Parking 5th wheel on grass

MYBLUEYES

Hello everyone...

I'm getting my 5th wheel delivered any day now.....waiting new door  :)

we can not park it by the house no outlet , however my garage (building) has proper hookup but the RV cant fit in it so we will need to park it right outside on the grass and possibly run an extension cord.

my question is I have grass and when it rains it gets VERY wet. I was told I can use wood planks is this true? and will 2 inch be ok cut to size

I also saw this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitches-Trailer-Magnets-Single/dp/B0754NWJGR/ref=asc_df_B0754NWJGR/?hvlocphy=9024453&linkCode=df0&hvptwo=&psc=1&hvnetw=g&hvadid=312158556601&hvpone=&hvlocint=&hvpos=1o1&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvqmt=&tag=hyprod-20&hvtargid=pla-569512236131&hvrand=12202739784666744957&ref_=nav_ya_signin&_encoding=UTF8

I really don't want to waste my time or money buying shell or concrete

would this work? I don't want the RV to sink lol

Those blocks in your link are meant to reduce how far you have to extend the jacks. They are not designed to spread the weight. I would not buy them unless you have to park on a steep enough slope to need supports under one end.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have seen 12 inch squares of 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood used. 

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

A great deal of the right answer is dependant on what type of ground you have under the grass. Where we presently live the soil is at least half sand and so is actually more solid when wet than dry. Wet grass is still a bit of a problem because it is very slick so tow vehicles frequently spin when trying to pull an RV our even with minimal sinking in of the tires. On the other hand, in places with good loam soils when wet most RVs will slowly begin to sink into the ground. Does the RV have leveling jacks or will you need to use planks under the tires to do that? 2" X 8" planks can work well for that purpose if you don't need too many of them to get level. If the planks are only to spread the weight, then they will work but the needed length will depend on soil conditions and just how wet it will be. If it will be very wet for a long period, you probably should go to 2" X 10" planks and I would make them longer. I'd plan on at least 8' in length under the wheels and perhaps 3' long under the leveling jacks, stabilizers and the front legs. 

If the proper hookup you speak of in the garage is a 30A or a 50A outlet that fits the RV power cord, then you could safely use it as long as you use a 30A or 50A extension cord, as appropriate. If it is 30A, be very sure that the outlet is a 120V-30A outlet and not the 240V-30A type. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, MYBLUEYES said:

Hello everyone...

I'm getting my 5th wheel delivered any day now.....waiting new door  :)

we can not park it by the house no outlet , however my garage (building) has proper hookup but the RV cant fit in it so we will need to park it right outside on the grass and possibly run an extension cord.

my question is I have grass and when it rains it gets VERY wet. I was told I can use wood planks is this true? and will 2 inch be ok cut to size

I also saw this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitches-Trailer-Magnets-Single/dp/B0754NWJGR/ref=asc_df_B0754NWJGR/?hvlocphy=9024453&linkCode=df0&hvptwo=&psc=1&hvnetw=g&hvadid=312158556601&hvpone=&hvlocint=&hvpos=1o1&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvqmt=&tag=hyprod-20&hvtargid=pla-569512236131&hvrand=12202739784666744957&ref_=nav_ya_signin&_encoding=UTF8

I really don't want to waste my time or money buying shell or concrete

would this work? I don't want the RV to sink lol

I do not think they will work.  If you think about it you are adding pounds per square inch with those as it is just a lip that is in contact with the ground and not the hole jack.  Sinking will all depend on the type of soil you have as Kirk said.  If you have swampy soil not much is going to help with out pouring concrete runners or a pad.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Some of the RV lot owners at a park where I have two lots do use planks of wood under their tires. This is in the UP of MI at a waterfront RV park, Lake Huron. It can stay wet for days at a time because that part of MI gets its fair share of rain and snow. They don't move the RVs much during the season, May thru mid October, if they did try to move then when the ground was wet they would have a mess and could get stuck. The park has spent lots of money on drainage. When we have heavy rains we don't to stop the water because it is going in Lake Huron.

This is an interesting topic for me because I often park on snow in somewhat plowed dirt lots.  I have 3/4"+  3'x3' sheets for my semi front tires.  I also recently got a set of 3' x 12" plastic planks with grips for the rears (could be use on the RV).  Tonight I am going into an area that has recently had more than 20" of snow this week (Rabbit Ears Pass, Co) so I will also be chained up.  Really hoping that the lot has been plowed down to the dirt!

So yes use some planks of wood and get a few yards of road base and put down where the RV will park it will make a big difference.  I also park on grass with the semi and do similar, got these suggestions from this HDT group.  

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

I’m just asking but if this is your property why not order a couple loads of rock ? 

Sounds like you know where your going to park . 

My biggest concern is your statement saying you have the power at the garage. 

Make sure this is not  220V welder recpticle or you’ll toast your new toy! 

Safe Travels 

• 4 weeks later...

I use 2" x 10" planks 6 feet long for under the tires for leveling.  For the front mounts I would make as big of a 

wood plate for under each front jack as possible to spread out the weight, maybe 2' x 2' about 2" thick.

Or as one poster stated a load of gravel to make a dry parking area for your trailer.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

I know most will not have this item to use. But I have used old belting off Rock plant conveyor's. I picked up some 36" wide belts. Got them in 40ft lengths, lay them down inside my Pole barn. Keeps the tires off the ground. And it dose get soft in there also. In 3 years, its held the tire up. This belting is around 3/8" thick. Have seen people lay down old brick also. Then the belting over the brick.

event.png

Archived