dark.

We've stayed at The Ranch and liked it. They advertise themselves as the friendliest SKP park, and I can believe it. Carlsbad Caverns isn't that far away one way, and Roswell isn't all that far the other way.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

The only RV park which I would recommend in Ft. Stockton is the "old KOA" which is east of town on I-10.The other parks are either run-down or full of oil field workers.

I would not recommend any parks at Ozona. The LLano River South park in Junction was flooded in Sept. and has not fully recovered.

Either of the parks on I-10 at Van Horn are acceptable for me.

Avid the RV park at Vado, NM.

ShortyO

I found an interesting app. It is called Visitor Tips. It is like the big racks of brochures and folders about local attractions you see at big welcome centers or big rest areas. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

On 1/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, RedRaider89 said:

Hello Escapees,

It has been awhile since I have posted as I have been very busy working full-time during my semi-retirement.  However I plan on blocking out the summer for a family RV trip.   We are leaving from San Antonio, TX with final destination San Diego.  Ideal total time travel and stay 25 to 30 days.

Our first stop out of San Antonio will be Davis Mountain's state park where we plan on staying for 4 nights (did this last year).  From there I would really appreciate some ideas where to stop next until our final destination in San Diego.

I would prefer to keep our daily driving between RV spots to no more than 6 hours per sprint.  I would love some ideas on where to stop and sight see/hike on our way.  I will be traveling with my wife, 8 year old daughter and our 1 year old German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix.

Thank you in advance for ideas.

Tom

I'm sure you know SUMMER along I-10 is very hot in the summer. 

I would probably drive directly to San Diego in 3-4 travel days and then on the way back go up to I-40 on the way back (or take I-40 on the way out).  Lots of stuff around Flagstaff (Grand Canyon) and then around Grants NM the lava fields are interesting for 2 to 6 day stop.

Around Grants:  El Malpais Nat Monument with Ice Caves.  Nice campground at El Morro Nat Monument, elevation pretty high so temps pretty moderate.   Also a fun drive to the top of Mt Taylor at about 11,500 feet.  Go north on SR-547 and then a Forest Service Rd to the peak.  Great views from the summit.  Check with the Forest Service for info and road conditions.

In ABQ there is a tram to the top of Sandia Peak and a very nice restaurant with seating for a great sunset dinner. Don't know what the restaurant is like now it has been 20 years since we were there, but the sunset will be fantastic.  Old Town in ABQ is worth a visit as well.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I really appreciate everyone's replies and advice!  This is what we are thinking now as major stops.

1. From San Antonio to Davis Mountains State Park for 4 nights - Already booked and we are staying in the park with full hookups
  2. From Davis Mountains State Park to Las Cruces, New Mexico for 3 to 4 nights - Would love some suggestions for a RV park with full hook ups
  3. From Las Cruces to Tuscon, Arizona area to state 2 to 4 nights - Would love suggestions for an RV Park wit Full Hook Ups
  4. From Tucson to San Diego. Would like to stay at an RV Park as close to Hotel Del Coronado as possible.  Our plan is to stay for 5 nights.  Again any RV Park suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Tom

https://www.bing.com/search?q=RV+Parks+IMperial+beach+CA&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=rv+parks+imperial+beach+ca&sc=3-26&sk=&cvid=D9B17E5F10E643C088611307563D27EA

We are retired military so we stayed at Fiddler's cove http://get.dodlodging.net/propertys/Fiddler’s-Cove-Marina--RV-Park for from a week to a month every year from 1997 to 2003 when we were full time. Fiddler's Cove is a military FamCamp and has boat rental as well as the marina and RV park, which is only for military and Retired and DOD civilians. You can be a guest if you know someone assigned next door to the Navy seals HQ or at the Coronado Air Station. Sites are at a premium in summer and sometimes are only first come first served. The further South you go on the Strand the less desirable until in Imperial Beach it gets like any Mexican Border town.

Big tip, the Strand is that long skinny peninsula from Imperial beach to Coronado. You will come into San Diego on I-8. Just follow it to I-5 and go south to the Imperial beach exit, the last exit before the Tijuana Mexico border crossing. You turn right when you exit. If you go over the bridge right next to Coronado it costs per axle and I detested that bridge even in a truck alone. Instead go south on I-5 and take the Imperial Beach exit turn right and follow the signs for Silver Strand Blvd. https://www.bing.com/search?q=IMperial+beach+CA+maps&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR .

