Ant carrying a french fry

Hot Rod

Interesting setup. The airlines appear to be connected to the truck so I wonder if there is some sort of compressor driven addons available for the truck brakes, and IF that trailer is empty it should be well within the capacity of that F-450 but it sure looks messed up. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Mico makes the relay valve, but pretty sure you have to make your own air/tractor protection kit.  The problem is that most hydraulic ABS ECU's aren't set up with PLC so the truck can't light a dash light when the trailer has a ABS fault, which is required.  So you have to do it on a truck older than 2001 or Big5er gets ya.

https://www.mico.com/sites/default/files/document-pdfs/80460051Hydraulic Over Air Relay Valves_0.pdf

That' video is a new trailer getting delivered isn't it?

One of our truck shop customers had/has two similar trucks, one an F450 and the other an F550, that they used for moving empty trailers to/from their trailer repair/rebuild shop and the customers yards. The last I knew, at least one of them had hit 150K miles and was still in service. They both had a compressor and air tank on board, but I don't recall how the air brake control system was set up.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I see this all the time. There are 2 Semi truck manufacturers in my area. They are often delivered this way. I got close enough to one pickup to see they had a big air tank on the bed.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I'm surprised that a dry van weighs that much.  My hopper trailer is less than half that. But then, I don't have a wood floor, that will hold up a fork lift.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I'm surprised that a dry van weighs that much.  My hopper trailer is less than half that. But then, I don't have a wood floor, that will hold up a fork lift.

What kind of hopper do you have? Mine weighs around 12,000.

I saw this on a travel trailer FB group. I thought it rich that a bunch feel that its great to tow a 35 ft travel trailer with a 1/2 ton. Yet this was out of line. I gave up on the page to many idiots

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

11 hours ago, jenandjon said:

What kind of hopper do you have? Mine weighs around 12,000.

I have a 41' Wilson, spring ride, ag hoppers.  Tare is roughly 9k.  Hooked to my CH613 Mack, it's 25k with 1/2 tank of fuel and a 300# doofus behind the wheel.:D

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On Sunday I sold the OEM crappy foam bed from my new TT to a guy who is going to be doing this with his Chevy 1-ton.  He turned the back of the extended cab into a bed, and stuffed in the mattress.  Apparently there's money to be made moving empty trailers quickly on demand, and at only 15k it's well within limits.

9 hours ago, Carlos said:

He turned the back of the extended cab into a bed, and stuffed in the mattress.

LOL, and he will try to log his off duty time as "sleeper berth" until he runs into that nasty DOT cop who shows him that his back seat isn't wide enough to be a sleeper berth and shuts him down for violating his hours of service. 😎 Send him down my way. I love to hear drivers explain how they spent the night in a berth they don't have.

2014 smart Fortwo

On 1/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, rickeieio said:

I have a 41' Wilson, spring ride, ag hoppers.  Tare is roughly 9k.  Hooked to my CH613 Mack, it's 25k with 1/2 tank of fuel and a 300# doofus behind the wheel.:D

I'm only hauling 100 bushels more than you and I have 7 axles. Something tells me all theses extra pushers and tags may not be worth the headache. I have a 50 ft Timpte with a 07 Pete. Empty around 33,000.

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

LOL, and he will try to log his off duty time as "sleeper berth" until he runs into that nasty DOT cop who shows him that his back seat isn't wide enough to be a sleeper berth and shuts him down for violating his hours of service. 😎 Send him down my way. I love to hear drivers explain how they spent the night in a berth they don't have.

Judging by how many people do it successfully, I guess maybe our police or laws are more reasonable out here?  Dunno, not in the business so never paid attention other than just hearing about it.

If it has a Woodhouse kit to meet CFR393.76 you'd never notice it from the outside.  It is all done inside the truck so what you see going down the road might still be legit. Hopefully that is the mattress/restraint kit this guy bought to put in? 

On 1/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, Carlos said:

Judging by how many people do it successfully, I guess maybe our police or laws are more reasonable out here?  Dunno, not in the business so never paid attention other than just hearing about it.

Since they are Federal regulations, the "law out here" isn't any more reasonable that in any other state. Since you are not in the business and "never paid attention" I'm betting that means you really have no idea how reasonably your officers enforce that violation.

Scrap, I've seen 2 converted back seats in my career...compared to tons of bench seats with a mattress. Have you ever met anyone that actually met anyone that bought one? That aren't cheap...well a couple of grand anyway. And even then, it's still fairly cramped...especially with some thing to haul clothes and stuff in. I think I'd go nuts moving stuff around to get enough room to get into the "bed" every night. 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 1/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, Big5er said:

I have seen 2 different companies that make a retro fit kit to make a crew cab DOT sleeper compliant. The windows are up and fixed in place and all the window guts are removed and inner door skin cut ot. the a little pan is added and then it has a funky safety net thingy that also meets the other part of DOT. Looks uncomfortable.  I really dont understand the hot shot truck industry. any trailer worth pulling is over 10k which means class A license.  If going that route then why not a real working truck.  

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

Yea Big5er the one guy I got caught up with was raising hell at the parts counter claiming they gave him a mis-made bunk restraint.  Went out to look at his truck and turns out it is our upper bunk restraint that is used but made to different dimensions.  He wasn't a real happy feller in general, and me and the Pumas and headsets guys don't click too well either, so poked around his truck for a bit and that was about it.  Losing your passenger seat has got to be the part that sucks the most.

A few years ago when making the crew cab vs 40" sleeper decision the market research guys brought a bunch of the crewcab guys in.  No trucks but they had to bring a binder/powerpoint explaining their operation and pics of their (legit) conversion.  It seemed like there were a whole bunch of them out there but it was a targeted go-find-em deal and they probably had every legit one in the country in one small room....😏

Anyways, $1.00 per mile operating cost is still the main target, just like it has always been.  Getting harder and harder every year...

Archived