FT Noobs seek Mentors

Chad&Jen

The DW and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We are putting our house in MD up for sale in the spring and beginning the fulltime lifestyle soon after.  These forums have already provided an incredible resource for information, but we are hoping to begin both an online and offline dialog with a veteran FT couple who are willing to mentor us through this exciting, yet anxiety-ridden chapter.  We attended the Kansas rally in 2017, so we know just enough to be dangerous.  Our focus right now is getting on the road, not so much being on the road.  The logistics of this transition are beyond daunting and being able to learn from those that have been where we are would be a tremendous resource.

The mrs is a retired US Navy officer, so those in the military family would be especially helpful.  Our current plan is to establish residency in SD, but we're willing to entertain other states.  We will be in the Tricare health system.  We recently purchased a Volvo 780 with a hauler bed and will likely purchase the fiver/smart after our house sells.

We hope to pay this gesture forward in the years ahead after we get our feet underneath us, but for now, we are information sponges and want to soak up all the wisdom we can find.  Much thanks in advance for those willing to lend a hand.

My wife and I left Maryland ~8 years ago and continue to have a wonderful experience as full-timers.  We became SD residents and had no problems separating ourselves from MD"s taxation authorities.  Since then we've traveled  >60k miles all around North America.  There are many people on this forum who have as much or more experience than we do, but we'd be glad to help as you wish.

FWIW my key observation is that no matter how much you read here and elsewhere, you will eventually need to define what full-timing means to you.  IMO there is no right or wrong way to full-time, although some might lead you to believe there is.  We have defined a style that suits us and we don't necessarily advocate it for anyone else. Do what feels good to you; you will have less stress and won't feel as if you have to live up to anyone else's standards.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We escaped Maryland in 2006 and have been full-timing since.  Virtually everything we did to prep for the full-time life style, outfit our fifth-wheel and then a motorhome as we downsized in 2016. is documented on our website.  The url in in our signature,

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

14 hours ago, Chad&Jen said:

The DW and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We are putting our house in MD up for sale in the spring and beginning the fulltime lifestyle soon after.  These forums have already provided an incredible resource for information, but we are hoping to begin both an online and offline dialog with a veteran FT couple who are willing to mentor us through this exciting, yet anxiety-ridden chapter.  We attended the Kansas rally in 2017, so we know just enough to be dangerous.  Our focus right now is getting on the road, not so much being on the road.  The logistics of this transition are beyond daunting and being able to learn from those that have been where we are would be a tremendous resource.

The mrs is a retired US Navy officer, so those in the military family would be especially helpful.  Our current plan is to establish residency in SD, but we're willing to entertain other states.  We will be in the Tricare health system.  We recently purchased a Volvo 780 with a hauler bed and will likely purchase the fiver/smart after our house sells.

We hope to pay this gesture forward in the years ahead after we get our feet underneath us, but for now, we are information sponges and want to soak up all the wisdom we can find.  Much thanks in advance for those willing to lend a hand.

Hi Chad,

Can you and your wife make it to the ECR this year ? There is a great group of people that comes to the rally who full time but they don't post much at all. My thinking is to make a face to face contact. Maybe more people will comment on my statement. Everyone in the HDT group are all more than willing to help each other out. I am not a full timer. I wish I could help you out.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Chad and Jen      We aren't full timing but since we fully retired 3 years ago from a defense contractor and from the Navy in 1995 after 30 Years we are on the road a lot but not as much as we would like. We are down in Chesapeake Va so if you get down this way give us a call. We will be at the ECR so hope you can make it there in April. Till we meet be safe.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived