Are you happy with the comfort of furniture / bed?

keepitlow

I have a front living 42 feet fiver with two couches and two so called theater recliners the couches fold out to queen size beds and we like them but the recliners are to short for me. I am only 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs. I have to fold my legs to fit. We would think that a fiver that lists for $116,000 would have done a better job with the recliners? Good Luck

100% of beds are horrible in my experience, and most other furniture varies from not good to horrible.  We knew we'd be replacing the mattress on our new TT, so we didn't even unwrap the stock one.  Sold it in the plastic for $50, and it was an easy sale so maybe I could have asked more.  I don't haggle though, just list things at a good, firm price.

This was a fantastic upgrade:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW7H5ZW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are also considering some memory foam upgrades for the dining/second bed area.  It has zip cushions so it wouldn't be hard to do.

4 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

it could be similar to comparing Tim Horton's Coffee to ground compost.

The Canadian brigade should be along to politely explain how you are wrong.  (I don't know, don't think I've had it.)

Ah, I see.  I roast my own at home, so I'm familiar with the difference from ground compost served at most places.  I feel like I need to try Tim Horton's, but fear the Canadian wrath if I end up not liking it.

Anyone know a good source of replacement foam for furniture?  Local sources seem very expensive.

We have added a memory foam pad to the mattress of most of the RVs that we have owned. We have replaced foam cushions in most of them with new ones made from upholstery foam because the RV industry builds a cheaply as possible. Most of the problem comes from the fact that most RV buyers choose the RV based more on cheap prices than on quality. The history of RV manufacturing is littered with skeletons of companies that tried to maintain quality and charge what that requires for the RVs that they built. Most of them fail from poor sales. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I was aware that I'd be going in dealing with a bunch of issues out of the box.

Did you ever buy a new house? It really isn't that much different And if you buy from Marathon or Newell, you probably won't have that problem with a new RV.  😊

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have owned several fivers and the first thing we did was get our own leather incliners and now Gel foam medium memory mattresses. Toppers are just not the same. We have gotten our RV Queen for our last Sunnybrook which suited us fine. Gel on a top layer of at least 2"  sleeps cooler. We had to live in our Sunnybrook for a year while the new house was being done. We bought an 8" short queen mattress thinking it would be less comfortable than our 12" memory foam mattress in the house. Not so, it was great. Memory foam mattresses are made for placement on a hard surface like the plywood in an RV bed foundation. We've tried toppers and they are just not the same thing. And since we bought for ~ $200-$250 on Amazon we always sold them for the same and the local folks thought they were great second hand.

Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B00474X5DO/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1548193345&sr=1-5&keywords=gel%2Bmemory%2Bfoam%2Bmattress%2Bqueen&th=1

Now look at the sies and you will see the "short" Queen which is 75"X60"X10", a regular queen is 80"X60"X10". Many RVs have a short queen so measure yours.

We have bought the last four mattresses from Amazon and the value is awesome. Just be prepared to roll it out and sleep in another bed for at least 48 hours to let it expand properly.

We don't like cloth recliners and buy leather from a regular furniture store paying attention to the footprint of the old ones. We buy incliners because they don't require more room behind them than a non-recliner.

Looking at the ratings and reviews the Lucid advertised in the link above would be one I would pick today. We just bought a king size memory foam bed and all my lower back pain on waking in bed is gone.

For our tiny Scamp we bought a king size topper to go over the rear sofa cushions and it just fit! The back raises to make two bunk beds that would fit an adult. But we don't travel with kids and never traveled with company. So when I put the back up with the steel supports provided and used all the cushions displaced to extend the queen pads that are stock, we ended up with this, a four inch gel cooling topper over the four inches of firm cushions that were stock. Using the stock cushions you sleep sideways from the camper's side to side, i am 6feet and it was OK but I couldn't stretch. With the King pad we sleep long ways. Before we decided to move to Colorado we planned to use it a lot and have not used it once in the year we have owned it. Maybe we'll just get a Van camper class B or some such.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My wife likes "her" OEM theater seats, so we left them in the rig. I hated the sofa-bed, so it's in storage and my Ekornes Stressless recliner is in that space. The mattress was replaced with a good "residential" foam mattress early on.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Original mattress was thin junk from the Colorado Mattress Co.  Replaced it with a regular mattress from a mattress store.  It was fine for a few years, but I wanted a king bed in the RV since we have a king in the S&B.  I'm VERY happy with the Purple mattress I bought for the RV.  Not cheap, but sleep is GREAT, now that I'm used to it.  If you KNOW what bed you have in you S&B and you are happy with it, consider buying one for your RV.  That should mean no adjustment period that sometimes happens when sleeping on a new mattress. 

Only complaint about the original recliners is my foot/recliner lever doesn't always work.  When the time comes, it will be replaced with a Lazy Boy.

We replaced the original mattress with a Serta that was designed for RV's and didn't need an extra foundation.  It's aged a bit so recently we added a pretty high quality latex topper.  There are lots of reasons why we chose latex over memory foam which is more common and less expensive.  Suffice it to say we were thrilled with the purchase.  Here's a link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EK0E3X6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 3 weeks later...

Sleep Number makes an RV King size bed. I had a Sleep Number in the S&B, figured I would have one in the RV. I bought one direct from Sleep Number for the old RV, it is offered as an upgrade in new DRV's.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Shortly after taking delivery of our latest 5th wheel we gave away the theater recliners and bought a pair of Lazy Boy recliners. We kept the sleeper sofa as we rarely use it and it give us an extra bed if necessary. We also replaced the mattress with a Sleep Number RV Mattress. We haven’t made any other furniture changes.

When I order my latest FW, the salesman recommended trying the OEM vs Amish built furniture. Very quickly the RV was ordered without the sofa and recliners. The mattress was replaced with the Spring Aire taken from my trade. We are very happy with the result.

Clay

2016 DRV MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Yes; we are quite happy with our furniture. Mattress is a Serta double-sided pillow-top, the only down-side is it is quite heavy to flip; well, it suppose once in 19 years is not excessive effort.☺️

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 years later...

Seems nearly all of the manufacturers are going cheap on the furniture and mattresses.  If you high end and custom, you can spec the furniture or even get one with all of the furniture to be deleted.  I know of several folks that made a trip to Indiana and picked up better furniture there.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot