Yellowstone

SuiteSuccess

Thinking of Yellowstone and Teton National Park late August or early September.  Any suggestions on campgrounds?  Only couple listed to the South on Resource Guide.  Our total length 68'.  Would be willing to drive up to hour away from parks if campground is nice.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I stayed at Grizzlies RV Park in West Yellowstone 2 years ago and it was great, right at the Park entrance, I am 72 ft and had no problem getting in,

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

7 minutes ago, Tom& said:

I stayed at Grizzlies RV Park in West Yellowstone 2 years ago and it was great, right at the Park entrance, I am 72 ft and had no problem getting in,

Thanks Tom. Someone else suggested that. Easy highway access to get there?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks Tom. Someone else suggested that. Easy highway access to get there?

As I remember we came in from the North off of I90 on US 287 had no problem,  don’t know about other approaches.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Grand Teton & Yellowstone:

Wife and I went there about 15 years ago and I loved it very much. We tent camped from Las Vegas to the U.P. of Michigan then down across the bridge to her home town of Paris Michigan. Yep I go to Paris almost every year and never have to get on an airplane.

Anyway we spent a week there. For those of you who have been there you know you don’t have to look very hard for wildlife or guess where something is. When you see the 30 cars pulled off on the side of the road, yep something is there. So we are driving between Teton and Stone in the 10 mile stretch of connector highway. I see the mob of cars pulled off on both sides of the road and the crowd building. I pull over, get out and put a can of pepper spray in my pocket J.I.C. (just in case) down the ravine about 50 yards is a mother black bear and two cubs. She is trying to get away from the crowd and her cubs to a safer, quieter location. One of the tourist, starts running / jogging toward the bear shouting HEY BEAR! HEY BEAR! The bear stops turns around and looks at the now confused tourist. I turned on my heal, and went back to my truck, a Nissian Frontier at the time, and left.

I hope nothing happened to that person but, we all need somebody to win the “Darwin Award” each day!

Later,

Vegas Teacher

I stayed at Buffalo Crossing RV Park when we went to Yellowstone.  It is a smallish park in town with largish sites right outside the west entrance to the park in West Yellowstone.  I pulled in with the HDT, 5er and Jeep in tow and had room for everything at the site.  You can walk to anything in town from the park (as it is pretty centrally located).  I would stay there again.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We stayed at

Valley View RV Park
5152 US-20
Island Park, Idaho 83429
Phone: (208) 558-7443

Last summer for a month.

It is not fancy but the owners are great.

It definitely will handle a rig of your size.

It is located about 20 minutes fro the West Entrance to Yellowstone Park.

If you stay for a month the rate is considerably less that the daily & weekly rates.

Carl,

Longhorn RV in Dubois, WY can easily handle us.  We stayed there for 4 days, then moved to Grizzly in West Yellowstone, for another 4 days.  From there, we moved to yellowstone's edge, between the park and Livingston, MT.  All were fine for our rig (65'),  but our favorites were Longhorn and Yellowstone's Edge.

Please consider spending more than a day in the Tetons, and a week around Yellowstone would not be enough.  Lamar Valley and Beartooth Pass are particularly spectacular.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Carl,  We stay in Gardiner, MT (North Gate) each year.  Both RV parks there can be a little on the tight side but will accommodate a setup your size.

Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone is more spacious.  West Yellowstone is also a little bit larger town than Gardiner.  Depending on time of season the lines at the West Gate can get a little long but the West Gate is a good jumping off point for the different corners of the park.

Nothing inside the park is going to accommodate your.  The only full hookup RV campground is Fishing Bridge.  Fishing Bridge RV park is going to be closed for renovations for the 2019 season.  This is a large RV park.  So other RV parks are already filling up quickly.  We could not get our usual spot for May and spots were filling up quickly (this was 30~45 days ago).  So make your reservations as soon as you have your dates. 

As for Grand Teton National Park, we stay at Colter Bay RV park in the park.  They have a handful of spots that will accommodate your rig size.  Just make sure you are clear about your size when registering and they will save you a big spot.  They do a good job managing the sites to rig sizes.

Debois, WY will put you about 1.5 hours out of Grand Teton National Park.  From GTNP to the south end of the Grand Loop in Yellowstone is yet another hour depending on weather, road and wildlife conditions.

Call me if you have any questions.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Again thanks to everyone for the input.  Sounds like a good (but long) trip.  Will be over 4000 miles round trip.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

We were there in Gardiner in August.  Stayed at Yellowstone RV park...it was tight.  We were 65 feet.  Had to unhook our rig and park up by the entrance next to the outhouse/shower.  Oh yeah they had about 6 miles of park roadway all dug up and repairing on the Westside off the park...what a mess.  Still trying to get all the mud off of the motorcycles.  It's like concrete.  The road is closed now for the winter so can't tell you if they've finished the repairs.

Ok, just made our reservations for Buffalo Crossing.  Grizzly was $500 more for the 2 week stay and didn't have any long sites left.  Buffalo Crossing not as fancy but right at the entrance in West Yellowstone.  We don't really care that much about amenities since we only will be in the camper at night to sleep.  BTW Buffalo has only 2 sites left for Sept if anyone is thinking of going.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Last time we stayed at Buffalo Run RV Park & Cabins. We were doing things on that side of the park and the Caribou-Targhee National Forest area. Nice place.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

On 1/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Ok, just made our reservations for Buffalo Crossing.  Grizzly was $500 more for the 2 week stay and didn't have any long sites left.  Buffalo Crossing not as fancy but right at the entrance in West Yellowstone.  We don't really care that much about amenities since we only will be in the camper at night to sleep.  BTW Buffalo has only 2 sites left for Sept if anyone is thinking of going.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

We enjoyed our stay at Buffalo Crossings.  We also only spent the evenings in the park, so we thought it was perfect.  If you are interested, we took a day outside the park and went to a “dood” ranch west of West Yellowstone (it may have been just over the Idaho border, but I can’t remember for sure without looking it up).  We did a trail ride there at the ranch and it was a great day.  It was not a typical follow in a straight line type trail ride that I am not a big fan of.  It was a great trip and a very nice ride over lots of different terrain and through some very beutiul country, including some water crossings.  If you have any interest, I can pull out the information and pass it on to you.  I would do it again in a heart beat and would definitely recommend it if you have any interest in that type of activity.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Just out of curiosity what routing did anyone coming from the south or southwest use?  We spoke to some “folks in the know “ and we are probably  taking I-25 North out of Cheyenne to Casper and 26 over to Dubois then 26/191 through to West Yellowstone.  They said good scenery and not bad in the rig.  Will probably come back south on I-15 connect to I-80 heading back to the Southwest.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

To me it would depend on what you want to see.  Thermopolis has the Hot Springs State Park, Legend Rock Petroglyph Site and the Dinosaur Museum. Cody has the Buffalo Bill Center Museum Complex, Old Trail Town, and the Nightly Rodeo. From Cody, a loop of the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway with stops for a break in Red Lodge and Cooke City makes a nice day trip.

The drive through the park from the East Entrance to West Yellowstone can be slow. Check the park construction webpage.

Archived