There is no toll going via Imperial Beach, no hairy narrow lanes and climbs, and the scenery is worth it. And no issues if you are staying at one of the Imperial beach RV parks. This is the best for civilians: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=YEtRSyiz&id=9814EF17DC7187CBFAD4A418E4DD691907B70C42&thid=OIP.YEtRSyizSHnoqVzsAdL_GQHaEW&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2f736x%2f1a%2f9a%2f05%2f1a9a05f230affaae441bade342237782--beach-camping-wild-west.jpg&exph=432&expw=736&q=Silver+Strand+State+Beach+Camping+Spots&simid=608052425738160800&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

https://www.campgroundviews.com/listing/silver-strand-state-beach/

The Silver Strand campground is the closest to the Del Coronado for civilians. If you want to call do as they are closed a few months this year for maintenance.

Hope that helps.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I’m doing same trip right now....I did it this time last year and here is where I stayed.

Van Horn Texas / Desert Willow RV Park....I stayed her two nights and it was fantastic and with Passport America, very inexpensive.

next stop, Deming NM......if you don’t mind a well maintained, dirt road.... Hidden Valley Ranch RV Park is fantastic. This is my fourth year here and I’m staying three weeks...with Passport America is is crazy inexpensive. Great WiFi and lots to explore....

another option is the beautiful City of Rocks Park. Lots of sites and no need for reservations. I spoke to ranger and she said no one is turned away. They will make room.

next stop is Quartzite......BLM...camp wherever you like

next stop....Joshua Tree...before you get tonentrace of Park it is all BLM with some nice camp spots. I spent two weeks here last year. Wonderful!

next stop...Anza Borrego.....lots of BLM or a fantastic state park. Plan on spending lots of time as there is lots to see and do

hope this helps!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

7 hours ago, Al F said:

I'm sure you know SUMMER along I-10 is very hot in the summer. 

I would probably drive directly to San Diego in 3-4 travel days and then on the way back go up to I-40 on the way back (or take I-40 on the way out).  Lots of stuff around Flagstaff (Grand Canyon) and then around Grants NM the lava fields are interesting for 2 to 6 day stop.

Around Grants:  El Malpais Nat Monument with Ice Caves.  Nice campground at El Morro Nat Monument, elevation pretty high so temps pretty moderate.   Also a fun drive to the top of Mt Taylor at about 11,500 feet.  Go north on SR-547 and then a Forest Service Rd to the peak.  Great views from the summit.  Check with the Forest Service for info and road conditions.

In ABQ there is a tram to the top of Sandia Peak and a very nice restaurant with seating for a great sunset dinner. Don't know what the restaurant is like now it has been 20 years since we were there, but the sunset will be fantastic.  Old Town in ABQ is worth a visit as well. 

The restruant at the top is closed and being rebuilt bigger and supposedly better. The last I heard if I remember they hope to open it by the Balloon Festival in Oct of 2019 but that is not for certain. Weather is of course one of the big factors. 

My mom had Alzheimer's and lived in Chula Vista with my two half brothers. So every year we full-timed we started from our winter quarters in NW Louisiana at our RV full hookup site on family property in early March or so. Then we'd head west on I-20 all the way to El Paso, then 10 W to 8W to Fiddler's cove and they'd come out and visit since we were on the water with a nice resort. We got in the habit and did 40 twice and for two years we would stay at the Cove on the way out, or on the way back each year. We've done I-70 back as well as I-90. 

For military retirees there are military RV parks called FamCamps everywhere there is a base or post. We've swung by the USAF Academy and Colorado Springs twice too. We're moving back there as one of the beat places we've lived in CONUS. (Continental US) More so now as with global warming, in ten years we will be less inclined to move again. And it is far from Coasts, tornado alley, the western earthquakes and Volcanos. And far from the annually increasing heat in the humid South and the dry but terrible summer heat in the lower altitudes of the Southwest. We had 115° in Yuma our first trip out, we learned. So we used Escapees and Military parks while on the road 9 months of the year. And of course at the National Parks' surrounding RV parks. Always did Algodones Mexico, and Astoria OR, SeaTac, and lots of places in between. There is too much to see and do in our great country, so don't worry about anything you miss on one trip, you can catch it on the next.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

From San Antonio to Ft Davis, take Hiway 90 rather than I-10.  Good road, no traffic and much prettier.  Going to be just about the same time as taking I-10.  We like to do about four hours per day then we don't have to worry about finding a place to stay, setting up in the dark, or spending the next day recuperating.  There's plenty of places to stay between Del Rio and Ft Davis.

Four days would be a long time in Ft Davis.  I guess you could do the observatory four times.  The fort is worth about a half day of wandering around.  Alpine is a nice town and worth a day or two.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk